Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The really good news is that it seldom hurts, enjoy that new to you kit.
Not really, I think I spent too much money for this camera.

12-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I think the 50 mm f1.4 was available in the rubberized version, and possibly the 35 mm as well.

The last incarnations of the Taks look like a K lenses but screwed mounted.
The only rubber grip m42 Takumar lenses I know of are,

SMC Takumar 50/1.4
SMC Takumar 55/1.8
SMC Takumar 55/2
Super-Multi Coated Macro-Takumar 100/4

According to Dimitrov's K-mount page, the K55/1.8 and K55/2 share the same optical design. AFAIK, the K versions and Takumar versions are the same optically.

That SP-F looks superb. I have owned 2 of them and they are really good cameras. One of the few cameras I regret selling was my first SP-F.
To get open aperture metering, any of the SMC Taks will work, and most of the S-M-C (Super-Multi-Coated) Taks will work. Not sure exactly which ones won't, but I had a S-M-C Takumar 85/1.9 that wasn't made for open aperture metering.
All m42 lenses should work with stop-down metering.

Congrats on the new camera.
12-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just shooting the second slide and I already have troubles...today I wanted to use a MC Helios 44M-4 on the Spotmatic F and I found that even if it's supposed to be auto it requires stepping down for having the correct lightmeter reading and now the lens doesn't scriew anymore! It turns about 270 degrees and then it's stuck.

Of course the Takumar is also stuck on the Zenit 19.

Any suggestions?
12-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I think you just found out why the photographic industry moved away from screw mount to bayonet mounts.
I think there are some threads about similar problems btw. Or you can try the manual focus lens forums (its a forum that isnt connected with Pentax Forums, but its a wealth of knowledge about older MF lenses)

12-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Bad things come in 3s...

I found that even if it's supposed to be auto it requires stepping down for having the correct lightmeter reading
This is expected. Your Helios does not have the proper lugs and levers to support open-aperture metering.

and now the lens doesn't scriew anymore! It turns about 270 degrees and then it's stuck.
Turn the meter switch to the off position. That should retract the aperture actuator "flipper" in the camera body. Edit: There be more to this problem...see link in comment #23 below.

Of course the Takumar is also stuck on the Zenit 19.
This is more of a problem. It is likely that the small "F" pin on your Tak is stuck in one of the screw holes on the Zenit's mount face. Do not force. Let me do some research with my SMC lenses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is more of a problem. It is likely that the small "F" pin on your Tak is stuck in one of the screw holes on the Zenit's mount face. Do not force. Let me do some research with my SMC lenses.
I have a similar cross-compatibility problem with my SMC Tak 28/3.5 on a couple of my non-Pentax screw-mount bodies. Unlike the Pentax bodies, the others have exposed screw holes on the body's mount face. The small signaling pin of the SMC lenses has the potential of dropping into the screw hole when the lens is mounted.

I posted a notification of this type of issue a couple of months back and I am so sorry that you got caught in this trap. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to safely retract the pin for a clean dismount. Forcing the lens may shear or bend the pin, making the lens non-functional.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/229285-smc-s...ty-issues.html

Can you see the pin in the gap between lens and body, by any chance?

Any suggestions from fellow forum members?

Steve
12-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I just found this recent post on the rangefinder forum from someone with your identical problem.

How to remove a stuck Pentax SMC Takumar from a Zenit - Rangefinderforum.com

Solution requires partial disassembly of the lens.

I will keep looking...

Steve
12-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Also...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/199566-point...zenit-m42.html

Has discussion of the Helios vs. Spot-F issue.

There is a lever inside the Spot-F body that fouls with the long actuator pin of your Helios. Open the shutter in B(ulb) to access the pin from the rear (film door open). You should be able to depress it to allow it to pass over the obstruction.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-17-2013 at 02:41 PM.
12-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the end I removed the lenses that returned to the rightful owner but unfortunately the 44M-4's pin must have been damaged, it doesn't close after f4.0 and it doesn't work in auto mode anymore, a pity, it was one of the few multicoated 44m-4.
12-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter

In the end I removed the lenses that returned to the rightful owner but unfortunately the 44M-4's pin must have been damaged, it doesn't close after f4.0 and it doesn't work in auto mode anymore, a pity, it was one of the few multicoated 44m-4.
How did you get the SMC Tak off?

Steve
12-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How did you get the SMC Tak off?

Steve
Turning and pushing.

It worked...at least it looks like it worked, no visible damage on the Zenit 19 or in the Tak, the problem with the Helios is that it looks like the pin has been bent, so tomorrow I'll try to remove it and reshape it, then with a little bit of grease I will hopefully make it work.
12-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Turning and pushing.
You forced it.

Is the tiny "safety" ("F") pin still there or is it sheared off? It was the piece that was caught and its function is to provide an interlock to allow for full-aperture metering.

Steve
12-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You forced it.

Is the tiny "safety" ("F") pin still there or is it sheared off? It was the piece that was caught and its function is to provide an interlock to allow for full-aperture metering.

Steve
Talking about the Tak or the Helios? The Tak looks undamaged, all works as it should, same lightmeter reading stepped down or full open, on the lever of the DOF on the body there's now a small scratch but it doesn't look serious.

Hopefully the damage on the Helios can also be repaired, but I felt guilty at messing up with these lenses and camera, I just developed a B&W film from the Spotmatic but it looks a serious camera with a serious lens:

The Tak despite of being a f1.8 also seems a very luminous lens for night pictures, more than the Volna 1.8 and the Canon FD 1.8:

12-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The Tak looks undamaged,
Cool. I was asking about the SMC Tak. The Helios does not have the pin in question.

Sorry about the Helios. If that happens again with another lens you can free the aperture actuator pin by going in from the back with the shutter open.

Steve