Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Soon to be Newbie

Hey guys, i decided to buy my first film slr awhile ago but i know nothing about this ancient technology

Can someone briefly explains me main differences between a ME MX and LX? also their difference vs spotmatic (i have m42 lenses) ( i heard ME not being fully manual ?)

Also how do you transfer films to computer ?

12-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Briefly ME, MX & LX are K mount cameras that require aperture ring lenses. The ME is aperture priority only, the MX is full manual only and the LX is aperture priority and full manual capable body. If you like the ME size but with full manual capability then checkout the ME Super.
Reivew of manual focus Pentax SLRs -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-manual-focus-film-slrs-c12.html
External quick list of the Pentax M series -> Pentax M-Series Film Bodies
Comprehensive Penatx LX review -> Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series

To use your M42 lenses on these bodies you can use an M42 to K mount adapter. Otherwise you might consider the M42 bodies -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-m42-screwmount-film-slrs-c5.html
12-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
Also how do you transfer films to computer ?
The processed film must be scanned to digital. The processing lab can do this for you (quality is variable) or you can buy a dedicated film scanner and do it yourself. Quality scanners are generally over $200.

Steve
12-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Mr. Steve and Les said it. I have an ME Super, bought it as an afterthought and wasn't too pleased with the size or the viewfinder setup however...after using it, I sorta like it! You can go full manual with the super or aperture priority. It has a huge viewfinder, its smaller than a Spotmatic (which is full manual) and the 'meter' is a row of shutter speeds on the left with green, yellow or red dots to indicate correct exposure. Wasn't as bad as I thought, it's one of my favorites!

The lab that does my processing will put them on to a CD for me, cost in marginal.

If you find a Spotmatic in good shape with a working meter, those M42 lenses will work splendidly. I can't speak to using an adapter ring with them to mount to a K mount, haven't gotten around to that yet...

12-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the information guys. I wasn't aware there was a ME Super and it seems to cost much less than Mx.

Also how about P and A series ? all i want is retro looking small camera to do some street
12-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
all i want is retro looking small camera to do some street
Your ME should work just fine for street. Javier (jgredline) used to use an ME Super for street with good success until his local shop quit processing film.

Flickr: Street Vision L.A.'s Photostream

Steve