Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K1000 and I don't plan on selling it, but I reach for my ME Super or LX much more often. The ME is my jacket-pocketable point and shoot, and the LX is my full-featured me-time body. Love the simplicity of the K1000 though...you make me want to get out there and finish that roll of Delta 100 that's in it!

01-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
The ME is my jacket-pocketable point and shoot
Speaking of the pocket cameras, I use the DA 40 XS on my Super Program for a small, lightweight combo. The *ist film body with the 40 XS also makes a compact camera I love to carry in my pocket.
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love that 40mm focal length! Never thought to use my 40 XS on my P30T...no way to control the aperture, though--pure Program mode, I guess. Will have to get an AF or at least aperture-control-from-the-body model. But I do have the M40/2.8, so maybe that's just too much trouble...
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I don't need AF with the 40 XS on the Super Program, and I just adjust the shutter speed to move the camera's aperture setting. I looked at the M 40 for a long time, but couldn't pass on the XS when it was released.

01-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
+1 on that. Plus, while not the largest and brightest, the KX screen pops things into focus better IMO than the MX screen.

I bought a KX, got it CLA'd, and love it to death. But it isn't on the frequent flyers on my camera rotation.
I've bought two MX's. One after the CLA I gave to my nephew for his 21st birthday. The second one (KEH EX on sale) my daughter seems to own now - she's shooting college photo classes with it, and loves it to bits. Doesn't want the Nikon, doesn't want the Pentax autofocus, and even gave up her previous favorite, the SP1000. So that MX will see hundreds of rolls through it in the next two years.
Ha! You must have an awesome family.

So the KX screen is better than the MX screen? Is it ground glass with a microprism circle? Or does it have a split prism focusing aid?
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KX screen in on my post above.
It is similar to the Spotmatic; microprism circle, besides the meter needle (black) there is a speed needle indicator (green) and the judas window to see the aperture on the lens

I do not have a MX, but I assume it is like the ME Super, with a spli-circle and amazingly bright; however you could change screens on that one
01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
This big, heavy, and fully mechanical body offers no automation of any kind.
LOL... I'm guessing he hasn't used a Nikon F2. Now there's a big ol' brick of a camera! (and one of my all-time faves)

You're not nuts for liking what you like. Whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever best fits your style is the camera for you. Personally, I preferred my old Nikon F2, Nikomat FT2 & Pentax K1000 to a lot of the more modern automated SLRs I've owned. There's also some comfort in knowing that if the battery conks on an all-mechanical camera you can keep on shooting at all shutter speeds.

Use what ya like & enjoy yourself!

01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the KX screen is better than the MX screen? Is it ground glass with a microprism circle? Or does it have a split prism focusing aid?
Both were available, though the microprism is more common.

I have two KX’s with the microprism screen and one KX with the split.

Phil.
01-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[EDIT: Phil beat me by a few minutes, but I'll leave my post anyway.]
It really is a matter of preference. Of all the viewfinder information arrangements of all the cameras I've ever used I like the match-needle of the KX the best.

The KX came standard with the microprism circle centered on a matte focusing screen. It was also available as a factory-order or dealer-service item with a split-prism center spot, but those are quite uncommon today. I have one of each version in black. Frankly I prefer the microprism version - it just "snaps" into focus.

The MX has a very bright viewfinder - there is much debate whether the MESuper or the MX has the brightest Pentax ever released - with the aperture indicator in the Judas window and the clear wheel to indicate shutter speed - but the colored LED's to indicate exposure just don't do it for me. I have an MX with a tiny dent on the right rear shoulder that I picked up at a yard sale. It was a rear cap for an M50/1.7. Because of the dent and a sticky mirror I was able to talk the seller down to $25 cash. I actually felt bad about that after I got in my car.

For about a minute.
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

For about a minute.
I bet it wasn't even a full minute though...
01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I bet it wasn't even a full minute though...
Actually it was the full minute. But that's because the $25 included the lens.

I really need to get this sent off to Tennessee but then I would hjave something like ten working film cameras and I just can't admit to myself that I have a double digit working camera collection.
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #42

Photos: Albums
the colored LED's to indicate exposure just don't do it for me.
Definitely my least favorite part of the MX viewfinder. However, I do like the split-circle focus screen better than the KX's microprism.
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #43

Original Poster
For about a minute.
Evil. (;

Alright. Since this thread is all about preferences, here are a few of my own.

I am easily distracted, so I've found that I don't like seeing anything in the viewfinder beside the meter and the image. For that reason, I like the centering needle over the match needle system—I don't want to see the speeds, and I would rather look at a single needle.

I also don't like the MX LEDs as much because they're sometimes ambiguous; I confuse +1 and -1 for a split second sometimess. (On more modern SLRs and dSLRs, there is often an LED "scale" that is always illuminated, so there is no ambiguity.)

The K1000 feels like it has the right size, heft, and grip. I like that there are no controls for me to fiddle with (remember: I am easily distracted, so I do fiddle), and that also means a better grip.

The biggest problem with the K1000: it doesn't come in black.
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian

The biggest problem with the K1000: it doesn't come in black.
Nothing a sharpie can not fix
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I'll be darned!