Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Super A/Program Won't Fire: HELP

Hello!

I just bought a Pentax Super A/Program from an online seller. The seller is not a photographer, so he doesn't know if the camera is working when I asked him.
Anyway, when I received the camera I immediately put on a new batteries and loaded a film. The camera won't fire after I crank the camera. I tried it several times but nothing happens. And, I can't even adjust the shutter speed. It only stays to 1000. The buttons looks like it's not working.
I need help with this.

Thanks in advance!

Richard B.

12-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is supposed to stay at 1000 for the first few shots, those are the wasted ones caused by loading the film. Once the exposure counter is on 1 it will allow you to set the shutter speed as usual.

As for not firing it could be dirty contacts under the shutter button.
12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
As for not firing it could be dirty contacts under the shutter button.
How do I clean it? Is it possible to open and then clean it?
12-28-2013, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are so inclined, you can get the the service manual at -> http://www.robertstech.com/manuals.htm

12-28-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if this applies to your Super Program, but make sure you crank the film advance all the way. I thought I had a problem with a stuck H2 - it turned out that I just hadn't pushed the film advance lever all the way to the stop.
12-28-2013, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Mine was getting stuck and I shipped it off to Eric for a CLA / repairs along with a donor body. Sometimes these old cameras are worth fixing, sometimes not. I now have a great camera, but of course you have to get it taken care of.
12-28-2013, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm...it appears that your camera is not working.

Fresh batteries inserted properly in holder?
Shutter properly cocked?

Shutter should fire when pressed. It makes no difference whether the film door is open or shut.

Was the camera described as being in working order? If so, send it back. If not, I hope you did not pay more than the value for parts (~$15 USD). The issue may be simple and easily fixed (mirror stuck up?) or tragic (main board failure). Lesson: If the seller claims ignorance about the item, do no pay them any money.

Steve
12-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummm...it appears that your camera is not working.

Fresh batteries inserted properly in holder?
Shutter properly cocked?

Shutter should fire when pressed. It makes no difference whether the film door is open or shut.

Was the camera described as being in working order? If so, send it back. If not, I hope you did not pay more than the value for parts (~$15 USD). The issue may be simple and easily fixed (mirror stuck up?) or tragic (main board failure). Lesson: If the seller claims ignorance about the item, do no pay them any money.

Steve
Yeah, I did all of that. Fresh batteries and properly cocked. The LCD displays just fine. But when pressing the shutter, nothing happens...
The seller told me he found the camera from their house, it's from his parents. In my side, it's a risk taken, a gamble. I bought it for $70 for the camera PLUS with a Pentax A 35-105mm f/3.5! I think I win on risk taking. The lens' front element just needs a minor cleaning...

12-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #9

Here are some hints for the ME Super. Had same problem with my Super Program. Try the re-setting trick. 3 Screws and bottom comes off easily.

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

/Clay
12-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clay Quote
Here are some hints for the ME Super. Had same problem with my Super Program. Try the re-setting trick. 3 Screws and bottom comes off easily.

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

/Clay
Thanks man! Did it work on your Super Program?
12-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #11

It worked for about half a roll, then jammed up again. Will send to Eric for a pro fix.

/Clay