Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
ME Super wind lever loose

Hi everyone, I'd like to preface by saying I'm very new to the field of photography. I picked up an ME Super with manual lenses locally through a craigslist ad, and am very pleased with it so far. I recently installed fresh batteries and was about to load film when I noticed that the rapid wind lever on the top right of the camera is loose, and I've seen in videos that it should have some kind of resistance. Is the camera done for? Can I fix it myself? I was really looking forward to getting to use it

Last edited by cafazucar; 04-07-2014 at 06:58 PM.
01-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Original Poster
Apologies for the double post, but I'm unable to modify the old one. I see now upon further inspection that the mirror is stuck in the up position as well, and the exposure knob is stuck on AUTO. Now I'm really feeling like this thing is unusable do repair shops even work on these old cameras anymore?
01-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Sounds like you encountered a common problem for well used or just very old ME Supers. One thing is that the foam for the mirror must be very gooey and needs replacing. If you are able to free the mirror gently and try to fire the shutter while set to B or 125X and it seems to open the shutter normally prior to possibly getting stuck again, then maybe the foam replacement is all you need.
Certainly, if the mirror is up and then the shutter cycle is not complete and the advancing gear is not engaged.

Worse is the internal bumpers are mush. They are deep enough that getting to them request quite a lot of disassembly. The job is usually best left to a professional... Eric Hendrickson or any repair guy who knows the Pentax issues and has the parts.
01-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ahh I see. I think it was the foam because after it got stuck I took off the lens and some black foam-like particles fell out. How do I fire the shutter if the wind lever is loose/not working properly? Exposure knob wasn't stuck after all. I sent Eric an email about it to get an estimate, but I feel like it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another body.

01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by cafazucar Quote
...fire the shutter if the wind lever is loose/not working properly
If you free the mirror and try winding, does it go back into gear?

Oh... an example of the internal bumpers... this was from a question way back about similar problems.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 01-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
If you free the mirror and try winding, does it go back into gear?

Oh... an example of the internal bumpers... this was from a question way back about similar problems.
That's usually all you need to do to a ME Super, excellent instructional picture.
01-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, but it's a no-go :/ The lever doesn't go back into gear so I'm assuming it's broken. Sigh, I guess I'll just sell the body for parts. Thanks for the help guys.
01-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

It sound as if you may have a severe version of the problem. The "...also check this arm..." bit is one of the things that will put the camera out of gear and the advance will be left limp.
I hope you have better luck with another body.

01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
Just picked one up on eBay, it seemed to be mechanically sound and in good physical condition. But I suppose you never know until you test it. Fingers crossed!
01-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

I will sacrifice a roll of film to the camera gods in hopes of good fortunes for you.
01-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well I received the replacement camera and all was well until I was in the process of loading a roll of film, and wound the lever once, carefully, just to find that the mirror had gotten stuck in the face-up position again. This time the lever isn't completely loose like it was in the video, but rather won't proceed past a certain point (I don't want to try and force it). I tried lightly pushing the mirror down and winding the lever back and forth in the hopes of getting it back into gear like was previously suggested, but it didn't work for me. Is my next course of action to open it up and check the internal bumpers/send it off for repair/maintenance? I don't have a lot more money to spend, but I really want to get this to work. Any more suggestions are welcome.
01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by cafazucar Quote
...rather won't proceed past a certain point...
In mid-cycle. Did the mirror not make it all the way up as well and the shutter is open or part of the way up or down?
01-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
No it seems the mirror is all the way up, blocking any light from entering the viewfinder. I'm going to get some replacement foam which will hopefully fix this problem
01-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
Here's a picture that hopefully shows what I mean:
01-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
Giveaway winner!

Seeing as the foam is sticky... try slipping a piece of Scotch/cellophane/clear tape to cover the surface of the foam and then test the shutter... with no tacky foam to slow it down, it should operate as normal.

If not, then another problem.