Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Soptmatic II Mirror freezing in up position (-4F shooting)

Hi Folks,

I did some shooting this morning over the St Laurance at Montreal. It was - 20 C (-4F). Had to shoot blind the whole time as my mirror would not come down. I was in bulb mode the while time (30s to 5 minute shots). When I got home I shot a normal timed (1/500) shot and the mirror returned perfectly, shot a bulb shot and it also returned perfectly.

I am guessing the mirror release mechanism froze.

Anyone else had this problem?

Regards

Brett

01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freezing weather ==> frozen camera

Sounds to me like everything was working according to spec.

Steve
01-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, for the Pentax S3 (about 1960) Pentax optimistically said that temperatures below -55F could affect the shutter operation. By the time of the MX (as a "pro" model) they backed off to say it worked down to -20C. Of course, they were looking at new cameras with fresh lubricants, etc. It was common back in those years to have cameras "winterized" for cold excursions, where they sometimes used graphite or molydisulfide dry lubricants for cold weather.
If you don't know when the camera had a good service, you might want to try Eric or another good tech for a CLA if you plan on continued extreme conditions.
I used to use my new H1a out in below zero F temperatures during winters in Upper Michigan back in the '60s, and never had a problem (except condensation on coming indoors).
01-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
bmf

Original Poster
Extreme weather.

That's not extreme, we get it all the time these days ;-)

Regards

Brett.