Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
KX viewfinder problem

Hi all. I got my hands on a lovely KX body recently. Everything seems to be in order, except for the viewfinder. The view through it appears tilted and I cannot read the aperture either. What do you think the problem might be? A prism misalignment or something?

Unfortunately it is not feasible for me to send it to Eric or any other person for that matter because of my remote location (I'm in India, away from all the big cities). There are no good camera technicians around here either. I can handle basic repairs myself, but want to make sure it is indeed a small problem before I open it up. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Would love to get this working. Thanks in advance

02-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by pai Quote
A prism misalignment or something?
The glass prism is held in place by a few small components. There are two wire like springs with hooks and a strap of metal that is a saddle for the hooks. The prism rests in a recess that is above the mirror box/cage and it holds down a screen/fresnel and frame. Around the prism is a ring of foam that seals against light leaks. It is possible that if your KX was tinkered with, that the re-foaming of the prism was not performed or if an incorrect prism was installed?
02-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
pai

Original Poster
Thanks MysteryOnion. Maybe I'll open it up and take a look during the weekend. There seems to be some dust in the viewfinder as well.