Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question about the K2 and K2DMD

I finally received the long awaited K2 and K2DMD I won on evilbay and I'm testing them in these holidays...they are both some of the best SLRs I have ever used but I have some questions on how to operate them.

1) I noticed that the lightmeter gives differnent reading with the lens open wide and when it's stepped down, should I meter it pressing the DOF button? I would find it extremely uncomfortable and a step backward a Spotmatic F, for instance.

2) In two or three occasions when pressing the DOF button and shooting the mirror got stuck, is it normal or do the cameras need CLA?

3) The DMD on the shutter speed dial has a cryptic position marked "b" or "p", what is it supposed to do?

4) The cameras don't fit the Spotmatic case unlike previously assested...how did the original case look like?

5) Most important, where can I find the motordrive and the external memory for the DMD? In the end that's the only substantial difference between the two cameras.

12-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Congrats those are great cameras:

1) Ignore what the light meter does when you press the DOF button.
2) Yes it looks like a CLA is in order.
3) The “B” bulb setting on the shutter speed dial lets you keep the shutter open as long as you press the shutter release button. (For long exposures)
Or if you are referring to the green rectangle next to the “Automatic” setting, this closes the eyepiece blind if you are shooting with your eye away from the camera when it’s in auto mode, so stray light does not affect the meter reading.
4) Correct the K2/K2DMD have a unique case. (See attached photo)
5) They show up on eBay from time to time.

Here is a link to the K2DMD manual:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_k2_motor_drive.pdf

Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 12-27-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added link