01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #1

ME F -- advert from the past

Pentax MEF - the first SLR with Auto Focus | Teckler

Those were the days!

01-11-2014, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the last sentence of the article. I wish/hope Pentax could/will lead the way in the future of DSLRs...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I like the last sentence of the article. I wish/hope Pentax could/will lead the way in the future of DSLRs...
The K-3 switchable AA filter was a significant innovation
01-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like the camera shot on it's own focusing screen in the ad. I managed to get hold of a working body & lens setup last year after a couple of attempts. Something very strange about a 'proper' camera driving the spilt-image to a perfect alignment. Having used an SFXn I still miss the left/right arrows in the current DSLRs.

01-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to see them do something with lenses that would really make people want to use the system. Like a 100mm f2 or a focal reducing adapter for medium format lenses. Something I can't imagine.
01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I meant a 100 f1.4.
01-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And I don't care if a 100f1.4 would be large. It would be a 100 f1.4.

01-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Does the ME-F focus confirm with manual lenses ? I've got the Olympus OM 30 or OM-F in North America, that was a similar concept, which does have focus confirmation that is surprisingly accurate with a MF lens. I haven't got the 35-70 lens which was the only lens for the camera, but by all accounts the system was not very good.
I've also got the Chinon CE-5 which had a range of AF lenses, which again I haven't got, but that doesn't confirm focus.
The Pentax ME-F would be nice to have if it has focus confirmation, which is what the "audio visual guidance" stated in the advert seems to suggest.
01-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Does the ME-F focus confirm with manual lenses ? I've got the Olympus OM 30 or OM-F in North America, that was a similar concept, which does have focus confirmation that is surprisingly accurate with a MF lens. I haven't got the 35-70 lens which was the only lens for the camera, but by all accounts the system was not very good.
I've also got the Chinon CE-5 which had a range of AF lenses, which again I haven't got, but that doesn't confirm focus.
The Pentax ME-F would be nice to have if it has focus confirmation, which is what the "audio visual guidance" stated in the advert seems to suggest.
Yes, the ME-F has focus confirmation with MF lenses up to a certain max. aperture (the limit is 'up to f/5.6' but might not include f/5.6?). Either from the split-image focus aid or the green hexagon under the focus screen. It will also display the left/right arrows to tell you which way to turn the focusing ring (Pentax lenses - some independent ones focus the 'wrong' way). There's also an optional beep to confirm focus.
01-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love this camera, is a Super MESuper
I got it because of th elens attached to it (M50/1.4) a while ago, it came with the data back and I used it in my normal rotation.
My uncle used to have one and I rememeber the weird lens and how awesome it was....

While the MESuper has developed some problems this one keeps chugging along...my only gripe with it is the awkward battery door, but other than that is great.

Yes it does confirm focus on most lenses, it works great and it has a button to switch between luminous (<2.8) and not-so-loumious lenses (>3.5) , I have used it sucessfully with a Spiratone 400/6.3, and provides focus confirmation either visually or with a beep

ME-F (top) vs ME-Super (bottom)

Last edited by titrisol; 01-11-2014 at 06:59 PM.
01-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed, the ME-F focus confirmation works surprisingly well with manual focus lenses.

Chris
01-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I shall be looking for one of these then. Thanks for the focus confirmation conformation.
01-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a couple from a fellow that bought them to use professionally back in the day. I sold one to a fellow forum member and kept the one that had not been used. I also have a black version but have yet to take pics of it. It works well, but of course is slow and noisy. The lens takes batteries and contains the motor (No screw drive). It's ironic that the technology moved towards screwdrive, to now see it come back to SDM etc today....

01-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting camera and lens, thanks for posting the ad.

I always found it strange that the AF35-70 lens has a fixed maximum aperture of f2.8 and the standard “M” zoom has a variable aperture of f2.8-3.5. There was a “K” series prototype of this zoom that did have the fixed f2.8 maximum aperture, but it never went into production. All three 35-70 zoom lenses had the same optics.

Unfortunately Auto-Focusing is one of my pet peeves, so I’ll never own an AF camera.

Phil.
01-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never owned the Pentax AF 35-70 f/2.8 zoom, but I do wish Pentax had marketed a manual focus version.

I suppose it's a whole 'nother discussion but I do own this oddity:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_686.html

It's a self-contained AF lens that works on any K mount camera.

Chris