Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Is it ignorance that makes the K1000 more desirable?
Yep, though that is a good thing.

Steve

11-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But most of the cameras are much older...
It is my experience that seals may go bad in as little as eight years. Much depends on the amount of ozone in the air and the quality of the last set of seals installed. My Super Program (no older than 1984) required new seals when I bought it three years ago and my Olympus XA (no older than 1979) has had two sets of seals since I bought it eight years ago.

It is a good rule of thumb to inquire about the state of the seals before purchase and then test the seals immediately upon receipt. Do it even before testing the shutter since goo from disintegrating mirror bumper foam can be flung onto the mirror and focus screen where it is difficult to remove.

To test, use a wooden toothpick to touch the seal and mirror bumper material. It should be springy and should not be sticky or crumbly.

Seal replacement is fairly easy to do and not expensive. For example, it took me less than 1/2 hour to install one of Jon Goodman's excellent kits in my Minolta SRT 101 a few months back. Seal replacement is included in a CLA.

Steve
12-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok guys, finally after a long long wait the camera has arrived, the serial number is 7567273, it has all the stigmata of an early production K1000: bump on the left shoulder below the serial number, Asahi Opt.Co. Japan on the back, threaded battery cover, a 55 mm f2 K mounted lens etc...it also came with a narrow grey strap branded "Asahi", I wonder if it's the original one, and weight like a brick (we are in the Kiev 17 area I would say, the camera is smaller than my Canon F-1 but feels weirdly dense).

The camera has been intensively used in the last 37 years: there are some scratches on the pentaprism, the back door is a little loose (hopefully no light leaks), general dirt everywhere (not as corroded as the MX that arrived two weeks ago), everything seems to work but the most annoying thing is the level of dirt and black spots on the screen, other old cameras suffer of the same problem but this is a pathologic case...anybody know how to clean the focusing screen of a K1000? For the MX I found out how to remove it and tried to do my best but in this case I don't really know how to proceed.

Seriously, some people should learn how to keep their cameras, no matter how cheap they are.
12-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ok guys, finally after a long long wait the camera has arrived, the serial number is 7567273, it has all the stigmata of an early production K1000: bump on the left shoulder below the serial number, Asahi Opt.Co. Japan on the back, threaded battery cover, a 55 mm f2 K mounted lens etc...it also came with a narrow grey strap branded "Asahi", I wonder if it's the original one, and weight like a brick (we are in the Kiev 17 area I would say, the camera is smaller than my Canon F-1 but feels weirdly dense).

The camera has been intensively used in the last 37 years: there are some scratches on the pentaprism, the back door is a little loose (hopefully no light leaks), general dirt everywhere (not as corroded as the MX that arrived two weeks ago), everything seems to work but the most annoying thing is the level of dirt and black spots on the screen, other old cameras suffer of the same problem but this is a pathologic case...anybody know how to clean the focusing screen of a K1000? For the MX I found out how to remove it and tried to do my best but in this case I don't really know how to proceed.

Seriously, some people should learn how to keep their cameras, no matter how cheap they are.
The junk on the focusing screens is most likely foam from the mirror or other light seals. The old foam/seals can become either a sticky mess or crumble.
You need to be very careful cleaning the focusing screen or mirror. I would send the camera to Eric or a local place in the UK, for a CLA.

One of my K1000’s came like that with the focus screen covered in crap and Eric cleaned it up nicely.

Phil.

12-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would send the camera to Eric or a local place in the UK, for a CLA.
What he said...

Steve
12-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Today I cleaned screen and mirror, fortunately the shit was fresh and I could easily wipe it off.

I also cleaned it outside and now I can handle it safely...I agree that the camera needs a new foam for the mirror and perhaps new light seals, but first I need to check out if there is any leakage from the back.

There's quite a lot of dust into the lens but that's it, with a new LR 44 the lightmeter ressurrected and it seems it's more or less in the same range of sensibility of my other cameras, let's say that I'm moderately satisfied even if the camera is not perfect.
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but first I need to check out if there is any leakage from the back.
If the mirror bumper is toast (as you described), the light seals will likely be bad as well. That might explain the looseness you feel with the film door. You can replace them both yourself using a moderately-priced kit* or simply have the camera CLA'ed.

In regards to the camera being heavy...I would expect that the body-only weight would be similar to your newly acquired Spotmatic F and not that much more than your MX. Speaking of the Spotmatic...It will likely require new seals and mirror bumper as well.

Steve

*Jon Goodman reportedly has an associate in the UK who sells his kits. Here in the U.S., the cost $10 USD.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.
12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Steve, when I touched the mirror foam it fell down like flour...regarding the back door it seems it's really bent, the clearance between it and the top cover is not constant, however I noticed some kits sold on ebay.co.uk, I think I can handle the mirror foam but I need to do some research on the light seals.

Regarding the weight, the camera is not as heavy as the Soviet heavyweights of the 70s and the 80s that I have like the Kiev 17 (I don't know if you are familiar with that brick) or the Zenit 19 (that has top and button cover made of plastic to contain the weight that it's already above 1 kg with and Helios 44), not to talk about the Kiev 15, probably the heaviest SLR of the era, but these cameras are also substantially larger than the K1000, which fells small and heavy like a Contax IIa or IIIa rangefinder...I don't know if you are familiar with that camera, however it's not a bad thing for me, on the opposite, I like my Kiev 17 and the Zenit brick very much.

Alas the Spotmatic hasn't been shipped yet, I assume I'll have to wait for some time, but my understanding is that the Spotmatic F is like a KM minus the K mount and the K1000 is in reality a SP1000, so I assume the dimensions are also similar.
12-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

than the K1000, which fells small and heavy like a Contax IIa or IIIa rangefinder...I don't know if you are familiar with that camera
Yep, I own a Kiev 4A and used to own a Kiev IIa. The K1000 and Spotmatic are a little larger and deeper due to the pentaprism and also a little heavier (body only). The normal lens for the Pentax cameras obviously impart a significant weight penalty. I also own a couple of truly heavy SLRs from the late 60s through the mid-70s and can testify that the K1000, while dense, falls on the lighter end of the spectrum for the time.

my understanding is that the Spotmatic F is like a KM minus the K mount and the K1000 is in reality a SP1000, so I assume the dimensions are also similar.
The dimensions are almost identical. A K1000 can use the eveready case from any of the Spotmatics. Feature-wise, your K1000 is more like a Spotmatic F without the self-timer. This will be more obvious as you use both cameras.

Steve
12-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

the Kiev 17 (I don't know if you are familiar with that brick)
By reputation only...

My heavyweights are a Singlex TLS and Minolta SRT 101. Either of those cameras with the f/1.4 lens might give your Kiev or Zenit a challenge at the scales.

Steve
12-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can be used as a boat anchor...

12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This babe hasn't arrived yet:

but it seems that can beat your heavyweights: just the body should be above 1 kg.
12-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Can be used as a boat anchor...
Yep, one like that only in silver and with Ricoh branding, though truth be told, this one actually feels a little heavier...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.
12-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but it seems that can beat your heavyweights: just the body should be above 1 kg.
Yep...the Mamiya is only 725 gm.

The Minolta SRT 101 is close though at 990 gm.

The K-1000 is only 620 gm with the Spotmatic II weighing in at 622 gm.

I could not find a weight for the Singlex...

Steve
12-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This babe hasn't arrived yet:
Cool camera. Does the Mir 20 come with it?

Steve