Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my God I became a Spotmatic owner! :O

Yesterday I went to bed very late, I was bored and tired and...I spent too much time on evilbay looking for a Spotmatic.

After being defeted several times during several auctions, exasperated, I decided to make an offer on ebay Germany, for a Spotmatic F and for half the price the seller was asking.

Today I found out that I became the owner of and F, and I also paid a lot of money for it.

Rewatching the pictures very closely I found out with my great surprise that this F doesn't have the traditional 55mm f1.8 as it should but it sports a 55mm f2.0:

I was a little disappointed because all the other Spotmatics F I've seen around had the 1.8, so I'm wondering if the lens was changed for the "cheaper" solution...on the other side this 2.0 looks brand, the camera itself is also in good conditions:

After the so so experience with the MX and the K1000 not arrived yet I wonder if I made the right choice...by the way just now I realise that the camera to work like a "modern" SLR requires the latest version of the S mounted lens, the uglies covered with rubber, while I thought that all the Takumar SMC would have worked...so how limited is really the choice of lenses for the F?

Also...would the lightmeter work with a LR44 battery? So far I've used that one as replacement for PX625s, but my understanding is that it might not work, in short I chose the the F model because on paper it sounded the most modern and usable in everyday life, now I'm not that much sure...

12-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want to say that from the pictures it looks like its in good condition. Hope youll be happy with it
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have an F (but I do have an ES and ESII) and I thought all the S-M-C and SMC Takumars worked the same way and should, therefore, work on your F with open aperture metering. The earlier Super Takumars will work too but with stop down metering.

K.
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
ES and ESII) and I thought all the S-M-C and SMC Takumars worked the same way and should, therefore, work on your F with open aperture metering. The earlier Super Takumars will work too but with stop down metering.
I also thought it too but then I read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-spotmatic-f.html

And this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1.8.html

QuoteQuote:

1972: SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55 - 2nd photo above - rubberized focus ring, open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F1...#ixzz2mMiEQt7i

12-02-2013, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember reading somewhere that the 55/2 Super Takumar was created for budget models e.g. SP500,
mainly so they could charge more for the near identical 55/1.8, which would be perceived as a better lens.
True or not it's a good story, and a fine example of how cynical marketing can be. Enjoy your 55/2 lens!

Chris
12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I also thought it too but then I read this:
Direction to a thread is not specific enough. You can use all screw mount M42 lenses. To get open metering you need the later lenses, otherwise push the lens switch for a stopped down reading. And, as mentioned before, you can use a standard silver A76/LR44 battery of 1.5 volts by design.
My understanding is that the only difference in your lens is a built-in stop ring, otherwise same glass.
12-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SMC Takumar 55mm f2 was the standard lens on the Pentax SP1000. I got mine new in 1975 and it still works just fine today.
That lens is an excellent lens and is fully compatible with the Spotmatic F

12-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, that Spotmatic F looks to be in near mint condition. Make sure you use and enjoy it. And show us some examples of what it produces.
12-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think you are misreading the bit in the first link. When it says "the newer S-M-C lenses" it means the post Super Takumar lenses, not the later SMC Takumars with the rubber focus rings. The mount didn't change between the S-M-C and SMC Takumars.

I read somewhere that the f/2 55mm Takumars just have a small baffle in them to reduce the maximum aperture but optically they are the same as the 1.8 versions. I cannot swear that is true, however!

K.
12-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I remember reading somewhere that the 55/2 Super Takumar was created for budget models e.g. SP500,
mainly so they could charge more for the near identical 55/1.8, which would be perceived as a better lens.
True or not it's a good story, and a fine example of how cynical marketing can be. Enjoy your 55/2 lens!

Chris
sort of the SP500 that really had the 1/1000th shutter time?

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Direction to a thread is not specific enough. You can use all screw mount M42 lenses. To get open metering you need the later lenses, otherwise push the lens switch for a stopped down reading. And, as mentioned before, you can use a standard silver A76/LR44 battery of 1.5 volts by design.
My understanding is that the only difference in your lens is a built-in stop ring, otherwise same glass.
I think you are misreading the bit in the first link. When it says "the newer S-M-C lenses" it means the post Super Takumar lenses, not the later SMC Takumars with the rubber focus rings. The mount didn't change between the S-M-C and SMC Takumars.
K.
These two statement are in opposition...the question is if I can get open metering with the earlier (no rubber) SMC Taks...especially because I've never seen a rubber 105 mm or a 28 mm, can anybody give me a definitive answer?
12-03-2013, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Yes I have. Any SMC/S-M-C Takumar gives you open aperture metering. By 'later' arnold means later than the Takumar/Auto-Takumar/Super-Takumar lenses. As I said, the mount didn't change between the S-M-C/SMC lenses.
12-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I have. Any SMC/S-M-C Takumar gives you open aperture metering. By 'later' arnold means later than the Takumar/Auto-Takumar/Super-Takumar lenses. As I said, the mount didn't change between the S-M-C/SMC lenses.
So as a rule of thumb any SMC Takumar with the pin will work at open aperture metering?
12-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IIRC I've only ever seen 55mm SMC Takumars with rubber grips. Other focal lengths were always metal.
To add to the confusion I own a Super Takumar (not SMCT) 55mm lens with open aperture metering,
in the so-called 2-pin or ES mount.

Chris
12-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the 50 mm f1.4 was available in the rubberized version, and possibly the 35 mm as well.

The last incarnations of the Taks look like a K lenses but screwed mounted.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-03-2013 at 04:51 AM.
12-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Oh my God I became a Spotmatic owner!
The really good news is that it seldom hurts, enjoy that new to you kit.