Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Alternately are various rangefinder options. I've had few, but the best all around was a Yashica T4 Super.
I forgot about those Yashica T cameras. Always wanted to try one. No zoom, but a nice Zeiss lens instead.

01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drei3 Quote
Hi All,

I'm thinking of adding a small film camera to my digital travel kit. Currently I'm using a Pentax ME Super with the FA 50mm f/1.4 since the FA is already part of my digital package. I'm looking for either a small SLR or RF with a built-in light meter, coupled rangefinder (if RF), and manual exposure. Price is under $200. So far I've looked at:
  • Pentax MX or ME Super with M 40mm f/2.8
  • Canonet QL 17 or 19
  • Olympus XA (a bit pricey on evilbay)
  • Olympus 35 SP
  • Also considering a Russian rangefinder (Fed, Zorki, etc) but the quality seems to be all over the place

Anything else I should look at?
A much more useful and important question is: Which camera will I look coolest shooting?

The answer to this, of course, is the Canonet QL17. Close tie for second is the Oly 35 SP and MX with 40mm.

On a serious note, I've owned all of the cameras you mentioned minus the Oly 35 SP and Russian rangefinders. I'd vote XA. Like others here have said, it's an amazing camera, and is worth the price.
01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I've had few, but the best all around was a Yashica T4 Super
I never loved my Yash T4. I also have the bigger, heavier, sturdier Contax T2 which I prefer for its feature set.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
It's all auto, but it's a superb little camera.
The grip/motor drive is an attachment that is slightly rare, quit noisy, but removable
I like the PC35AF as well, but my only gripe is that it is a 3-zone autofocus. Works great if your subject is in one of the 3 zones, but I'd take an XA over the PC35AF for anything indoors.