Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
In a strange way, I like that look.
Wouldn't it still be possible to shoot 35 on the 645? Or are there no "conversion kits"? And that 105mm really keeps tempting me over to the 67... I dunno xD Just not so sure about the handheld use. There's the shake issue I've read about which shouldn't be too bad from what some here have said. And then the 645N looks to have better ergonomics. Is there some sort of grip for the 67? (For the right hand... I already know of the wooden grip for the left)
There are a few custom do it yourself ones out there people made. The 67II has w right hand grip on it. Persoannaly i think its worth it for the uogrades anyway, including better dampening for the mirror slap (the others are know for causing camera shake).

03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there some sort of grip for the 67? (For the right hand... I already know of the wooden grip for the left)
A flash bracket with cable-release would work.

Steve
03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Wouldn't it still be possible to shoot 35 on the 645? Or are there no "conversion kits"? And that 105mm really keeps tempting me over to the 67... I dunno xD Just not so sure about the handheld use. There's the shake issue I've read about which shouldn't be too bad from what some here have said. And then the 645N looks to have better ergonomics. Is there some sort of grip for the 67? (For the right hand... I already know of the wooden grip for the left)
I think it is possible, but not sure.
The mirror slap issue, is like pixel peeping in DSLR, unless one plan to print large, I don't see it will be a big issue for average shooter like me. I am just happy to be able to shoot some film.
P67, especially P6x7 can be have at really reasonable price if you are patient....

P645 is great too from what I saw... I just haven't caught up with it's look....
One good thing about the 645 is.... you can always use the glass when you 'upgrade' to 645D in the future.
03-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #79
Site Supporter

35mm on the 645? That would be a trick, though I can imagine it might work with a modified 220 insert (it is already calibrated for no paper backing) taking care to not wind too many frames onto the take-up spool and removing the insert in the darkroom or changing bag. I have shot with the 645N before and I seem to remember that the camera finishes out the roll based on exposure count (15 for 120 insert and 30 for 220 insert). I don't know how it confirms that film is present. IIRC, the shutter usually will not release if the insert is detected as empty.

As for usability, the 645N which I used was an absolute pleasure. The ergonomics are great and hand-holding is not a problem at reasonable speeds. It is a solid and thoroughly professional tool.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-14-2014 at 12:59 PM.
03-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
35mm on the 645? That would be a trick, though I can imagine it might work with a modified 220 insert (it is already calibrated for no paper backing) taking care to not wind too many frames onto the take-up spool and removing the insert in the darkroom or changing bag. I have shot with the 645N before and I seem to remember that the camera finishes out the roll based on exposure count (15 for 120 insert and 30 for 220 insert). I don't know how it confirms that film is present. IIRC, the shutter usually will not release if the insert is detected as empty.

As for usability, the 645N which I used was an absolute pleasure. The ergonomics are great and hand-holding is not a problem at reasonable speeds. It is a solid and thoroughly professional tool.

Steve
This has been my finding also. The 645 relies on its electronics to know how far to advance the film. This is how it keeps uniform spacing between the frames without a cam in the film carrier.
I have heard that 220 backs modified to use 120 film do not behave properly when they get to the end of a roll. But if you were spooling 135 on there, you would already be doing it in a darkroom anyway.

Way too many things on my list. I can't get to that project until this summer.
03-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm... I have a couple ideas as to how to get the camera to detect it, but I'll need to look when I get mine.

And, searching around a bit, isn't there the 67>645 adapter that would let me use a 105/2.4 on the 645N? I've read about such a thing, but I can't find one.
03-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard of it. I was discussing 645 vs 67 with an employee at Freestyle the other day. I think he was urging me to upgrade to the 67, but recommended the adapter as the next best thing to get access to the lenses. I don't think I could buy a 67 lens without buying a 67 and three or four more lenses though, so the adapter is not on my radar at this time.
03-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah. Didn't think to check Amazon. A quick search there turned up a Fotodiox adapter for only $80. I might go that route to get that 105/2.4.

03-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately, my significant other is urging me not to get a 645, (On the grounds that it's very expensive) so I might end up going the 35mm route.
I just got a ME Super for free from someone, now I'm just waiting for Amazon to ship out the batteries I need to test it (no local store carries it) This thing has been sitting around long enough that I'm not sure how well it'll work. (The film in the bag expired in 2000) But without a battery, the shutter fires properly, so... hopefully.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 03-31-2014 at 07:55 AM.
04-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #85

Congrats on the ME Super, I'm sure it will work good. The old 35mm bodies are all pretty dependable.

And don't worry you are young and you haven plenty of time to get the medium format and change your mind a few times in the process. Of course I did save up several hundred and bought myself a Pentax LX when I was a sophomore in HS, so I guess that shows where I placed proprieties. I spent as much on my camera as a did my first car (1981 Chevette).. guess which one I still have

I didn't get my MF till my mid 20's. I of course spent a few grand on my 67II and a few lenses when I did.
04-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, after a day of shooting, it looks like the ME Super's electronics have failed. It was lovely while it worked. xD

I'm sending it off to Eric for a repair as I loved the feel of it.
04-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #87
Veteran Member

ME Super's are not worth fixing, they are worth about $35... you could get 3 of them
Or get MX. My fav pentax film SLR.
04-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
ME Super's are not worth fixing, they are worth about $35... you could get 3 of them
Or get MX. My fav pentax film SLR.
Well, my thinking is, I liked the feel of it, I got it for free, and I could get two or three that might just fail again. So, I could get one repaired and have it guaranteed to work. If the estimate is too much, I can just have it sent back.
And the MX (along with the Super Program) has been tempting me, if I can find one for inexpensive enough.
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Well, my thinking is, I liked the feel of it, I got it for free, and I could get two or three that might just fail again. So, I could get one repaired and have it guaranteed to work. If the estimate is too much, I can just have it sent back.
And the MX (along with the Super Program) has been tempting me, if I can find one for inexpensive enough.
I have ME Super and MX. I also used to own LX, but I sold it. I don't need no mirror lockup on 35mm camera.
I like the feel and viewfinders of ME Super and MX best as well. I broke the winding mechanism on ME Super by winding too hard. There are instructions for self fix, but I have failed so far at my attempts... since I can't find the right tab I need to bend into it's proper place... Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

I wish the instructions were easier to follow...
04-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #90
Pentaxian

ME Supers are worth fixing as another one may well fail too. Better to take care of the cameras we have than to constantly take risks on "new" ones.

It's one of my favourite SLRs, the shutter sound is divine.

Shame about the 645, but there's plenty more opportunity. You may find one at a lower price sometime if you keep your eyes open, or your other half may relent and give you his/her blessing...