Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newly cla'd H2 won't fire

Hi everyone. I just received my H2 back from Eric a few days ago. I sent it in for a CLA and a sticking curtain repair. It looks great and seemed to be working perfectly when I did some "dry-firing" without film or a lens mounted. Today I put my SMC Tak 55/1.8 on it, set to manual, cocked the film advance, and the shutter button won't depress. I removed the lens, and tried again thru a range of shutter speeds, but no luck. Can anyone offer some advice? The Tak 55 is the only screwmount lens I own at the moment. Is there somehing I may have done wrong? This is my first pre-Spotmatic screwmount body. Thanks in advance!

12-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Could you verify if you can see the metal edge of the shutter curtain? If yes, this means the action is not clearing the arm similar to below...

A moves in the slot and hit the lever arm and then sit on the position B.

It could be that your mechanism hangs just prior to this finished state at the green circle.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 12-18-2013 at 07:54 AM.
12-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@mysteryonion: Thanks for the quick reply. If you mean the metal curtain edge is visible when opening the back of the camera, no it isn't. I'm heading to work now, but will take photos tonite or tomorrow. Thanks again.
12-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

paulh: Download a manual from Pentax-Manuals.com (the password is Pentax) to ensure you've taken all the correct actions first. Check that you are not on Bulb; try opening and closing the camera back to reset the mechanism; ensure you have advanced the lever a full stroke (but do not force it)

If none of those work return the camera to Eric - he will correct whatever is amiss.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.
12-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Hi everyone. I just received my H2 back from Eric a few days ago.
What does Eric say? He stands behind his work. Better to consult with him before fiddling inside the camera.

Steve
12-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't intend on trying my own repairs. I thought that there was a possibility that the newer SMC Tak lens might have some compatibility issues with the older screwmount bodies. I'll email Eric tomorrow & go from there. Thanks again.
12-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't intend on trying my own repairs. I thought that there was a possibility that the newer SMC Tak lens might have some compatibility issues with the older screwmount bodies. I'll email Eric tomorrow & go from there. Thanks again.
The 50/1.4 maybe, but the 55/1.8 is unlikely.

Steve
12-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought that there was a possibility that the newer SMC Tak lens might have some compatibility issues with the older screwmount bodies.
I can confirm that there is no compatibility issues with your SMC Tak 55/1.8 , I have one and it works perfectly on both my H2's.
Glenn

12-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Not noticed issues with my S2 and a 55/1.8 either. Was the camera stored at a temperature that is a bit chilly? The older rubberized curtains can be stiff when cold.
12-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I think I discovered the problem. The shutter button was still stuck this morning, so I cranked the film advance lever all the way, then gave it a little extra nudge at the end. That did it! It seems fine now after repeating that several times. I just have to make sure I crank the lever all the way to the stop (like you're supposed to)! Thanks again, everyone.
12-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Compared to later models many older cameras require a relatively longer stroke for film advance.

Chris