Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beatles in Paris 50 years ago

An interesting article about Mick Jones, who'd later be part of Foreigner, who was in the Beatles' opening act.

But that's not why: This pic, can anyone id the cameras and lenses (The Fab Four was into Pentax)

Foreigner's Mick Jones Reminisces About Opening for the Beatles ? 50 Years Ago | Yahoo Music - Yahoo Music

OOH a color pic

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

Ricoh should use these in their Pentax ads...

Last edited by Nesster; 02-07-2014 at 07:58 AM.
02-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good eye, nice catch! Where has all this glory gone to! And i agree, Pentax/Ricoh should definitely use this in ads. "A long tradition.. to bring the best today!" And it shows an SLR that turns into a modern DSLR! Would be much cooler than those "I am Nikon" ads
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well in a couple of the pics i can see that there is no model ID on the camera. It is Also Asahi and not honeywell. which is confusing me a bit. I'm going to say that a couple of them at least were possibly a spotmatic or Asahi Pentax H1 early

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We Pentaxians know this fact...Ricoh doesn't care too much.
Ricoh is too concerned with burying the Pentax heritage and getting Pentaxians to love Ricoh.
Thanks for the reminder!

02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
It is Also Asahi and not honeywell. which is confusing me a bit.
That might be because Honeywell was the N. America importer*. For most of the rest of the world, the cameras were branded Asahi. The Beatles being British, the Asahi branding only makes sense.

Steve

* The cameras were initially branded Heiland (a Honeywell subsidiary) and later Honeywell.
02-07-2014, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
But that's not why: This pic, can anyone id the cameras and lenses
Good chance those are all black SV's with Super Tak 55mm's. There is a Hard Rock Cafe (in Baltimore?) that has on display "John Lenon's all black Pentax SV". Google search will turn up photos of that camera. I've read somewhere around here that Ringo dropped a black SV into the drink during filming of "HELP!" (might even be in the movie?).

I refer to my black SV as "The Beatles Camera" because of the intertwined history of the Beatles and their SV's.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moe49; 02-07-2014 at 07:30 PM.
02-08-2014, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

A few stills from the movie Help!
Attached Images

02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Super photos everyone... there's no issue remembering the salad days fondly, when we was hip and all you needed was love and a screw (mount) ....

02-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That might be because Honeywell was the N. America importer*. For most of the rest of the world, the cameras were branded Asahi. The Beatles being British, the Asahi branding only makes sense.

Steve

* The cameras were initially branded Heiland (a Honeywell subsidiary) and later Honeywell.
In addition, I suspect they bought some Pentax gear while in Japan on tour. At least the number of shots with them featuring Pentax cameras go straight upward after that. Of coruse, theose bodies would have been labeled Asahi as on most of the planet.
02-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The "best" ID that one could make of is the exact serial number of the lenses used.. LoL!
Can you imagine that you might be shooting a potentially million dollar nifty-fifty?