Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Asahiflex H2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey

Are there anyone who knows about the number of cameras that were produced and marked as Ashiflex and sold in South Africa? I also found an ad that states it was named Asahiflex also in Finland.

thanks!

02-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Axahiflex was Asahi Optical's single lens reflex preceding the Pentax. It had a waist level viewfinder. The name was world wide. In 1957 they put a Pentaprism on it, enlarged the mount to M42-1 and called it the Pentax.
02-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The name was world wide.
except the US where it was sold by Sears under the Tower brand name.
02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I believe Baard is asking about this type of Asahiflex ( from a recent eBay sale ):

Asahiflex H2 H 2 Asahi Pentax S2 55 2 Takumar RARE for South African Market | eBay

I saw this ad and someone else was quicker than I to hit the button!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 

Last edited by Moe49; 11-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.
02-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
No, I believe Baard is asking about this type of Asahiflex ( from a recent eBay sale ):

Asahiflex H2 H 2 Asahi Pentax S2 55 2 Takumar RARE for South African Market | eBay

I saw this and someone was quicker than me to hit the button!
The Contax trademark was still recognized by South Africa, so no Pentax for Asahi there...
02-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Boriscleto - I did not know that one. Definitely a pentaprism on that one. Thanks.
02-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Contax trademark was still recognized by South Africa, so no Pentax for Asahi there...

According to Screwmount, Pentax was registered by Pentacon in South Africa so Pentax used Asahiflex or Pentar (not Pentax). Pictures in there too.

I have no idea about the numbers though.

Last edited by LesDMess; 02-15-2014 at 11:36 AM.
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote

I saw this ad and someone else was quicker than me to hit the button!
Well, It might have been I who got that one.... There was one up for auction last week as well, that one went for more than 500USD.
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the ad where it states that Asahi Pentax H2 (mainly in Europe) (or even Asahi Pentax S2 (Japan, Europe), as well as Heiland Pentax H2 (US market)) was branded Asahiflex H2 in south Africa, Finland and some other markets.

Does anyone have any other documentation about this?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LT25i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LT25i  Photo 
02-15-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
According to Screwmount, Pentax was registered by Pentacon in South Africa so Pentax used Asahiflex or Pentar (not Pentax). Pictures in there too.

I have no idea about the numbers though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Here is the ad where it states that Asahi Pentax H2 (mainly in Europe) (or even Asahi Pentax S2 (Japan, Europe), as well as Heiland Pentax H2 (US market)) was branded Asahiflex H2 in south Africa, Finland and some other markets.

Does anyone have any other documentation about this?
Asahi acquired the Pentax trademark in 1957, two years before Pentacon was formed. At the end of WWII all German trademarks and patents were voided by the Allies. But some countries, like South Africa and Finland, continued to recognize them. Pentacon was formed from the merger of several Dresden camera manufacturers, including VEB Kamerawerke Freital which had originally been Contax Zeiss Ikon Kamerawerke of Dresden.
02-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Asahi acquired the Pentax trademark in 1957, two years before Pentacon was formed. At the end of WWII all German trademarks and patents were voided by the Allies. But some countries, like South Africa and Finland, continued to recognize them. Pentacon was formed from the merger of several Dresden camera manufacturers, including VEB Kamerawerke Freital which had originally been Contax Zeiss Ikon Kamerawerke of Dresden.
Thanks, that was useful information
05-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This came up on ebay and was sold for a nice price, AU $870

Note the text on the prism Penta Asahiflex

Never seen this before. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Attached Images

05-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

They had to use Asahiflex in some countries early on due to a claim on the name Pentax by a German company (I forget which. That's why South African bodies, for instance, are called Pentars.

I would assume this to be a fairly rare bird.
05-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
They had to use Asahiflex in some countries early on due to a claim on the name Pentax by a German company (I forget which. That's why South African bodies, for instance, are called Pentars.

I would assume this to be a fairly rare bird.
The model called S or K was sold as Pentar in South Africa. The model S2 was sold as Asahiflex in South Africa and some other markets. This was due to the fact that Pentax was already a registered trademark of Pentacon of East Germany.

But a camera marked Penta Asahiflex is really rare. I found one sold at Christies auction i 1998(!) for USD948 (!!!). And then this one that I posted about yesterday that came for sale at ebay that also was sold for a high price.

There is a Asahiflex H2 for sale now on eBay, without the Word Penta.