Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
What does the film duplicator offer over something like this:

A DIY Rig for Scanning Hundreds of Slides In a Hurry | Popular Photography

They feel essentially the same in concept. Granted, I haven't searched for pre-existing solutions on the market from other companies.
That's pretty slick.

Relative to 35mm slide duplicator bellows set ups, this new thing is huge - but then it is designed to handle 120 film. 120 film slide projectors I don't think are cheap, plus they do 6x6... I'd say a light table or other light diffusor, and a way to hold the camera steady and parallel would do the trick, like a stand of some sort. A copy stand they used to call it....

Film scanning, unfortunately, seems to be a contest between convenience, quality, speed, and pain. But then we might agree that film itself is a combination of the 4

02-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter

It's not DIY? Some people aren't particularly handy nor inclined toward DIY projects.
02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It's not DIY? Some people aren't particularly handy nor inclined toward DIY projects.
I envy those who are able to create ingenious and often dirt cheap diy solutions for things. But wish and try as I might, I am not one of those people! So I for one will really appreciate a custom Pentax product--especially if, as some speculate, it includes software for getting good color from color negative film!
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Granted, I haven't searched for pre-existing solutions on the market from other companies.
There are commercial projector-based solutions, though they are $$$

Steve

02-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I think price point will be a significant factor in the success or demise of this product.