Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First thing to check is the light seals and mirror bumper foam. If they are sticky or crumbly they'll need replacing. Luckily it is an easy (if tedious) job and you'll have time to do that yourself before Christmas. K.

12-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody ask, but I think the most important question: how old is she?

before you all give suggestions...
12-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
15. But I already bought the camera. That's not the only thing I'm getting her. I'm going to buy/make her a necklace or something as well (any tips with that are welcome too). I have about three cameras already that desperately need new seals, so maybe I could make a mass one day project out of it.
12-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Roses are red,
violets for plucking,
when a girl's 15
she's ready for Pentax

12-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Roses are red,
violets for plucking,
when a girl's 15
she's ready for Pentax

If she were my 15 years old girlfriend I would prefer to give her as a present a pair of fishnet hold up stockings if she had the right legs, but of course a Pentax is also fine.
12-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_sam Quote
Alright guys, just bought a Pentax ME Super for $49 including shipping. We'll see how this turns out. The seller claimed that the "shutter and spool work, but I haven't tested film in it" which worries me slightly... But if the spool turns, then I'm assuming all the other film mechanisms would work. The camera appeared to be immaculate in the pictures, and still had original stickers on it.
Well done, I'm sure she will love it. Order a fresh pair of batteries for it. If the shutter and advance mechanism is working fine, the only potential problem might be the metering and the leds. Once that's established then its time for a set of light seals.
12-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ME Super is a great choice to introduce someone to film and Pentax.

Chris

12-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, my parents thought I was kind of being geeky by wanting to buy her a camera. I quote: "Well, seems to me like you're buying her something that you want, not what she wants." But like I said, she's mentioned wanting to get into photography, long before she started dating me. Her dad gave her this 80s/90s era Canon SLR that was completely automatic... the two AA batteries inside had corroded so much that they were both blown open and sealed inside the compartment. The camera is still broken, since that wasn't the only problem, and she just gave the two lenses away to my friend for free. None of it was that good. She was excited about that camera when her dad gave her it though, and she was hoping to use it. So I think she'll enjoy a nice working SLR with manual as well as automatic options, with a decent lens and bright viewfinder, as well as good vintage looks (the canon was ugly as hell). I'm trying to encourage my friends to get into film photography. A group of friends who are into one hobby makes it a lot cheaper once you start having enough involved.

How do you replace the light seals on a camera? Are there kits I can buy right now to have them available when the camera arrives?
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_sam Quote
How do you replace the light seals on a camera? Are there kits I can buy right now to have them available when the camera arrives?
It is not hard. It requires a steady hand, lighter fluid, and one of Jon Goodman's kits ($10 including postage). A pair of tweezers comes in handy too. The kit comes with detailed instructions, pre-cut pieces of foam material, and a special bamboo tool to help with removal of the old material and placement of the new stuff.

PM me for Jon's e-mail address.

Steve
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Sam,

I'd put a quick test roll through the camera before doing seals and the like.
Just to make sure the metering is still reading correctly, and the speeds are accurate.

No point replacing all the seals if somethign else isn't working right.
12-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Sam,

Just to make sure the metering is still reading correctly, and the speeds are accurate.

Was planning on it. Plus, that's a benefit of getting her it, I get to try it out myself!
12-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Sam,

I would check out the mirror bumper foam first. If it is really gone you'll spread muck on the mirror and focus screen you'll never be able to shift.

K.
12-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Already have the kit shipped and on its way to my house as of 1PM Friday. Jon really is a nice guy like everyone says. I got great service and he's honestly fun to talk to and writes great emails. He's also kind enough to give me the convenience and assurance of sending him money AFTER I receive the kit. I'll definitely be doing business with him again soon.
12-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm...

Girlfriend.
Christmas Present.
Don't want to spend over $60.

I'd say you have some other issues you might need advice on.

Get her an *istD or K10D or any dSLR from the first generation or so of Pentax.
Sure, it will cost more than $60, but then she won't have to spend money on film or developing.

What!!!!
I've just bought my beloved wife a new brush, mop and washing up bowl. And that's spoiling her!

( running for cover........)
12-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I just gotta say, sounds like you have a cool girlfriend, and I find this thread absurdly cute. (In a good way!)

Pentax film cameras ftw!