Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #16

I dunno I still have a soft spot for my 2 Asahi K1000 SE's and will probably never get rid of them. And for many of us k1000 owners I bet thats true.

I still think it is the prefect student camera as it forces them to shoot completely manual, and is such a tank of a body they wont break it when they drop it. That being said, I wouldn't spend 200 on one either.

04-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmonroe6 Quote
Howdy!

I'm sorry that this is similar to some other posts about "which camera to buy" but...

I'm looking for a film camera for a young teenage girl wanting to learn about photography. I'm leaning towards a K2 SE, because of the focusing screen, or an MX because of the viewfinder size and the robustness of the camera.

I myself have a K10d and a couple of FA and M lenses. I want something that can stand up to the abuse/neglect of a teenager, teach her about the relationship between and functions of aperture and shutter speed, has some form of match-needle metering and maybe shows the aperture in the viewfinder. I myself learned on a ME-Super but I think I'd like something a little more simple and stout.

Thoughts?

Thx
Ken
I would look into your local craigslist . There are always some good deals around . Or try the Market here . Young people change their mind so often so I would try to keep it cheap . You can get K1000 for less than 100 USD .
04-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Since I don't think any digital has a match needle exposure system it sounds like you are looking for an inexpensive K-mount film camera. Here are a few suggestions that might be found for under $50 shipped on ebay (usually with lenses):

Chinon: CG-5 (AW), CM-4, CM-5
Ricoh: XR-1 (AW), XR-2 (AW), KR-5 Super, KR-5 III,KR-5 Super II, XR-10 (AW), KR-10
Sears: KS-1000 (AW, same as XR-1), KSX

AW= Window

My favorites from the list is the XR-1 and CG-5 since they both have DOF preview levers and flip up the mirror at the start of the self-timer. The XR is completely mechanical and only uses battery power for the meter. I currently have an XR-1 and use it with a K/M42 adapter for my M42 lenses.
A couple of comments

All Pentax DSLRs have matched needle metering, when you use them in manual, with automatic apature lenses, and manual lenses by using the DOF prevview.

You forgot the XR-2s which will do full manual and also apature priority auto exposure, it differes from the XR-2 by accepting a motor winder at 2 FPS

Also as noted earlier the KX has matched needle metering, in fact it is identical to the XR-2s except for the color of the shutter speed indicator.
04-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
A couple of comments

All Pentax DSLRs have matched needle metering, when you use them in manual, with automatic apature lenses, and manual lenses by using the DOF prevview.

You forgot the XR-2s which will do full manual and also apature priority auto exposure, it differes from the XR-2 by accepting a motor winder at 2 FPS

Also as noted earlier the KX has matched needle metering, in fact it is identical to the XR-2s except for the color of the shutter speed indicator.
I was limiting myself to cameras that tend to go cheap and that I have actually used or at least held and observed. The KX tends to bring a premium, and so does the XR-2s to a lesser extent, over the others listed. And by comparison to any of these film cameras, the DSLR's would hardly be called cheap. Plus, I have never used any of the DSLRs.

04-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I was limiting myself to cameras that tend to go cheap and that I have actually used or at least held and observed. The KX tends to bring a premium, and so does the XR-2s to a lesser extent, over the others listed. And by comparison to any of these film cameras, the DSLR's would hardly be called cheap. Plus, I have never used any of the DSLRs.
Hi,
If your daughter is taking a class ask the instructor what type is preferred. If a manual film camera is recommended I’d go with a K1000 or Richo. Lenses and accessories are plentiful and inexpensive. If anything should happen to the camera your not out a whole lot. There is always a birthday or graduation time for the MX or LX and all the accessories you have will fit right into the kit.
04-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K100 is one of "the" few standard classroom cameras. Solid as a rock. Classes still teach "film" and darkroom processing. Buy it used and sell it later for about the same price. I bought a body in 1997 for $99.00 and sold is last week for $138; not bat for used gear
05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I suggest the Pentax KM. Very similar to the K1000, probably with many parts in common, but has depth-of-field preview, a very useful function particularly for beginners. It's often to be found cheaper than the K1000 as it does not have cult status. The meter is less sensitive than the KX but reputed to be more robust and easier to find parts for repair.