Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The awesome PZ1p

So recently I've been playing with my Pentax cameras again. Seeing the results of the DA lenses with film has really made me re-think my approach.
The PZ1p has always been a fun favorite of mine to use. A lot of features and what not. Not much to dislike... except the noise. It's a loud camera!

For those who have used it in professional settings, curious how you've dealt with the noise? I've thought about going to an MZ-6 or maybe an MZ-S... but the MZ-6 automatically rewinds (awful screaming sound if the area is super quiet) and the MZ-S is way out of my reach and doesn't have Av for DA lenses.

Anyways, would love to hear your thoughts!

01-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have used the PZ1 and PZ1p in weddings and other church like settings through the 1990's. I would turn off all beeps, use manual focus and, set the auto rewind to off. I would go outside to change film if need be.There was not much I could do with the 500fgz flash though as it makes some noise also. I went from those two cameras to a K10d in 2006 and now have a K30.
01-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also turned off the auto rewind and take it into the other room or outdoors when time comes to change rolls.
01-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I owned a couple of PZ1p bodies and I still own an MZ-S. Both of them have the auto-rewind feature. I did not use either camera when I was a professional photojournalist (left that profession in the early 1990s), but I can say that auto-rewind NOW would be really weird in most settings, given that no one would be accustomed to hearing that sound in the digital world (kind of like hearing a fax-modem, a home answering machine, or Tom Brokaw).

I got rid of my PZ1p bodies because I just wasn't shooting them enough and I figured they would be loved by other people more worthy than I. I decided to keep the MZ-S as it is in really nice condition and is quiet (though I have turned off the automatic re-wind, like Pioneer. That said, the PZ1p is frankly a better professional grade camera than the MZ-S, I think. The thing is considerably faster for film transport (at least twice the frames per second of the MZ-S), and it features a faster max shutter speed. Neither has a very good battery solution for a professional camera unless you combine the MZ-S with a battery grip, which is expensive. I would admit, however, that the MZ-S is -- by far -- the most ergonomically pleasing film SLR I have ever owned or used. Holding it just screams "quality" really.

01-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
but I can say that auto-rewind NOW would be really weird in most settings, given that no one would be accustomed to hearing that sound in the digital world (kind of like hearing a fax-modem, a home answering machine, or Tom Brokaw).

True.

While none of my cameras have auto-rewind, the A3 does have an inbuilt motorwind, and the ME now has an external winder.

The A3 would get a few looks when teh shutter did it's usual "clack! BZZZZZZZZ"
But not as many as the ME does.
Then again, the A3 could pass for digital, the ME with the winder, 28mm lens, rubber hood, old flash, and a bright red strap tends to get noticed.
01-16-2014, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
I got rid of my PZ1p bodies because I just wasn't shooting them enough and I figured they would be loved by other people more worthy than I.
Funny, I sold my MZ-S for the exact same reason and instead I kept both my PZ1ps. The are bigger but they are amazingly capable cameras. I even sold my Canon EOS 1V because I preferred how the PZ1p worked. The focus was just as fast and although the fps was not as quick I found it wasn't really a big deal. Focus is actually VERY accurate on both my PZ1ps and that is really what has sold me on those cameras. Even my newer digitals are not as accurate. Finally, I love the feel. They are big cameras but surprisingly well balanced with everything I use right out to the FA* 200. And as long as the digital lens will cover full frame I can use DA lenses as well since the electronics in the PZ1p can control the electronic aperture.

I use my metal, manual, mechanical monsters more frequently but, when I need it, the PZ1p always delivers. Wonderful camera.
01-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

I never owned a PZ1p, never had a need for the panoramic mode. But, I still have 2 PZ1's, one is loaded with B&W, the other color film. I fell in love with them and still use them when I can. These cameras offer a lot of features and just feel great to hold and operate. They feel a lot like my K10D's if they don't have the grip installed. That is one of the things I first noticed when I held a K10, it felt just as comfortable as my PZ1.
They are just fantastic film cameras. Mine don't see a lot of use, I should use them more than I do, but I should be shooting more, period.

01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

I sold the PZ1p before the PZ1 because I felt the PZ1 had better more usable functions than the PZ1p. I Kept shooting both cameras long after after Pentax came out with the ist series of digital bodies. I finally broke down and bought the istDS and DA 18-55 and never looked back. I miss the size and feel of the PZ1 bodies though.

Have fun with your PZ1, I got 14 years of pleasure from them.

John
01-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the feedback. There are occasional lulls during the ceremony where one can go to a side room or to the back and let the camera rewind. However, I usually find myself at the front so that puts things in a bit of an awkward situation. I may just have to have a well muffled bag with my and put the camera in the bag to rewind maybe when there's a bit more noise (aka, not when someone's praying).

I'm using my friend's PZ-1 and have to say it's really growing on me. Definitely having fun with it I may spring for a used PZ1p just so I can get something a bit newer and the extra features. That being said, seems like a great match for DA lenses (that are FF compatible). Just gotta find a focusing screen for it... if I can.

I've been testing it on the street and in quieter situations. It's not whisper quiet by a long shot but it's not bad. Just sounds loud and screechy in very quiet rooms and since it's mashed up to my face.
02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey folks, just how much quieter is the MZ-S compared to the PZ-1p?
I'm talking in terms of shutter clack, film advance and rewind.

I've found the pz1p to be louder than my mz5 in terms of the shutter clack, but about the same for film advance and rewind. Does that sound pretty similar to the mz-s?
02-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PZ1 has one big problem (dunno about the -p version): is that it is a VERY VERY power hungry cam.
No use in a cabinet for two years but a bit of play here and there and the 2CR5 is dead.. ouch !
And there's no adapter for AA batteries but an unofficial one was made to order years ago
02-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
PZ1 has one big problem (dunno about the -p version): is that it is a VERY VERY power hungry cam.
No use in a cabinet for two years but a bit of play here and there and the 2CR5 is dead.. ouch !
And there's no adapter for AA batteries but an unofficial one was made to order years ago
At the end of the day after I use the PZ1-p I flip the 2CR5 and the problem is solved.

I wouldn't expect any "modern" camera to keep the battery working after two years in the cabinet.
02-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
At the end of the day after I use the PZ1-p I flip the 2CR5 and the problem is solved.
Mmm why did I never thought about that rather than moaning about it?
I shall do that...