Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #1

Can't set film speed on SP500

Hi I've a Spotmatic SP500 that I can't set the film speed. When I take and pull up on the shutter speed dial and try to turn it to set the ASA it only turns the shutter speed dial to another speed. So it' always set at 200 ASA and I've never used the camera as I always shoot high speed 800 ASA film. Does anyone out there know what would make the film setting not turn when the knobs pulled up. I've several other Spotmatics and two K1000's and have never had a problem like this with them. Please HELP ME !!!.

01-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears the ASA ring is not disengaging from the speed setting mechanism. Try it at different speed settings, it may unjam.
01-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try pushing down on the shutter speed knob with one spare finger while lifting and turning the ring with two others. (two hands easiest)

it may give enough resistance to turn the film speed ring without alos turning the shutter speed. Hopefully it's just a little sticky since it's an old camera, and that may loosen it.
If not, it may need to be pulled apart and cleaned out.
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
It appears the ASA ring is not disengaging from the speed setting mechanism. Try it at different speed settings, it may unjam.
Thank you so much for your advice will try out.

01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Try pushing down on the shutter speed knob with one spare finger while lifting and turning the ring with two others. (two hands easiest)

it may give enough resistance to turn the film speed ring without alos turning the shutter speed. Hopefully it's just a little sticky since it's an old camera, and that may loosen it.
If not, it may need to be pulled apart and cleaned out.
Thank you so much for your advice will try out.