Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My film tore - possible problems in camera?

I finally finished up my first roll of film in my SP500. It was expired Kodak 100 Tmax. The expiration date was Nov 2009.

There was a time after 4 shots when the camera started making a disgusting clacking noise when I would advance the film. At shot #6 I opened and closed the camera back in a photo bag in my closet with the lights off. It was fine after that. No clacking noise. I must have reseated something but I didn't touch the film.

How could the film skip off the teeth of the take up system?

Rewinding the film was met with some resistance. It was stiff but doable. At some point I heard a snap. I had no idea at the time if this was the film snapping or something breaking in the camera. The rewind lever suddenly became very easy to turn. I thought something broke in the camera.

I put the camera back into the photo bag, opened it up, and ran my finger along the film canister. Nothing was protruding so I figured that all the film was wound back into the canister. When I opened up the photo bag and took my camera out I saw that there was a section of film still on the take up spool! It was tightly wound against the spool and it only got as far as the toothed advance spool.

Thankfully it's only the first few frames but it's sad because I thought I had some very nice shots of my kids in those frames!

Looking closer at the fragment of film I see that the sprocket holes in the film are damaged. I hope the pictures come out clear enough.

Any ideas? Comments? Messages of hope?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Rewinding the film was met with some resistance. It was stiff but doable. At some point I heard a snap.
Did you push the button on the bottom of the camera to release the wind mechanism before attempting to rewind?

Steve
02-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you push the button on the bottom of the camera to release the wind mechanism before attempting to rewind?

Steve

Oh, yes!
02-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve
That mechanism might be locking up for some reason, you could test it a few times without film to if it reliably does what it's supposed to.

02-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had that happen once. From what I remember, I had the film canister in slightly cockeyed and it was jammed and wouldn't unspool.
02-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

That looks like the sort of damage one would get if the take up spool with exposed film wrapped around it got in a bind.
02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Sounds like two different issues. As for the breaking on rewind, that button is designed to stay in once pushed but doesn't always. Best to monitor it with the left pinky finger while rewinding. The problem on frame four could be a number of things. It is well worth having a roll of no-good film to watch the process with the back open. SP500 has a roller built into the door to keep the film pressed against the sproket, but the earlier ones didn't and worked fine without it.