Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Pentax Slide Copier

It is possible to copy slides with a Pentax DSLR and a Pentax Slide Copier. I have gerryrigged at setup like this one:
Setup to "scan" negative film and slide
and use an AF540FGZ at about 1/32 power in M-mode as a light source connected to the camera hotshoe with Pentax cable. White balance is then perfect every time.
I also use a remote cable to trigger the shutter. When copying negative film, I use a Seagull ref converter to position the negative frame correctly in the slide copier. This setup is very much faster than using a scanner, and the results are better than the ones I get on my CanoScan 9000f flatbed scanner.

I use the Pentax-M Macro 50mm F4.0 stopped down to around F11.0 and a 20 mm extension ring. With the slide copier at full extension relative to the macro lens, I get the full slide or negative plus a border around it.

Incidentally, I don't have the original Asahi Pentax extension rings, but auto extension rings K from Vivitar. One odd thing about those: the bayonet flange on the Vivitar rings is anodized black. In order to get focus confirmation and also to close the aperture in M-mode, you have to put some aluminum foil on part of the flange to shorten the pins on the camera mount (the way a normal Pentax-K bayonet ring would have). If not, you will only get F4.0 - the lens does not stop down.

Anyway, I get fine results both with colour slides and negative B/W film. No problem with corner sharpness with the macro lens. Here is one example of a Kodachrome 64 slide from 1978 - of the (conventional) submarine I was then serving on in Northern Norway:

I would like to use the Auto Bellows-M, which I also have, but I lack the coupler that is necessary to mount the slide copier at the end of the bellows rail. I will try eBay.

Last edited by LaHo; 03-21-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling
03-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The calculations I used to determine how to set up the Pentax M bellows for aps-c , along with the adapted 50mm enlarger lens.

The rear adaptor is a bush with Leica M threads made on the lathe and inserted into a K mount from a dead lens. The other end is an acetyl bush that is a press fit on the nose of the lens and sized for the bellows clamp ring.

I am not using this 35mm copier very often now because the 6x7 negs can be acceptably scanned on the flatbed scanner - much easier for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
04-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of these too... I picked it up when I got my 35mm KX, back in the eighties...

The person who sold me my equipment was asking for $150.00 for the KX, four SMC lenses (24, 50, 100 and a 35-70 zoom) a couple of flashes and the bellowes/slide copier...
The Bellows came with two scales (one for 50mm and the other for 55mm) and are reversable...

When I fitted the bellows to my K2000, I was having fits trying to find the right focal length to match the format of the smaller sensor... But, I finally settled back on the 50mm at full frame of the slide...

The results were pretty good, but not like the orginal image... But still not bad...

One word of advice... Invest in a LOT of film cleaners because when you copy a slide you are taking an extreme macro of the emulsion of the film and anything that may be on it... (dust, hair, fibers from a cloth, etc.)

Here is a picture I took in 1984 with my 35mm KX on KodaChrome ASA 100 film... (As I recall, it was a 1/2 second exposure at F-8 using a 50mm SMC lens... (the same one I used to copy this slide...)

Post processing to remove dust and specks took me nearly an hour... What a mess!!!

[Edit:] Here is my rig once it is set up for duplicating slides... Notice the distance of the camera to the main objective and the distance from the lens to the slide...

Oh, yeah, I found the best and most consistant lighting source is an overcast sky... I pointed the bellows toward the sky and just started clicking away...

Last edited by bobphoenix; 04-20-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added photo content.
04-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

See also

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/170530...er-k-dslr.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/194739...m-f-2-8-a.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-20-2014 at 09:15 AM.
04-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sweet, that is the best version
04-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I guess the parts lists would help:

Basically the problem is with the APS-C sensor crop factor you cannot get a full frame image with ~50mm lenses. The rod for the slide copier and the bellows (on the copier) are not long enough so that you can adjust the magnification to get a full frame copy. You could replace the rod with a longer one and improvise some sort of tube between the lens and the slide copier to extend the bellows. And/Or use a longer focal length lens (the longer the lens the less magnifications - others have calculated ~75mm for the Auto Bellows).

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-21-2014 at 06:04 AM.
04-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually the problem is getting 60% with the 50mm lens, which can be done with almost no bellows (fully closed) but wuth some tweaking it worked fine (I ended using a 55 mm Fujinon)
The slide copier can't cope with 75mm lenses as the bellows is not long enough.
05-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has been a few weeks since last activity, but if anyone is following this thread, here is how to use the several Pentax bellows units from film cameras on a APS-C digital camera to digitize film slides and negatives-
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/170530...er-k-dslr.html

The only significant update is I did invest in a Pentax F35-70 zoom and sold the Promaster 28-70. Also, understand that you will be doing manual focus, manual aperture and stop down metering or manual flash (unless you also fool your camera into thinking your bellows is an A-series lens. Then you can use wireless P-TTL flash. Those instructions are in another thread.).

07-23-2015, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #24

Photos: Albums
Pentax Slide Copier and SMC-K 50mm macro lens

My current setup:

07-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice!
Which lens is that?