Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my LX, best camera I own. Congrats, you will love it so much.

the FB 1 I just acquired and I honestly don't like how it changes the magnification of the VF, I would rather have the dedicated waist level finder (cant' remember the model of it right now). The standard viewfinder is a must have.

Mine looks like it had the CLA done as the seals all look newish and it works like a fine swiss watch...but the body is beat to crap. the wonderful thing is I scored it for $200 from B&H.

the one thing that drove me crazy was the light meter... I didn't understand the manual and assumed it worked as such on my MX. Make sure you read the manual and understand the meter operation or you will be less than impressed with the results and think somethings broken as I did.

01-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I love my LX, best camera I own. Congrats, you will love it so much.

the FB 1 I just acquired and I honestly don't like how it changes the magnification of the VF, I would rather have the dedicated waist level finder (cant' remember the model of it right now). The standard viewfinder is a must have.

Mine looks like it had the CLA done as the seals all look newish and it works like a fine swiss watch...but the body is beat to crap. the wonderful thing is I scored it for $200 from B&H.

the one thing that drove me crazy was the light meter... I didn't understand the manual and assumed it worked as such on my MX. Make sure you read the manual and understand the meter operation or you will be less than impressed with the results and think somethings broken as I did.
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
This doesn't sound reasonable from the seller. Since the viewing screen is in the body I can't see how various finders could affect the rangefinder alignment. I've never noticed any misalignment on my LXs between the "standard" pentaprism, the magnifying eyepiece, or the FB 1 and action eyepiece. I'd imagine that either the screen is improperly installed, or that the mirror's rest position is incorrect, as suggested by TomB_tx.

You'll love the LX. Watch for the winder, it integrates well with the camera and offers power rewind! Wowzer!
Thanks for the helpful advice, grh and Wired. Mine is on its way to Eric now. The same problem shows up with the standard viewer, which I've now had a chance to try. One question do you think it's worth writing a temperate note to the seller, who has a %100 rating on Ebay, saying roughly 'the advice you gave me was mistaken' on the assumption that he was proceeding in good faith, or just skipping it as not worth the bother?

JVA
01-10-2014, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you are keeping the camera, just don't offer any feedback and leave it at that. Absolute silence. Otherwise I would have sent it back for a refund.
01-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I read more than once that anyone buying an LX should count on an extensive CLA, and it stuck with me. So far I am fine, but I expect it. I think that is true unless you buy one that Eric has serviced. I'm not sure that purchase pricing is fair in this field, but if you love what the camera can do, then it will be a bargain. Enjoy it when you get it back, serviced by the best there is.

03-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Well, I read more than once that anyone buying an LX should count on an extensive CLA, and it stuck with me. So far I am fine, but I expect it. I think that is true unless you buy one that Eric has serviced. I'm not sure that purchase pricing is fair in this field, but if you love what the camera can do, then it will be a bargain. Enjoy it when you get it back, serviced by the best there is.
Thanks, Jacquot. Got it back and have shot a roll of film.
03-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Thanks, Jacquot. Got it back and have shot a roll of film.
Looking forward to hearing about your results. I have one I bought from a forum member and it looks like it was babied. I'm sending a pair of bodies to Eric this week and figured I might as well have my LX looked over. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, but a $63 service if it even requires that much is worth it with the price of film and processing these days.

What was Eric's turnaround time for you? And if you don't mind me asking, or your sharing, what did your LX need? How's the camera feel and operate since it returned?
03-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
... I might as well have my LX looked over. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, but a $63 service if it even requires that much is worth it with the price of film and processing these days.

What was Eric's turnaround time for you? And if you don't mind me asking, or your sharing, what did your LX need? How's the camera feel and operate since it returned?
Even Eric charges a lot more for an LX CLA, due to all the seals and such. Seems like mine was more like 3x his "Spotmatic" CLA, but that was a few years ago.
03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Even Eric charges a lot more for an LX CLA, due to all the seals and such. Seems like mine was more like 3x his "Spotmatic" CLA, but that was a few years ago.

I shall find out, possibly as early as Wednesday. The LX, ME Super, and KM are on their way as of this afternoon. The LX may not need anything. It's in pristine condition. The gentleman I bought it from on the forum had two of his three serviced but, wasn't sure if this was one of the two or not. The film I've run through it hasn't given me any trouble and the results are excellent. My KM and ME Super both have things I need addressed and figured with free estimates and already sending a large flat rate box, it basically was getting a free ride with the other two.

03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking forward to hearing about your results. I have one I bought from a forum member and it looks like it was babied. I'm sending a pair of bodies to Eric this week and figured I might as well have my LX looked over. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, but a $63 service if it even requires that much is worth it with the price of film and processing these days.

Got your message. I've got the info in my office, and will let you know.
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Great, thanks. I spoke to him today on the phone about what the cameras had going on and asked about the turnaround time as I have a trip to California coming up. He said he got slammed last week and it might be as long as three weeks. I just needed to make sure I gave him an address where the box won't sit outside while I'm gone. Yes, I already have that address, no need for anyone to volunteer to provide guardianship over my cameras.
03-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great, thanks. I spoke to him today on the phone about what the cameras had going on and asked about the turnaround time as I have a trip to California coming up. He said he got slammed last week and it might be as long as three weeks. I just needed to make sure I gave him an address where the box won't sit outside while I'm gone. Yes, I already have that address, no need for anyone to volunteer to provide guardianship over my cameras.

It took Eric about a month (shipping times to and fro included). My LX needed a fair amount of work, CLA, of course. repair of light seals and mirror bumper and repair of mirror mechanism, which was out of whack. I rather wish I'd had the patience to wait for one to come up on the forum, but I succumbed to the siren lure of ebay after an amusing, and entirely forgivable, series of exchanges with forum members who, after initially expressing a willingness to sell their LXs couldn't bring themselves to part with them.
03-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Thee weeks is nothing, I know you want it, but that is great. You will be very happy, all around.
03-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I got my quote from Eric. He says it sounds and feels like the bumpers have been replaced, so it's a matter of a clean/lube treatment and confirming the accuracy of the shutter speeds and meter. Of the three cameras I sent him, my LX is going to cost me the least. I'm also excited that he's optimistic about turning three camera bodies and a lens, he couldn't do anything with the second lens, by the end of the month.