Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FrankenSpottie?

I was just doing a little Spotmatic research today and now I am somewhat puzzled. I always thought my Spotmatic (pictured below) was a late version based on the part number (23102 stamped on bottom plate). It also has the late meter switch and counter cover and top plate. Slam dunk, eh? Well today I noticed that the serial number (1232668) is in the range of the early version (10nn800 - 2016000). I also noticed that there is no film roller on the film door*. I might imagine someone swapping the back or bottom plate out, but the serial number is stamped into the new style top plate. Is the serial number range in the PF listing wrong or do I have one strange camera?

Steve

* Table at http://whitemetal.com/pentax/spotmatic_family_traits.htm

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2014 at 07:52 PM.
01-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Steve, that seems like a strange combination. The serial number is an early one and the film door without the roller is another indication of an early model. But the model number on the bottom plate indicates a later model. Bottom plates are easily interchanged. I had an early model (serial 2940863) with no film roller but it has been sold.
My only remaining SP has serial number 4353417 and it does have a film roller but it does not have the model number on the bottom plate. The top and bottom plates are original but at its last major service the whole body between the plates was replaced. My serviceman said that was the cheapest way to fix everything! I did not argue.

Re your camera, it would appear that all parts are not original - some old, some new. And that makes it difficult to be specific.

Last edited by rayallen; 01-27-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Typo
01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Bottom plates were sold as spare parts, and were often changed if the battery compartment corroded too much, or to remove a previous owner's engraving. I've changed out a couple myself.
01-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 on what Tom says.

Meanwhile, that's some mighty nice red lizard on the spottie

01-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, it sure is.
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Based on the switch and counter cover and screw placement on the top plate, I believe that my camera may be a early-production late model with a left-over film door fitted. I also believe that the serial number range indicated on this site is probably not valid. In addition to my camera (new style top plate inscribed with early serial number), the second version of the Spotmatic manual shows a similar low serial number camera in most of its illustrations having the signature characteristics of the later model body.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/honeywell_spotmatic_36_s.pdf
password: Pentax

Does anyone know the source for the serial number range quoted on this site? I was unable to find anything in my research.

Steve
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
+1 on what Tom says.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Yes, it sure is.
Aki Asahi!!!

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/sp/index.php

Deep Red Lizard Emboss (Cowhide) available by special request at no extra cost.

Steve
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Aki Asahi!!!

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/sp/index.php

Deep Red Lizard Emboss (Cowhide) available by special request at no extra cost.

Steve
Yes - I bought a few early Leica and Pentax (SV) sets from them, and they threw in (bonus?) one set of wild lizard for an SV. I still haven't had the courage to try it...