Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions from an "LX newbie" ... (x-post)

Bonjour, ( x-posted on Gear p0rn thread ... )

Can I ask a few fast "LX newbie" question(s) (?) ... I say "newbie" because I have not shot a lot with this body ...

Possibly eBay bidding tomorrow on an LX that the seller has disclosed a "sticky mirror" problem ... plus the film speed dial will not stay locked. Probably needs seals, too, according the same seller.

How "bad" are these issues, especially the mirror of an LX ... and/or, from your experience(s), are these an easy repair for Eric H. ... ?

I called Eric a few days ago, and he's going to estimate a few K-bodies (a ME Super & a dear K1000) that I will be sending him from my home, Poitiers, France ... but I do not want to call him during a weekend.

Any input and/or advice would be greatly appreciated ... as the French say, "Merci d'avance !"

Salut, J

12-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The seals and sticky mirror usually run together. The foam seals degrade and become sticky. Not an expensive repair. Not sure about the speed dial lock, sorry.
d
12-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe LX CLAs & repairs start at $250 with Eric. Sticky mirror was the most common issue with the LX.
12-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The usual LX "sticky mirror" is different from other cameras. The LX mirror tends to stick "down" and is slow to rise when you trip the shutter. As I recall there was an elastomeric pad on the mirror rest to help with noise as the mirror returned down, and the mirror would tend to stick to it. When I would trip the shutter I could see a slow tilt to the image for a couple of seconds before the mirror would come fully loose, then the mirror-shutter action was normal. Subsequent shots taken soon after would work normally, until you let the camera sit for a while when the mirror would become stuck again.
Also, this softening pad would let the mirror come down a bit farther than it should, and you would find focusing was off. You could see infinity was off on all lenses, showing it was the mirror position.
Eric fixed mine as part of a CLA a few years ago, after I had stored it for 15 years because of the problem. An LX CLA is more expensive, but worth it.

12-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

Asked a quote a time back from harrow techincal. They quote 120 pound standard cla + sticky mirror and shipment.
About the film speed dial, seems strange, because normally you need to press a knob to turn the iso scale. so i expect there will be something lost or broken there…
12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I am not an authority, this is what I recently learned when I was in your position, seeking an LX for the first time. READ THIS and specifically THIS.

Since the body is specially sealed against dust, whenever the body is opened to service internals (as part of the general CLA, such as timing the shutter) those dust seals must be replaced. The stock of seals kits is diminishing as LX'es are refreshed and the additional work accounts for much of the premium price for an LX standard service.

The good news is you'll get 10 or so years out of your camera, at least.

You might consider purchasing an already-serviced LX instead. PM me if you choose to pursue that option.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-14-2013 at 07:51 AM.
12-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The usual LX "sticky mirror" is different from other cameras. The LX mirror tends to stick "down" and is slow to rise when you trip the shutter. As I recall there was an elastomeric pad on the mirror rest to help with noise as the mirror returned down, and the mirror would tend to stick to it. When I would trip the shutter I could see a slow tilt to the image for a couple of seconds before the mirror would come fully loose, then the mirror-shutter action was normal. Subsequent shots taken soon after would work normally, until you let the camera sit for a while when the mirror would become stuck again.
Also, this softening pad would let the mirror come down a bit farther than it should, and you would find focusing was off. You could see infinity was off on all lenses, showing it was the mirror position.
Eric fixed mine as part of a CLA a few years ago, after I had stored it for 15 years because of the problem. An LX CLA is more expensive, but worth it.
Thanks TomB_tx,

The seller described the same in his "disclosure" statement ... merci beaucoup et salut, J

12-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
While I am not an authority, this is what I recently learned when I was in your position, seeking an LX for the first time. READ THIS and specifically THIS. ... .
Salut Monochrome,

Thanks a lot for the links and your input ... J
12-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Once you get your fine working example of an LX, you will not be disappointed, IMHO it is still Pentaxs finest hour.
12-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci beaucoup ... thanks to all for your rapid advice.

I kind of "knew in general" the answer to my question about the shutter problem... a slight memory of reading about this long, long ago. Just needed a refresher and a bit more info ... from you, the experts.

Currently I am the highest bidder at 32£ with the bidding ending at about 18h00 my time ... gonna sleep on it and shoot for a low-ball bid success, but I doubt that it will happen ... but if do not try, you get nothing in return.

Will keep you posted and thanks again ... my bed is calling, J
12-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The CLA will certainly bring your LX back to life. Part of the reason the LX costs a bit more to CLA is that the seals also include those that make it weather resistant. Once the camera is disassembled for repair these seals must also be renewed.

As for the lock on the shutter dial, I have two of them where the lock works and one where it doesn't and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My LXs don't get as much work as they should as I have too many cameras to play with. God forbid it should happen but if I had to sell my cameras I would be left standing with my K1000 in one hand and my LX in the other
12-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
The CLA will certainly bring your LX back to life. Part of the reason the LX costs a bit more to CLA is that the seals also include those that make it weather resistant. Once the camera is disassembled for repair these seals must also be renewed.

As for the lock on the shutter dial, I have two of them where the lock works and one where it doesn't and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My LXs don't get as much work as they should as I have too many cameras to play with. God forbid it should happen but if I had to sell my cameras I would be left standing with my K1000 in one hand and my LX in the other
Bonjour,

Thanks for your post Pioneer.

The particular LX went for more than I was willing to bid ... such is life and there was another one French evilBay that I am watching, but do not want to make a blind purchase for this level of gear (SLR) ... we see, maybe after X-mas and when my B-day hits in January.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone for their advice and input. Greatly appreciated and this is why I really like this forum !!!

Salut, J
12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

However you manage to acquire a working LX you will be happy.
12-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought one recently and absolutely love the feel of it. I'm just finishing the first roll of film, and am looking forward to getting to know it more.
12-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #15

I left both my LXes with the guy in South Harrow, London this monday. One of them had the sticky mirror/hesitating shutter, the other had a misaligned mirror and was missing the exposure compensation dial indication thingie. He seemed confident he could have them both fixed and touch up at £126.50 a piece. Not cheap, but worth it if I get them back working.