Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using "A" lens settings on a K2 Body??

What happens when I use a SMC A series lens on a K2 body and the lens is set to "A?" I recently put a SMCA 50 1.4 on a K2 body and I noted that the meter behaved differently between "A" and a manually set f-stop, with the "A" setting reading about 2 stops wider. I did not fire the camera for fear of initiating the apocalypse. I know using the A lens on a K2 body is okay as long as I select manual f-stops, but what would happen if I left the lens on automatic? Would it just shoot wide open?

Just a curiosity, sorry if this is common knowledge.

12-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
What happens when I use a SMC A series lens on a K2 body and the lens is set to "A?" I recently put a SMCA 50 1.4 on a K2 body and I noted that the meter behaved differently between "A" and a manually set f-stop, with the "A" setting reading about 2 stops wider. I did not fire the camera for fear of initiating the apocalypse. I know using the A lens on a K2 body is okay as long as I select manual f-stops, but what would happen if I left the lens on automatic? Would it just shoot wide open?

It will simply shoot at the minimum aperture (F22).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote

Good thing you didn't fire it. It does in-fact initiate the apocalypse.

But seriously...I think it would stop all the way down, not wide-open.
12-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It stops all the way down. I just checked on my K2DMD.

12-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As they said. The "A" setting stops the lens down fully (look at the diaphragm when the lens is unmounted and the ring is set to "A"), and raises a pin that tells an A-capable camera that the lens is indeed set to "A". If the camera isn't A-capable, all you have is an ordinarily stopped-down lens.
12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lens A setting is unusable on cameras without the A contacts on the mount. As mentioned above, the lens can only shoot at the minimum aperture, e.g., f/22, when set to A.

Just to confirm for those reading this thread who might not be aware, A-series lenses can be used on all older, K-series cameras, but won't offer automatic aperture control. The camera in question, the K2, has an Automatic setting on the dial to provide aperture priority shooting. This allows the user to set the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens and the camera will automatically select a shutter speed to acquire a correct exposure.

An aperture ring on the lens is required unless someone plans on just shooting at f/22.