Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1000 - Sluggish Film Advance

Okay! So I got a seriously neglected K1000 for free. It was wearing a Sears 135mm f/2.8 with no lens cap. The battery had died, leaving the needle grounded, but a new battery shows a working light meter. Score! I have cleaned the body and the lens as best I can. The body obviously needs new foam (sticky, crumbly, squishy) and I have a kit on the way from Jon Goodman. Very pleasant, BTW.

The lens is no good to me with sticky aperture blades, and me already owning at SMC Pentax-M 135mm. If you want it, PM me and I will give it to you for shipping...

Nevertheless, I am super pumped for the K1000, EXCEPT... The film advance lever winds smoothly, but does not return. It requires me to physically push it back to its original, "closed" position. I have NOT run any film through the camera, but with my experience with my ME Super, I don't think having film loaded will make the difference in this regard. Does the film advance lever need attention? Is it acceptable to manually return the lever to its original position? Will my theoretical film advance correctly? Are there more mechanical problems on the horizon?

I was very much looking forward to a fully-mechanical body and it was nice that the K1000 fell into my lap. Here's hoping that all's well!

01-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'd email Eric and see what he thinks, sounds like a spring broke in the film advance lever.

Eric's web site:

Pentax Camera Service

Phil.
01-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've got a spare roll and I think I'm gonna risk running it through the camera just to see how it all goes, sticky crumbly seals and all.

With the film door open, watching the operation on both the ME Super and the K1000, there is no mechanical difference that I can witness besides the fact that the advance lever needs help returning to closed. Neither body seems to have any "activity" taking place inside while the film advance lever is in the process of returning to its closed position, and the exposure counter appears to be functioning...

For what it's worth, there is a shallow but significant dent in the top plate, on the back of the camera, near the top of the body and just under the film advance lever, so there's obviously been some rough-housing in this camera's past. Maybe this shallow dent is in just the right spot that some moving part inside has an obstructed path?

I will definitely email Eric to see if he has an opinion, but I wonder if this isn't a minor defect that won't impact the functionality of the camera. I don't need a showroom floor model. ;-)

I'll let you know how the exposures come out, and what Eric has to say.
01-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did email Eric Hendrickson and he responded within a couple hours. Nice! I sent him images of the camera's dent and the position the advance lever likes to stop at and he suggested a certain style of fiddling with the lever to get it to loosen up. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I will continue to nurse it.

There is a little bit of... something going on with the advancing of the film, but it could also be user error. One thing is for certain: With film loaded in the camera, the advance lever is STIFF. Like, whoa. I'm gonna be beefing up my thumb muscle using this camera. Much stiffer than my ME Super (my only other manual-advance camera at the moment, which is why I am constantly comparing them).

I had to try twice when loading the film. The first time, even though everything seemed snapped down and aligned with sprockets and such, the rewind knob did not rotate when the film advanced, and the rewind knob was not engaged at all when I tried to rewind the film to try again. I sat in the bathroom in the dark and shoved the film back in the canister manually. The second go at loading film in the body went fine, but, like I said, stiff stiff stiff advance.

I went out to shoot the roll quickly, since it's cold, the mirror bumper is sticky and there are no light seals on the back that I can see. When I wasn't shooting, I kept it in a dark-colored cloth bag (Crown Royal, actually), just to be safe about letting light in. Around what the exposure counter told me was the 21st or 22nd, the advance lever got serious with me and it ripped and skipped. That exposure only advanced half-way and so there is a half-sized exposure, followed by a full-sized exposure that is double-exposed over half... After that exposure, (which was 22 or 23?), I didn't fight the lever and just re-wound the film and took it in for development.

Besides anomalies that I see from the first botched attempt at loading the film, and the halfie-double-exposure at the end, the pictures are ... fine. I mean, they're not knocking my socks off or anything, but this was my test roll. I am very please to see that my meter appears to be dead-on.

I will re-do the seals and shoot a few more rolls to see if this lever won't loosen up. The camera has been neglected and unused for who knows how long. If regular use doesn't do the trick, my "free" camera will probably be asking Eric for a tune-up. It is a really pleasant camera to use, so I look forward to maintaining it...

01-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I did email Eric Hendrickson and he responded within a couple hours. Nice! I sent him images of the camera's dent and the position the advance lever likes to stop at and he suggested a certain style of fiddling with the lever to get it to loosen up. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I will continue to nurse it.

There is a little bit of... something going on with the advancing of the film, but it could also be user error. One thing is for certain: With film loaded in the camera, the advance lever is STIFF. Like, whoa. I'm gonna be beefing up my thumb muscle using this camera. Much stiffer than my ME Super (my only other manual-advance camera at the moment, which is why I am constantly comparing them).

I had to try twice when loading the film. The first time, even though everything seemed snapped down and aligned with sprockets and such, the rewind knob did not rotate when the film advanced, and the rewind knob was not engaged at all when I tried to rewind the film to try again. I sat in the bathroom in the dark and shoved the film back in the canister manually. The second go at loading film in the body went fine, but, like I said, stiff stiff stiff advance.

I went out to shoot the roll quickly, since it's cold, the mirror bumper is sticky and there are no light seals on the back that I can see. When I wasn't shooting, I kept it in a dark-colored cloth bag (Crown Royal, actually), just to be safe about letting light in. Around what the exposure counter told me was the 21st or 22nd, the advance lever got serious with me and it ripped and skipped. That exposure only advanced half-way and so there is a half-sized exposure, followed by a full-sized exposure that is double-exposed over half... After that exposure, (which was 22 or 23?), I didn't fight the lever and just re-wound the film and took it in for development.

Besides anomalies that I see from the first botched attempt at loading the film, and the halfie-double-exposure at the end, the pictures are ... fine. I mean, they're not knocking my socks off or anything, but this was my test roll. I am very please to see that my meter appears to be dead-on.

I will re-do the seals and shoot a few more rolls to see if this lever won't loosen up. The camera has been neglected and unused for who knows how long. If regular use doesn't do the trick, my "free" camera will probably be asking Eric for a tune-up. It is a really pleasant camera to use, so I look forward to maintaining it...
The shots turned out well and the meter seems accurate. Eric usually charges around $60.00 - $75.00 for a K1000 CLA, so it’s worth it in the end.

Enjoy!

Phil.