Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,817
The K1000 offers all the features required in an SLR and nothing more.
To many this is a quite understandable part of the appeal.

FWIW the K1000 is a budget version based on the Pentax KM.
The KM includes two additional features, self-timer and DOF preview.

When I want simplicity I opt for the KM as I often rely on DOF preview.

Chris

12-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,264
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW the K1000 is a budget version based on the Pentax KM.
The KM includes two additional features, self-timer and DOF preview.
Chris...Thanks for chiming in on this. The K1000 was derived from the KM not the KX.


Steve
12-28-2013, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
I've never handled a KM or KX, but I can tell you the that the MX is everything the K1000 is (Sturdy, robust, reliable, fully mechanical...) except better in almost every possible way.

The MX is smaller and lighter than the K1000. The MX has a split ring focusing screen as standard, the K1000 does not (SE's do.) The MX has interchangeable screens, the K1000 does not.

The MX has a self timer and DOF preview. The self timer is nice, the DOF preview is a must. Both of these are extremely handy and absent on the K1000. Its meter is also a set of lights instead of the match needle which is much easier to see. The MX also has a much wider metering range.

The MX's light meter turns off automatically. The K1000's runs as long as it detects enough light to operate. It's necessary to keep your K1000's lens cap or body cap on and preferably keep it in a camera case to keep the meter from running constantly and draining the battery.

The MX also has a shutter release lock. This is extremely handy. It won't take pictures of the inside of your camera bag, or its own lens cap, or its own body cap.

The MX has the Pentax Magic Fingers loading system. It's the patented loading system on the M* series, and the LX. Very much better than the K1000's loading system.

The MX will make dinner, walk your dog and take out the garbage, massage your feet and bring you a cold beer.*

The MX displays both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder so you don't have to take your eye away from the viewfinder while shooting.

The MX's viewfinder is a little larger and brighter, though both are pentaprisms.

The MX also has a film memo window on the back, which is handier than you think.

Lastly but certainly not least, the MX accepts bulk film backs and motor drives/winders whereas the K1000 doesn't accept either.

What's the same?

They're both mechanical, manual cameras with in-built light meters. They can both operate without batteries. They both take beautiful pictures, and they are both compatible with any Pentax lens with a manual focus ring and aperture ring.

The undocumented "Mirror Lockup" feature seems to work on both cameras.

What's better on the K1000?

Only two things I can think of:

1. The K1000 does have a wider ISO range. The MX goes up to 1600, the K1000 goes to 3200. But the MX goes down to 25, the K1000 only goes down to 32.

2. The MX;s shutter sound is clunkier than the K1000s. This may or may not be a good thing.

I own and continue to own and use both, and love them both..but the MX really is the superior tool.

---------------------------

*Not really.
12-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I've never handled a KM or KX, but I can tell you the that the MX is everything the K1000 is (Sturdy, robust, reliable, fully mechanical...) except better in almost every possible way.

The MX is smaller and lighter than the K1000. The MX has a split ring focusing screen as standard, the K1000 does not (SE's do.) The MX has interchangeable screens, the K1000 does not.

The MX has a self timer and DOF preview. The self timer is nice, the DOF preview is a must. Both of these are extremely handy and absent on the K1000. Its meter is also a set of lights instead of the match needle which is much easier to see. The MX also has a much wider metering range.

The MX's light meter turns off automatically. The K1000's runs as long as it detects enough light to operate. It's necessary to keep your K1000's lens cap or body cap on and preferably keep it in a camera case to keep the meter from running constantly and draining the battery.

The MX also has a shutter release lock. This is extremely handy. It won't take pictures of the inside of your camera bag, or its own lens cap, or its own body cap.

The MX has the Pentax Magic Fingers loading system. It's the patented loading system on the M* series, and the LX. Very much better than the K1000's loading system.

The MX will make dinner, walk your dog and take out the garbage, massage your feet and bring you a cold beer.*

The MX displays both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder so you don't have to take your eye away from the viewfinder while shooting.

The MX's viewfinder is a little larger and brighter, though both are pentaprisms.

The MX also has a film memo window on the back, which is handier than you think.

Lastly but certainly not least, the MX accepts bulk film backs and motor drives/winders whereas the K1000 doesn't accept either.

What's the same?

They're both mechanical, manual cameras with in-built light meters. They can both operate without batteries. They both take beautiful pictures, and they are both compatible with any Pentax lens with a manual focus ring and aperture ring.

The undocumented "Mirror Lockup" feature seems to work on both cameras.

What's better on the K1000?

Only two things I can think of:

1. The K1000 does have a wider ISO range. The MX goes up to 1600, the K1000 goes to 3200. But the MX goes down to 25, the K1000 only goes down to 32.

2. The MX;s shutter sound is clunkier than the K1000s. This may or may not be a good thing.

I own and continue to own and use both, and love them both..but the MX really is the superior tool.

---------------------------

*Not really.
Depth-of-field preview would be something that I kind of miss using my K1000SE. Shutter release lock would definitely be a nice feature because earlier today, I think I accidentally snapped off a frame. So...are you telling me that my K1000 won't make me dinner? I'm screwed. Haha.

12-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by photographyguy74 Quote
Depth-of-field preview would be something that I kind of miss using my K1000SE. Shutter release lock would definitely be a nice feature because earlier today, I think I accidentally snapped off a frame. So...are you telling me that my K1000 won't make me dinner? I'm screwed. Haha.
It will, but the K1000 is lazy and just throws a frozen meal in the microwave. The MX makes food from scratch.*

-----------------

*Seriously, not really.
12-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
It will, but the K1000 is lazy and just throws a frozen meal in the microwave. The MX makes food from scratch.*

-----------------

*Seriously, not really.
Hey, I just throw stuff in the microwave too.
12-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,068
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Don't worry! compared to a bass boat, motor and trailer the photography hobby is chump change!
Cheaper than flying too . . . every hour in the air seems to suck $150 out of my pocket!
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Cheaper than flying too . . . every hour in the air seems to suck $150 out of my pocket!
See also the serious "Car hobby" people out there, where a $50,000 hot rod or restoration isn't a big deal, all things told.

If I hadn't inherited my classic car, I couldn't afford to own one.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, camera store, film, lenses, rolls, store
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Local Camera Store Actually has Pentax Lenses In Stock! Driline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-16-2013 09:53 PM
My Pentax Haul from the local camera store brofkand Pentax Medium Format 14 02-28-2013 03:01 PM
Name me a good camera store or specialist store in your town? Aardvark General Talk 9 10-25-2011 08:52 PM
“A Funny Thing Happened to Me In the Camera Store” benjikan General Talk 6 11-08-2009 05:02 PM
vote of confidence today from the local camera store Marc Langille Photographic Technique 5 03-17-2007 08:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top