Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax A3 sticky shutter.

I've got a Pentax A3 (or A3000 I think in the US........ I still don't know why Pentax jsut added zeros to the US market cameras...)

Anyway, I;ve had a roll of film through it, and all seems to work well (metering looks spot on to me)

BUT, the shutter gets a bit sticky. occationally the mirror flips up, and one curtain will stay down, making the camera lock up. With a small flick of the finger on the curtain ti snaps and finishes the movement.
It seems to happen more when the camera has sat (before I put a roll through I sat there snapping and flicking until it seemed to work without issue... the issue since returned which suggests to me that the lube is a bit sticky now)

Anyway, are there any suggestions as to fixing this at home? any special tips like "put a drop of X into the shutter guides"

I won't be sending it in to a shop since that's more than I want to spend, especially on a free camera.

If there's no easy way I guess it will just become a bulky rear lens cap :P

11-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sticky mirror bumper foam?

Steve
11-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mirror moves freely.

It's the shutter curtain that's getting stuck.

Although, I should check to see if it's always the same curtain, or both....
Pretty sure it's only one curtain at a time.
11-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have an A3 that came attached to a lens I bought that you can have for spares etc.

11-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
I have an A3 that came attached to a lens I bought that you can have for spares etc.
Thank you very much for the kind offer, but I might decline. I think the cost and hassle of organising international postage won't be worth it.
11-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The method of choice for a sticky shutter seems to be a drop or two of naptha (aka Ronsonol lighter fluid in the US).
11-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The method of choice for a sticky shutter seems to be a drop or two of naptha (aka Ronsonol lighter fluid in the US).
Cool.
I assume carefully drip it onto the shutter guides?

11-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Cool.
I assume carefully drip it onto the shutter guides?
My experience was that no matter where you drip it, it spreads and gets into everything by capillary action. But it evaporates quickly, too.
11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My experience was that no matter where you drip it, it spreads and gets into everything by capillary action. But it evaporates quickly, too.
Yep, goes everywhere and has potential to leach lubrication out of where it is supposed to be. I would suggest caution unless you are willing to "waste" the camera. A post on one of the camera repair forums might be in order if you are serious about rehabilitating your A3.

Steve
07-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #10

pentax sticky shutter on pentax A3

I had the same problem mirror stuck up button would not fire I noticed another contributor used the smack against his palm I tried that maybe I was too gentle so I gave the camera a few wacks and the mirror dropped down to its normal place and after that the camera was fine so patience paid off well i T WAS A GOOD FEELING SO now I guess I will have to use the camera I have so many point and shoot ,slr as well as dslr and film slr so don t give up on your cameras just keep trying