Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A Good Representative Pentax Film SLR

So let's just say as a newly minted Pentax fanboy I wanted to acquire just one good representative Pentax Film SLR...

In order to just cut to the chase, so to speak, and since it's really not all that important, which model(s) might I want to aim for?

01-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
So let's just say as a newly minted Pentax fanboy I wanted to acquire just one good representative Pentax Film SLR...

In order to just cut to the chase, so to speak, and since it's really not all that important, which model(s) might I want to aim for?
I personally really like the Super Program / Super A. It lets you shoot in all 4 basic modes (auto, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual), is very compact, and still has a great metal build quality and a large viewfinder. Other great cameras are the iconic K1000 and the ME super, though the latter is a lot like a super program without the auto / shutter priority support.

Pentax Super A/Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess the LX is one of the most sought after, but they cost thereafter.
I must say that my Spotmatic is a well built really Pentaxy camera and M42 is really easy to find great bargain lenses for.
01-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #4

I have used PZ-1's since they were introduced back in the 90's, and I love them.
I have 2 and they are still working hard, unlike their owner.

01-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question... Screw mount or K mount?, Manual focus or autofocus? These are, however, my suggestions...

LX. Top of the line pro-spec camera. Pros: Stunning range of accessories and features, well built, superb metering... the one film camera I wouldn't part with. Cons: expensive and will probably need a service for sticky mirror syndrone.

MX: Small, lightweight manual camera. Pros: small and light weight, a classic and highly regarded. Has interchangeable focus screens, winder, very rare motor drive, etc. Cons: outer skin a little delicate and prone to denting, some find the shutter speed dial too stiff, quite small if you have big hands (use the winder as a grip is a possibility).

ME Super. European camera of the year and top of the sales charts for several years. Pros: small, very common, cheap as chips, slick wind-on, manual and Av, 1/125 sync speed. Cons: some don't like the buttons for manual, quite small if you have big hands (use the winder as a grip, very common), fewer accessories than the MX/LX.

I could go on but this will do for a start. I should say that I am very fond of the cameras the in the K, M and A series. I'm much less interested in the succeeding series. The SP and Z series in particular are rather ugly and unPentax like (although that doesn't detract from their functionality, the Z1p is a lot of camera for the money).

Cheers, Kris.
01-02-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you wind up getting one, I would factor in a CLA (Cleaning, Lube and Adjustment) along with new light seals from Eric. Eric is the living legend that keeps all the old cameras working for everyone. They are mechanical so they need to be tuned up every 20 years or so.
01-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi David,
As you can see, there's quite a bit of choice involved here!
My recommendation for overall value, great, bright viewfinder, reasonable system accessories (available), moderate price and great performance in a manual Pentax film body would be the MX, with the ME Super second. The ME Super does add AV (aperture priority), but overall I like the MX.
Ron

01-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote

Probably the Spotmatic.
01-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #9

Autofocus: MZ-S absolutely! Second choice would be PZ-1p.
Manual focus: Super Program, MX, LX, almost any K or Spotty.
01-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have not seen the K2 being mentioned in above posts (i think..)

It is the only one I kept from my small collection..
Probably the biggest & heaviest of all suggestions though.
But very nice
01-02-2014, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you'll find that once you have one Pentax film body you'll want them all...

And then you'll start wanting Ricoh film bodies, and then Sears branded K-mount bodies & M42 bodies...

Just stay away from shopgoodwill.com. It will feed your addiction and the deals aren't as good as they used to be...
01-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I have not seen the K2 being mentioned in above posts (i think..)

It is the only one I kept from my small collection..
Probably the biggest & heaviest of all suggestions though.
But very nice
The K2 or the K2DMD are the most evolved Pentax Ks for sure but the Spotmatic is the model more historically valuable of the crop, it's the camera that made Pentax and proved that an SLR could have been as small and easy to use as a rangefinder, plus the first TTL commercially avaiable.

And it's a joy to use even today.
01-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

ME-Super... even with doing the CLA is still quite affordable. And it does what others do just as well... and is good looking too .
Obviously all the other ones that were recommended are just as good and some consider them even better, in the end is a matter of funds and preferences .

If you prefer newer generations, I recommend MZ-6 / MZ-7. Great cameras for very decent prices!
The only down-size is that their body is made of plastic...
01-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
And it's a joy to use even today
Don't say things like this to me,
it will only cost me money. :-)
It is indeed a very nice classic
01-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Don't say things like this to me,
it will only cost me money. :-)
It is indeed a very nice classic
Little money, the Spotmatic can be found for cheap too.