Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #1

Pentax MX Grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Were there any aftermarket grips made for the MX? I don't have use for the motordrive w/grip and was wondering if there was ever one made with just a plate for the bottom and the grip?

12-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not a genuine Pentax one AFAIK.

But I have found these sort in my googlings.

PENTAX MX ,HANDMADE GRIP – RED | Mobilecity X HORUSBENNU Camera Accessory

It looks like it's exactly what you want (not sure on where to buy them though)

edit:
here's one of ebay for an ME.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-Exclusive-Grip-Pentax-ME-ME-super-Hand-Cra...item1e84c55923
12-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one of those in black. Though the camera handles nicely with it,
it makes it difficult to operate DOF preview lever, though not impossible.

Chris
12-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As Chris mentions, the design of the MX (and all cameras of that era) was not intended for a grip, and the controls and handling are actually better without it. Cameras then basically expected the "Leica steady hold" method where the left palm under the camera body was the main steady support, while the left fingers focused and set aperture. That left the right hand more free to trip the shutter gently and advance film. The LX had provision to attach a grip in the modern style, and while I have a grip for my LX I don't use it, as I think the camera handles better without it.

12-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
As Chris mentions, the design of the MX (and all cameras of that era) was not intended for a grip, and the controls and handling are actually better without it. Cameras then basically expected the "Leica steady hold" method where the left palm under the camera body was the main steady support, while the left fingers focused and set aperture. That left the right hand more free to trip the shutter gently and advance film. The LX had provision to attach a grip in the modern style, and while I have a grip for my LX I don't use it, as I think the camera handles better without it.
Wow - learn something every day. I never knew trhat was called the Leica steady grip - just that was how we were taught to hold a Spottie in 1969. Modern grip or not I still hold a camera left palm under because I often use MF lenses with aperture rings. It just seems easier to grip the camera the same way all the time and leaves my thumb free for wheels and buttons.

I guess it's a Double-Steady Hold
12-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That holding method was ideal for Leica because it located the left hand away from the rangefinder window. If the left hand were to go around the top of the focus ring it blocks your view. It's always fun to let an SLR user try a Leica as they always grab the lens in a way that blocks their view, and they hand the camera back disgusted.

Leica habits also came from available light shooting when lenses were f3.5 to 2.0, and film speeds were in the 10-100 ASA range; so a steady hold was needed for slow shutter speeds.
12-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That holding method was ideal for Leica because it located the left hand away from the rangefinder window. If the left hand were to go around the top of the focus ring it blocks your view. It's always fun to let an SLR user try a Leica as they always grab the lens in a way that blocks their view, and they hand the camera back disgusted.

Leica habits also came from available light shooting when lenses were f3.5 to 2.0, and film speeds were in the 10-100 ASA range; so a steady hold was needed for slow shutter speeds.
Thanks - if my XA is a poor man's Leica then I've inadvertently avoided self-disgust.

12-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. I've used the "Leica" hold on my MX for the last 30+ years, but I've found the grip that's built into some of the DSLR's I've used to be nice and always wondered what it might be like on the MX. I hardly ever use the DOF lever on my MX.
12-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I almost always used my MX in the ever-ready case - which gave a bigger thing to grip with a small edge at the front near the edge, being a little 'grip'. I used the DOF lever an average of about once a year, but it was useful to have it.
12-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A half-case, or the part of an eveready case attached to the camera really helps,
especially with smaller camera bodies.
Good luck finding either one (in decent condition) for a Pentax MX though.

BTW I am always surprised how many SLR users say they never use DOF preview.
I guess Pentax market research was accurate when they began deleting the feature
around the time of the ME/K1000/ME Super etc.

Chris
12-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the motor grip on my MX, but I never actually use it for its intended purpose. Why, you may ask? I find the MX to be really small in my hands, and thus I have a hard time holding on to it, hence the grip. I left the batteries in too, but switched them around as the added heft gives me more control.
12-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A half-case, or the part of an eveready case attached to the camera really helps,
especially with smaller camera bodies.
Good luck finding either one (in decent condition) for a Pentax MX though.
There is a new half-case for the MX available on eBay. I have one of these, and it is very nice:
Genuine Real Leather Bag Case Cover for Pentax MX Camera Handmade Article | eBay
12-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is a new half-case for the MX available on eBay. I have one of these, and it is very nice:
Genuine Real Leather Bag Case Cover for Pentax MX Camera Handmade Article | eBay
Mr. Zhou (who made my Canon P half-case) also used to sell a MX version. I don't see a current listing on his eBay store, but it might be worth making an inquiry. He molds properly placed "bumps" onto case.

jiozhou on eBay

Steve
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zhou cases are very good. I have 5 of them on different cameras, but hadn't seen one of his for the MX. The one I linked to is comparable quality to Zhou.
12-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too highly recommend the Winder MX. IMO it really improves the small cameras handling.
If you choose one of these make sure the plastic battery compartment screw isn't stripped.

Chris