Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've used felt for years, probably done 20 cameras with it and had no problems at all. But your mileage might vary.
Thanks for letting us know! (I knew someone out there had to have done it. I mean—I hear they used wool in older cameras, so I figured someone must've tried it in their newer Pentax/Olympus/Canon/Nikon SLRs.) How long has it lasted so far, and why do you use felt instead of foam?

01-09-2014, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I buy sheets of sticky back 1mm foam and felt from a craft shop, cut it with rotary cutter so it doesn't drag - I can cut the foam thinner that 1mm for the light seals. I use the felt for the door ends etc.
I started to use the felt for the mirror bumper for no other reason than it's thinner than the rubber and does the job just fine, I have used the foam but it looked a bit thick for many of the cameras I've done, such as Pentax, Chinon, Canon, Olympus, Zenit, Praktica and Rollei.
Obviously buying a kit is the easy option, and I have no doubt that the John Goodman kits are excellent, his reputation is good. But I just prefer to have a few sheets of foam and felt and replace the seals as and when I get another camera, and some of my odd Russian stuff there's no kits for them anyway.
I think the first one I did was a ME Super about 5 or 6 years ago and it's fine, I haven't seen any stray fibres in the camera from the felt mirror bumper. But I am the sort of camera user that will change lenses outside in a storm and not worry unduly about crap getting in - I try to avoid it but I'll deal with crap in PP.
01-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
PVC felt or cotton or wool?
01-10-2014, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Good question, and the answer is, I don't know. I've just got this sheet out of the box ( and the foam I use ) and tried to shift some fibres with an old toothbrush and it's very resilient to shedding fibres, Scotch tape doesn't pull any off either.

[IMG]
foam felt par David Lloyd, on ipernity[/IMG]

I haven't pimped a camera with the red felt and foam yet, but I think it's gonna happen.

01-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lloydy : the photo is SO useful -- just what I wanted to see ! Most members here say they 'Go into WALMART' -- well we have NO Walmart -- I think there is a Hobby Craft in Romford, Essex .
01-15-2014, 02:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
Lloydy : the photo is SO useful -- just what I wanted to see ! Most members here say they 'Go into WALMART' -- well we have NO Walmart -- I think there is a Hobby Craft in Romford, Essex .
Hobbycraft have some useful stuff for photographers, there's the foam and felt - sticky backed and plain, and they also sell framing matt cards and frames. The bigger stores have a good model making section and I've had some useful tools from there such as dentist style picks, tiny drills, good tweezers and pliers, and a matt finish Revell model paint that's just about perfect for touching up cameras.
The other thing to get if you do your own foam seals is a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. You can then easily cut strips thinner than 1mm. Scalpels and hobby knives drag through foam, the rotary is the right tool for the job.
01-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lloydy : Today I went to Romford and got some of that exact 'Fab Foam' for 80 pence a sheet -- I had some foam already but it was TOO THICK -- I bought just one sheet to try it out but it looks much better -- many thanks for the photo again -- they were so interested to hear the story of a kind bloke in Shropshire mentioning Hobby Craft !
01-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
Sure. But could a person use felt?
I have used adhesive backed felt from a craft store and it worked fine.

01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
I have used adhesive backed felt from a craft store and it worked fine.
Excellent! How long ago did you do it? Also…does it shed?
01-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've put Scotchtape on the sheet of felt and ripped it off and no fibers came off. I'm about to do a Yashica tomorrow, and i've used the felt for mirror bumpers for a few years now. But really there's no reason to not use the rubber, it's what they come with, as indeed do the kits, and I have used rubber. The felt is a bit thinner than the rubber, and softer, and seems to be easier to get in to position. And I get sheets for pennies.
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
Forum Member

Well.. The foam of my ME was totally rotten and you could not touch it because it would become dust... So I replaced it with a strip of velvet and it works fine... no lint at all...
01-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

What do you do on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon? break out the tools and resurrect some old classics. I replaced the light seals in the second Yashica FX-D Quartz today. The first one I did maybe 2 years ago and used felt for the mirror bumper and since then I've probably run about 3 films through it. I have too many cameras.....
I changed the seals on the latest one but used foam for the mirror bumper, just to see if there might be a noticeable difference.

My very unscientific method of testing for mirror slap and general vibration from a camera is to mount the camera on something solid like my ancient Slik Pro tripod aka "the scaffolding", get a lens rear cap with a drop of water in it and balance it on the hotshoe, get a good strong sidelight, set the camera on self timer and shoot at different speeds. The unscientific bit is that I then judge the degree of ripples in the water. I guess the scientific method would be to use some fancy electronic vibration level meter ( we had bearing vibration level meters at work and maybe one of those might be the answer? but I've retired and haven't got access to it now )
I've used this method for years to see if tripods are any good, and I think it's actually a good easy test. I've got rid of a few tripods after this test. ( top tip, use a Zenit as the mirror slap is seismic )

So,,,,,what is my conclusion? felt or foam? surprisingly the felt is smoother - less ripples - and noticeably quieter. I expected no difference to be honest, but there is. It's very little, and I've driven my wife mad by clicking away for the last 3/4 hour. Maybe the foam I used is harder than the OEM foam, to be fair it probably is, and kits would hopefully come with the same grade foam.

Like I said earlier "your mileage might vary", but don't discount felt mirror bumpers.