Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Spotmatic model line up

I have been looking more and more into the history of the Spotmatic and I see that there were several models. Here is the complete list of models that I seem to have run across in my web searched.

Spotmatic
Spotmatic SP
SP500
SP1000
Spotmatic II
Spotmatic IIa
ES
ES II
Spotmatic F

Did I miss a model?

02-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Motor Drive?
02-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is a complete list of Pentax screw-mount bodies:

Screwmount

Phil.
02-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have been looking more and more into the history of the Spotmatic and I see that there were several models. Here is the complete list of models that I seem to have run across in my web searched.

Spotmatic
Spotmatic SP
SP500
SP1000
Spotmatic II
Spotmatic IIa
ES
ES II
Spotmatic F

Did I miss a model?
They're all listed here:
Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

There's also a handful rare models under the "other" entry.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

Spotmatic
Spotmatic SP
SP500
SP1000
Spotmatic II
Spotmatic IIa
ES
ES II
Spotmatic F

Did I miss a model?

Your list is only missing the SL.
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Your list is only missing the SL.

Technically, the SL was not a Spotmatic. It does not say Spotmatic anywhere on the camera or the box. However, it was, in fact a Spotmatic without the meter. There was a clip-on meter available for the SL, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. It was NOT the same as the clip-on for the H1, H1a, H3, H3v cameras.

Also, AFAIK, the Spotmatic and the Spotmatic SP were the same camera. The US version, imported by Honeywell, did not have the SP designation engraved on the top plate. The Asahi version, sold in the rest of the world, did have the SP on top. The cameras were otherwise identical and were produced simultaneously. I have one of each.

Likewise the Spotmatic IIa was a US-only version that had an on-camera flash sensor that worked with certain Rollei-made Strobonar flashes, which were also imported by Honeywell. If you ever find an Asahi Spotmatic IIa, that would be news.

There was also a model called the "Electro-Spotmatic" which I believe was only sold in Japan. Reports are that it's electronics were problematic and it was quickly replaced by the ES, which was sold world-wide.

There were, of course, the black models. I don't know if all models were available in black or not.

Paul Noble
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Technically, the SL was not a Spotmatic. It does not say Spotmatic anywhere on the camera or the box. However, it was, in fact a Spotmatic without the meter. There was a clip-on meter available for the SL, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. It was NOT the same as the clip-on for the H1, H1a, H3, H3v cameras.

Paul Noble

So, technically it was a Spotmatic.
02-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great replies and info from everyone! Thanks!

02-12-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
So, technically it was a Spotmatic.
Yep an unmetered Spotty.

Phil.