Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lost My Cable Release And Need Another One

I went out taking pictures today and I ended up losing my mechanical cable release for my Pentax K1000SE. Does anyone know where I can find one? I'm not upset about being out of the money that I paid for it (since I only paid a dollar). I'm angry about the fact that I lost it.

12-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Pentax Cable Release 50 30099 B&H Photo Video
12-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just an example: Amazon.com: 16'' 40cm Mechanical Locking Camera Shutter Release Remote Control Cable Cord: Camera & Photo
Or try ebay, or craigslist.
If you need one now, stop at any local photo shop and ask, if they don't have one on the shelf I'd bet they have one in the back in the junk box. Just make sure to ask somebody old enough to know what it is.
12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a pretty easy item to come by, though getting a good one is worth the trouble. Avoid those with the sideways, screw-type lock. The disk-lock types are superior. I am partial to Hakuba, vinyl clad with woven metal sheath, though it appears these are not as widely available as in the past. You should be able to find something here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Compatibility_Mechanical%2fThread...555+4095985253

Steve

12-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just an example: Amazon.com: 16'' 40cm Mechanical Locking Camera Shutter Release Remote Control Cable Cord: Camera & Photo
Or try ebay, or craigslist.
If you need one now, stop at any local photo shop and ask, if they don't have one on the shelf I'd bet they have one in the back in the junk box. Just make sure to ask somebody old enough to know what it is.
The sad thing is that I picked up the one that I lost at the local camera store and only paid a dollar for it. I'll have to head back to the camera store and see if they have another one. Maybe I'll get lucky again.
12-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just bought one from B&H for $5 and (I am shocked) that it no longer works after less than 10 uses.
12-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I just got back from my local camera store and they have one over there for ten dollars. I'll be paying ten times as much as the one that I bought used but this one is new and it is a lot longer than the one I had. It still kind of irks me that I lost it in the first place.
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I suppose that is one of the benefits of buying vintage gear is that there is usually a remote included in the bag of stuff as I have quite a few in varying lengths.

You may also be interested in a mechanical self timer if you didn't already know of it's existence. It is handy for cameras with no self timer. One camera in particular has a self timer but since it's a multifunction type that works either as a self timer or a MLU.

I have a couple of these that also came with the bag of stuff and I can see on the the auction sites that they vary greatly in price!