Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And the needle.
+1 for the KX needle. I prefer the matched needle metering of the KX and K2 over the "balanced needle" of the K1000/KM and the LED in the MX.

01-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And the needle

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
+1 for the KX needle. I prefer the matched needle metering of the KX and K2 over the "balanced needle" of the K1000/KM and the LED in the MX.
Yeah the couple times I tried a MX the LED meter system drove me nuts. The KX/K2/K2DMD needle meter is way better.

Phl.
01-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KX viewfinder was, for me, the best. A blue needle showed the shutter speed, the periscope showed the aperture, the black needle showed what the meter thought, and you could simply change the aperture or shutter speed as desired to put the needle a stop or two either side. Simple, convenient, logical.
01-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was able to "collect" all the K bodies and I also have a battered MX that I also use and that suffered of a lot of abuse in its life. My impression is that the K series consists of full size heavy and robust cameras, higher you go with the models more features you have, so:

K2DMD>K2>KX>KM>K1000

they also become heavier! The base model of the series is IMO the KM, which is the equivalent of the Spotmatic F that it replaced,the K1000 came later as stripped down KM without self timer and DOF, both useful features IMO, especially the DOF but also the self timer allows you to shoot with a tripod without shaking the camera.

The KX was the next improvement, IMO it doesn't much more than the KM, you can lock the mirror and see the aperture in the viewer, but it gets a lot of love...it requires to move the advance lever to turn on the meter which good, if you lose or forget your cap with a Spotmatic, a K1000 or a KM you're in trouble.

IMO the K2 and the K2DMD are the real deal because they have MORE useful functions, in particular they feature an aperture priority shutter speed dial, metal curtains that run vertically (not the cloth Leica-time shutter of the others), a fast lightmeter, basically they are professional camera besides the interchangeble screens and viewers. A lot of people don't like them because they are an electronic shutter but my understanding is that the Seiko unit is reliable, the DMD can use gadgets that are hard to find but it has a split screen and you can see the aperture in the viewer if you are bothered.

All the K cameras are big and solid, they didn't remain in production for long so they are a little forgotten besides the K1000 that built its reputation in its long career, but as a matter of fact it's the stripped down K and all the others offer more...but all five models are excellent cameras.

The MX is a different thing: it's much smaller, lighter and has a very large viewer. It's supposely a small size KX without a feature (mirror lock up) but with interchangeble screens and it can work with motordrives so it's a sort of replacement of the K2DMD at the top of the line (the DMD is a much better camera), the led lightmeter is VERY accurate and fast, but of course in low light situations it might be annoying. My tech and other people don't like it much because it seems it's so miniaturised that it's difficult to service, it's a good camera if you need something small and light to carry on, but it's weight works against it if you are using a heavy lens.

01-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the KX full exposure information viewfinder is without equal.
The K2DMD is similar, but I prefer the KX.

The MX 5 LED exposure indicator is better than the usual 3 LEDs,
but not as good as the analog readout in the KX, K2 and K2DMD.
I like the size of the MX, but the shutter speed dial is not user friendly.

When I want the simplicity of a classic Pentax center-the-needle meter
I prefer the KM to the K1000 for the DOF preview, which I use regularly.

Chris
01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
For me it's all about the viewfinder... Didn't like the k1000 because of that
I find it a bit hard to focus; even my Mamiya's are better by a little bit! The ME is heads and shoulders above that, my Nikon F3 puts BOTH of them to shame and my Canon's...well, they're Canon! LOL
01-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
I find it a bit hard to focus; even my Mamiya's are better by a little bit! The ME is heads and shoulders above that, my Nikon F3 puts BOTH of them to shame and my Canon's...well, they're Canon! LOL

How can the F3's tiny viewfinder magnification (.80) put to shame the huge magnification (.97) of the ME? Do you wear glasses?

01-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
How can the F3's tiny viewfinder magnification (.80) put to shame the huge magnification (.97) of the ME? Do you wear glasses?
I do! Thick ones too, but I also wear contacts. Not just the size, brightness, and the focusing screen which, in the F3 just seems better to me as far as focusing goes. For everything else, the ME is hard to beat! (But I wish it had a needle like my K1000)
01-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly a lot of personal preferences here. I will add my own, First let me explain I love all my cameras, from the K1000, Km, KX. K2, LX, ME Program A, and the full range of Spotmatics plus many other makes (now a total of 68). At the moment I have a film in my "Eric Restored" SV which I could seriously consider my main film camera as second choice. But of all the Pentax cameras, the one I bought in 1977 is to me the finest, most perfect SLR ever made. That is the MX.
01-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I started many years ago with an ME Super and so got used to the M series size. I have a KX, a KM and an MX and use the latter much more than the former. The MX has the advantage, for me, of an interchangeable focus screen which means I can use the screen with grid lines with my SMC Pentax 28mm shift lens. My most used film camera remains my LX, however.

It is all down to personal preference and experience (and often the type of camera one learnt on).

K.
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
It is all down to personal preference and experience (and often the type of camera one learnt on).
I think this summarizes it best. The nice thing about most of the metal Pentax film bodies is you can get the experience and learn your preferences by buying them, trying them, and then selling the ones which aren't your favorite. They hold their value well so you really aren't out any money for the ones you don't keep.

I've owned every K-series film body. The only one I didn't like, or keep, was the K2, and most people really like this one. However I love the K2 DMD and it's one of my most-used and favorite cameras. I have two of them. There are a few others here in the crowd who share similar experience with the K2 versus the K2 DMD. The MX is the camera I reach for the most. Because of it's size it makes a great travel camera, along with my K 28/3.5 and M 50/1.7 lenses.

I never fell in love with my KX. It's a nice camera, but it doesn't get the same appreciation from me as some of my other ones.

My first camera was a K1000. I still use it and it has served me well for more than 20 years. I don't travel with it, but I'll take it with me in the yard and neighborhood every now and then. I love it's simplicity and the meter needle is my favorite of all the film cameras. You're right, it is much easier to adjust shutter speeds compared to the MX. I also have a brown K1000 SE that is beautiful. If you're wondering why you like the K1000 so much, another Forum member explains it here and it's one of my favorite posts: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/107126-i-use-k1000.html
01-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I like the KX, feels like a step formward from the Spotmatic. Not only the viewfinder/info is better but has a couple more features. It is to me a bit closer to the Nikon FE which is one of the best cameras ever.

I have not used a MX, but the MESuper and the viewfinder is great, plus the smaller size makes it easier for me to carry.

Last edited by titrisol; 01-06-2014 at 10:14 AM.
01-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW that small window above the KX focus screen normally shows the aperture setting reflected from the lens barrel.
It works well in most conditions, i.e. when there is some overhead light. The K2DMD and MX use a similar system.

Chris
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #29

Here's a vote for the MX over the K1000. The K1000 is a camera that you will probably want to replace in a year or so. The MX might not be.

FWIW, I am one of the minority here who prefer M-series bodies (I use an ME Super, my wife uses MX) to K-series ones (owned a few K1000s and a KX). I liked the K1000s that I owned a lot. I prefered the center-needle metering to the match-needle metering of the KX. I like the MX best of all.

Never owned or used an LX. One day.
01-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The KX viewfinder was, for me, the best. A blue needle showed the shutter speed, the periscope showed the aperture, the black needle showed what the meter thought, and you could simply change the aperture or shutter speed as desired to put the needle a stop or two either side. Simple, convenient, logical.
+1 on that. Plus, while not the largest and brightest, the KX screen pops things into focus better IMO than the MX screen.

That said, the MX has its own allure with the size/weight factor, and even the light show

I bought a KX, got it CLA'd, and love it to death. But it isn't on the frequent flyers on my camera rotation.
I've bought two MX's. One after the CLA I gave to my nephew for his 21st birthday. The second one (KEH EX on sale) my daughter seems to own now - she's shooting college photo classes with it, and loves it to bits. Doesn't want the Nikon, doesn't want the Pentax autofocus, and even gave up her previous favorite, the SP1000. So that MX will see hundreds of rolls through it in the next two years.

I will probably end up buying a third MX at some point. Why not!? But if I had to stick to one Pentax only, I probably would end up with the KX/.