Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
ME Supers are worth fixing as another one may well fail too. Better to take care of the cameras we have than to constantly take risks on "new" ones.

It's one of my favourite SLRs, the shutter sound is divine.

Shame about the 645, but there's plenty more opportunity. You may find one at a lower price sometime if you keep your eyes open, or your other half may relent and give you his/her blessing...
That was the first thing I noticed and instantly fell in love with.

Hehehe. Maybe.

05-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My ME Super arrived back from Eric. Worked great, very nicely cleaned up... but I managed to lock up the mirror somehow. :-\ I'm emailing Eric for any suggestions.
05-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
My ME Super arrived back from Eric. Worked great, very nicely cleaned up... but I managed to lock up the mirror somehow. :-\ I'm emailing Eric for any suggestions.
Not completely familiar with the ME, but first question I have is how are the batteries? I believe that camera is only made to run without battery in 125x or bulb so try switching it to those and see if the mirror drops back down and it functions normally.
05-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
Not completely familiar with the ME, but first question I have is how are the batteries? I believe that camera is only made to run without battery in 125x or bulb so try switching it to those and see if the mirror drops back down and it functions normally.
I tried fresh batteries AND the 125X and B modes. No go. The mirror is back down, but the shutter is still cocked and the shutter button still does nothing.

05-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eric just emailed me back saying that he'll repair it. Looks like it'll be in his hands again.
05-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #96

Eric just emailed me back saying that he'll repair it. Looks like it'll be in his hands again.
Glad to hear you have problem solved and he'll be able to fix it. Electronics on old cameras can be fickle, but its always good to test the battery before jumping to worse case scenario.

... That's one reason i suggested my favorite all manual camera (k1000) at the beginning of the thread, it only uses the battery for the meter reading so you can otherwise shoot without it. So all you need is some film and the sunny 16 rule and you are good to go, makes for a perfect backup 35mm body.
05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
... That's one reason i suggested my favorite all manual camera (k1000) at the beginning of the thread.
My K1000 ended up with a slow and sticky mirror, so I took it apart out of curiosity. XD.

I might pick up an MX sometime, since I like the size of the ME Super and Super Program, but I'd like a mechanical body.

The K1000, I didn't find as comfortable as the smaller cameras.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 05-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.
05-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #98
gma

My K1000 ended up with a slow and sticky mirror, so I took it apart out of curiosity. XD.

I might pick up an MX sometime, since I like the size of the ME Super and Super Program, but I'd like a mechanical body.

The K1000, I didn't find as comfortable as the smaller cameras.
I'm sad for your K1000! Is it something you could send off to somebody to fix. I know there are hundreds of thousands of them, but it's still a finite number!

The MX is lovely. When I'm holding it I'm reminded a lot of my mirrorless digital cameras. I'm looking forward to receiving the leather half case that I've ordered, which (based on how my X100 feels) ought to round out the handling nicely.
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gma Quote
I'm sad for your K1000! Is it something you could send off to somebody to fix. I know there are hundreds of thousands of them, but it's still a finite number!

The MX is lovely. When I'm holding it I'm reminded a lot of my mirrorless digital cameras. I'm looking forward to receiving the leather half case that I've ordered, which (based on how my X100 feels) ought to round out the handling nicely.
I sliiiightly mangled some cosmetic parts, so I didn't dig too deep. I think it's probably fixable though.
06-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good point, DSims. From the looks of it, I would have to buy a new lens for the FOV I want in both the 35mm and 645 formats. And since I don't mind (and actually like) manual focus, it seems that I could get some lenses for reasonably inexpensive prices. So it looks to be a tossup.
Depends on how you define reasonable. There were, AFAIK, NO third party lenses for the 645 or 67. And with the introduction of the 645D the used market for 645 lenses really took off, especially for the autofocus lenses, made for the 645n and 645nii.
06-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am almost angry with myself for investing in 35mm film gear. The lenses are good, but I really do not need 4 lenses for each of my two digital Pentax bodies. I got a Holga 120 camera, did not care for the lack of control. Then I got a Lubitel 166 TLR, and I liked the pictures, but the mechanism is just clumsy as hell. Then I got a Moscow 5, which shoots 6x9 on 120 film, and THAT was delicious!
I left the Holga on a shelf when I moved, hope someone uses it, but I won't.
Sold the Lubitel for about half of what I paid.
Broke the Moscow shutter trying to change shutter speed.
Got a Yashica TLR 6x6 D model, and I absolutely LOVE that camera, after I did a CLA and custom recover and paint.
I also got a 6x9 folding Agfa Billy Record II which I will love as soon as the bellows is replaced.

The point is that the 6x6 and 6x9 120 formats generally have a single lens choice, and for making a shot work, this is the epitome of photography.
Using what you have to get the image you want. Not swapping gear out, but using what you have. Thinking it through, making it count.

Good luck!
06-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Yeah... I think I'd end up doing the same a lot with a 35mm. I switch styles often enough with my digital gear. I wouldn't like too much to be stuck with one "look" for too long xD

I think a MF might help my photography, especially a 67. Being limited to 10 well thought out shots would be good. And I couldn't just click away aimlessly as I sometimes do with digital. I think it would suit me best to get a 67. Now to save up for it.

Anything else I should keep in mind, going to MF?
If you really want to slow down and get deliberate, have you considered 4x5? You could change your film and style for every shot if you want to...

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
The point is that the 6x6 and 6x9 120 formats generally have a single lens choice, and for making a shot work, this is the epitome of photography.
Using what you have to get the image you want. Not swapping gear out, but using what you have. Thinking it through, making it count.
Thanks for the inspiration. I've got an old Zeiss Ikon that I've been neglecting, and a fridge stocked with 120 Ilford HP5. My wife and I are about to embark on a coast to coast, month long trip - this might be refreshing!

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-11-2014 at 11:35 PM.
06-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Medium format is great
06-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
If you really want to slow down and get deliberate, have you considered 4x5? You could change your film and style for every shot if you want to...
I had considered it, but I can't find an affordable system I could justify.
06-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #105

When you do have a few dollars to spend and want to try out LF I'd recommend a classic like the Speed Graphic, they can be had quite reasonably rather than dropping 4-5 times that on a more modern kit.