Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
A couple months past expiration date won't make any difference.
With expired film, how it was kept is very important.
I have some original Velvia RVP from 1992 that was stored in a freezer since new, and it works perfectly.
If film gets too hot for too long, it will fog, and the colors will shift. I have some Kodacolor 100 from the late 80s that was poorly stored. I dubbed it "Purple Haze" and shoot it at ISO 50.
That's what I'm talking about! Every time I look through a folder of images from film, I'm reminded why I don't want to sell my film cameras. All of the film I have has been stored in the fridge. I need to order some color film, just to get the camera out, shoot, and have some film developed.

02-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
So the people who are posting images here from slide film...are they likely getting scans from the lab, using some sort of specialty scanner, or using a digital camera to get the digital images?
I do not get scans of my 35mm slides at the time of processing, I just scan (Pacific PrimeFilm 7250u)the ones myself that I post online. For 120 I get lab scans, as my scanner only does 35mm.

Phil.
02-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I buy from Freestyle (freestylephoto.biz). They have a good lineup of less-expensive film consisting of house brands and European films. They also have the full Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford lines.
Be aware that much of the film Freestyle sells is past the expiration date. This is normally noted on the catalog listings and they will tell you that if you buy it in person from their brick and mortar store. I've been buying film and darkroom supplies from them since the 70's.

They cold store their film so this should not be a big problem. I can personally vouch for this as many of my purchases were cold coming fresh out of the fridge.
02-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I do not get scans of my 35mm slides at the time of processing, I just scan (Pacific PrimeFilm 7250u)the ones myself that I post online. For 120 I get lab scans, as my scanner only does 35mm.

Phil.
I don't have any slide gear...I'm guessing you use a projector or viewer of some sort to decide which are worth the effort of scanning? Do you make any adjustments with Lightroom or the like? I saw a video on YouTube of someone using a DSLR to digitize slides and he mentioned he someone's brackets multiple frame did the same slide to create a type of HDR.

02-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is your source for film?
Amazon.
I buy SACDs, DVD-Audio disks and other stuff from Amazon. To get my order totals up over $35 for the free shipping, I will add one or two rolls of film*. For developing & scans I send my film to Dwaynes Photo** in Kansas.

* my current fav Ektar 100
** similar in price to Costco, but reliably higher quality work received

Last edited by Moe49; 03-04-2014 at 08:30 AM.
02-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any slide gear...I'm guessing you use a projector or viewer of some sort to decide which are worth the effort of scanning? Do you make any adjustments with Lightroom or the like? I saw a video on YouTube of someone using a DSLR to digitize slides and he mentioned he someone's brackets multiple frame did the same slide to create a type of HDR.
For my 35mm slides I either view them on a light table with a photo lupe or project them with my Kodak slide projector. I don’t scan my 35mm slides, unless I post them on this forum.
For 120 slides I can only view them on a light table, those I do have scanned by the lab at the time of processing.

Phil.
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The only thing I can buy local is the walmart stuff, and they have been clearing out their kodak. I bought enough cheap stuff to last me a year.

For the good stuff I use B&H as they seem to have the best prices. I also develop my own so I can combine shipping all the time.

My biggest problem now is I have more color film than c-41 press kits to develop it :-) Need to balance that out. Time for some more ektar!

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 12:56 PM ----------

($1ish per roll now)
Purchase FujiFilm ISO 200 35mm Color Film at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. (while they last)

Last edited by Jamey777; 02-25-2014 at 10:58 AM.
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Called the only local camera shop, happens to be next to a college of art and design, my only hope for local processing of slide film and they don't do it in house. It's $12/roll and sent out. Didn't bother asking what the turnaround time was at that point.
02-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have several options in the area for processing C-41, but haven't ever looked into E-6 or slide film. As far as I know, no one within 70 miles does B&W. That and the cost of it are why want to do my own eventually. There's only one shop I know of in the Lancaster, Pa area that carries anything more than the consumer stuff you at pharmacies, grocery stores, and Walmarts. Same shop that did some developing for me, but their prices are usually pretty awful. They're the only place I could find that carried Pentax when I bought my K-5 in 2012, but they wanted more than MSRP and more than $400 what the online vendors were charging. A couple bucks on film is different, but the principle of charging 25-50% more than online stores is probably why a lot of these places are disappearing.
Thats where I am lucky. He sells for around the same price I find online.Pro and consumer grade. He processes both C-6 and C-41. Walgreens only does C-41.
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Called the only local camera shop, happens to be next to a college of art and design, my only hope for local processing of slide film and they don't do it in house. It's $12/roll and sent out. Didn't bother asking what the turnaround time was at that point.
I have to send all my E6 out.
$9.50/roll, and 1-3 week turnaround
But it's worth it.
02-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to send all my E6 out.
$9.50/roll, and 1-3 week turnaround
But it's worth it.

Colton, what's your workflow like for scanning? Do you get your slides mounted or leave them as transparencies? I suppose you're fairly disciplined about tripping the shutter when each frame runs up to $1/frame. Maybe I should start a fledgling photography business to take advantage of the tax code.
02-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Colton, what's your workflow like for scanning? Do you get your slides mounted or leave them as transparencies? I suppose you're fairly disciplined about tripping the shutter when each frame runs up to $1/frame. Maybe I should start a fledgling photography business to take advantage of the tax code.
I typically get my E6 developed only, unmounted and uncut. Mounting costs $1 extra. If you're not shooting lots, it might be worth getting your slides mounted because it has the benefit of making the film nearly perfectly flat, which makes for better scans.
I pretty much scan (2400 dpi) every single frame I shoot, E6, C-41, and B&W.
02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I typically get my E6 developed only, unmounted and uncut. Mounting costs $1 extra. If you're not shooting lots, it might be worth getting your slides mounted because it has the benefit of making the film nearly perfectly flat, which makes for better scans.
I pretty much scan (2400 dpi) every single frame I shoot, E6, C-41, and B&W.

Do you print much? The downside of digital for me, and maybe I just need to drag myself somewhere to get more stuff printed, but I'm trying to get away from taking pictures and then burying them on a hard drive. I think it was Ed at PhotoUniverse that suggested getting 20 prints each month of your favorite shots from that month. I have really enjoyed the time I've spent with the LX, ME Super, and KM and I want to shoot more with them. That's the ultimate goal. Doesn't have to be slide film, but my thoughts are that if I'm going to spend the money on the film and processes and the time to make those frames count because it's not free like digital after buying the gear, I'd like to have good enough image quality to do decent sized prints for around the house.
02-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Blue Moon does my C41 processing.
Jeez, I can't believe I overlooked them to process some color film I've had laying around forever. Thanks!

Ron S.
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Do you print much? The downside of digital for me, and maybe I just need to drag myself somewhere to get more stuff printed, but I'm trying to get away from taking pictures and then burying them on a hard drive. I think it was Ed at PhotoUniverse that suggested getting 20 prints each month of your favorite shots from that month. I have really enjoyed the time I've spent with the LX, ME Super, and KM and I want to shoot more with them. That's the ultimate goal. Doesn't have to be slide film, but my thoughts are that if I'm going to spend the money on the film and processes and the time to make those frames count because it's not free like digital after buying the gear, I'd like to have good enough image quality to do decent sized prints for around the house.
I try to print a lot of my photos.
If I have a photo that I like, I'll print it 7.5" wide on an 8.5x11 sheet of Epson matte, and then keep it in portfolio books. So far, I have four 50 sheet books nearly full, but I'm way behind.