Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Decrippling

Probably a dumb question, but what causes a body to have a crippled mount? Is it the mount itself or mount/camera combination? Just curious...

JJ

03-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe it's the mount/camera combination. A crippled mount is missing the little finger that reads the mechanical aperture information from the lens when it's *not* in "A" mode. Forcing the camera to use stop down metering. An uncrippled mount can read the position of the aperture for non "A" lenses, and the camera can meter accordingly.

If I'm wrong (it happens occasionally) I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. :-)
03-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So changing mounts accomplishes nothing?
03-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope, the camera is still missing the stuff to actually read the aperture position.

-from Wikipedia:
The MZ-30/ZX-30, MZ-50/ZX-50, MZ-60/ZX-60, the *ist series and the K100D/K110D lack the mechanical stop-down coupler/indicator. In these cameras – in aperture priority mode – the aperture is set by a dial on the camera body, and no longer on the lens. Pre-A lenses can only be used in manual stop down metering mode and manual flash mode.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K-mount

03-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the K-mount.
03-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the K-mount.

Lol like I wasn't overloaded as it was I am from WV ya know...
03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Lol like I wasn't overloaded as it was I am from WV ya know...
Well the advice given this morning by our Weather Dudes is . . . . . Hibernate. They've even canceled Church Services, which I cannot recall EVER happening before. I'm sure my spouse can find some low-priority thing indoors for me to do.

Predicting 8" combination of sleet, freezing rain and then snow before Rush Hour tomorrow. Looks like I'll be working from the laptop again.
03-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm currently in Missouri and the ice storm comeith

03-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

the ice storm comeith
Wasn't that a play we read in High School?
03-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably but I have pics with my FA43 ltd that are amazing...
03-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the advice given this morning by our Weather Dudes is . . . . . Hibernate. They've even canceled Church Services, which I cannot recall EVER happening before. I'm sure my spouse can find some low-priority thing indoors for me to do.

Predicting 8" combination of sleet, freezing rain and then snow before Rush Hour tomorrow. Looks like I'll be working from the laptop again.
Sleet, freezing rain and snow on top? And last night I was bitching that is was -22 (about -8 F) and had to warm the truck up for 5 minutes so the defrosters would let me see. I empathize with you. I was born and raised on the South Western Coast of Canada, and freezing rain (we called it "silver thaw") meant you couldn't even walk on the roads. It was impossible to stand up without golf shoes on.
03-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sleet, freezing rain and snow on top? And last night I was bitching that is was -22 (about -8 F) and had to warm the truck up for 5 minutes so the defrosters would let me see. I empathize with you. I was born and raised on the South Western Coast of Canada, and freezing rain (we called it "silver thaw") meant you couldn't even walk on the roads. It was impossible to stand up without golf shoes on.
Yep. And there isn't a bag of rock salt within 100 miles (unless you know to go the the water softener section. Costs a couple dollars more for an 80lb. bag but it's the same thing.)
03-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

I'm currently in Missouri and the ice storm cometh
I should be rolling through there tomorrow. Good times ahead I see.

It was 73 in Blacksburg, South Carolina today.

And last night I was bitching that is was -22 (about -8 F) and had to warm the truck up for 5 minutes so the defrosters would let me see.
I think I'm gonna start using C when it is colder than freezing, and F when it is above. That way it will sound like it is colder/hotter than it might be.

Oh, and with the weather that is supposed to be coming, a lot of mounts will be crippled.
03-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I think I'm gonna start using C when it is colder than freezing, and F when it is above. That way it will sound like it is colder/hotter than it might be.
Unfortunately for some of us, it doesn't make any difference at -40 C also known as 40 below F. You will have to reverse things again below that temperature. We are fortunate up here in the last few years, we haven't hit that yet. When I moved up here we had over a week at 40 below and below. Kind of a shock to the sytem when you move up from the West Coast where 5 above F is really, really cold.
03-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #15

Unfortunately for some of us, it doesn't make any difference at -40 C also known as 40 below F.
Interesting.

I was never good at math and conversions, but it sticks in my pea head that there is some sort of relationship in numbers of varying scales.

Oh yeah, and I was at Winnipeg a week before Christmas 5 years ago when the temp with the wind chill factor was -40 F. Talk about bitter cold.

Oh, and now that I think about it, when temps are warmer I should use the Kelvin scale.

That'd cripple a mount or two!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-02-2014 at 05:43 PM.