Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Large format field camera

Figure it's a shot in the dark, but my wife's birthday is coming up, I'd like to get her a field camera similar to a wisner for display only, doesn't have to work at all or have all the internal pieces just needs to be wooden and cosmetically decent. Does such a thing exist or are they all fully functional and outrageously priced? If I can't locate one by her birthday I've got a couple chances later,,,

JJ

03-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,417
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Figure it's a shot in the dark, but my wife's birthday is coming up, I'd like to get her a field camera similar to a wisner for display only, doesn't have to work at all or have all the internal pieces just needs to be wooden and cosmetically decent. Does such a thing exist or are they all fully functional and outrageously priced? If I can't locate one by her birthday I've got a couple chances later,,,

JJ




View cameras sell for a lot less than they used. Some really old ones look great if you don't mind tarnished brightwork.
03-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
Well I'm not seeing a lot in my price range, it would be different if we were gonna use it, but as a decoration I can't see that kind of money.
03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,467
Dang...anything cosmetically pleasing would also likely be fully functional.* The cheapest route to success would be to find a used Tachihara in eBay. They are generally made of nicely stained rosewood and have polished brass hardware. Unfortunately, even these are pretty hard to find for much less than $600 USD.

I just did a quick look-see at Blue Moon Camera and they have a RHS 4x5 for $350 USD.

Inventory | Blue Moon Camera and Machine

Adorama has a used Wista for $339 USD.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20623986.html


Steve

* Field cameras tend to have nine lives since they are fairly easily repaired. As a result, prices tend to stay high as compared to studio view cameras.


Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
You could also get an old Speed Graphic... looks great on a bookshelf.
03-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
You could also get an old Speed Graphic... looks great on a bookshelf.

Looking for wood framed...

JJ

---------- Post added 03-02-14 at 10:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dang...anything cosmetically pleasing would also likely be fully functional.* The cheapest route to success would be to find a used Tachihara in eBay. They are generally made of nicely stained rosewood and have polished brass hardware. Unfortunately, even these are pretty hard to find for much less than $600 USD.

I just did a quick look-see at Blue Moon Camera and they have a RHS 4x5 for $350 USD.

Inventory | Blue Moon Camera and Machine

Adorama has a used Wista for $339 USD.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20623986.html?


Steve

* Field cameras tend to have nine lives since they are fairly easily repaired. As a result, prices tend to stay high as compared to studio view cameras.

I'll check them out...

JJ
03-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,417
Vintage 5 x 7 Wood Wooden View Camera | eBay


Vintage 5 X 7 Wood Wooden View Camera
03-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
Found one guys apparently I was searching the wrong terms...they actually do sell decorative box cameras for display only....who knew

JJ


Last edited by jerryleejr; 03-03-2014 at 05:51 AM.
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,467
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Found one guys apparently I was searching the wrong terms...they actually do sell decorative box cameras for display only....who knew

JJ
What? No link?

I remember seeing a listing on a home decor Web site a few years ago featuring fully functional FED and Zorki rangefinder cameras as vintage photo decoration. The prices were quite good (less than $40 with lens) and inventory was snatched up very quickly.


Steve

P.S. I have several of my older cameras sitting on the fireplace mantel...
03-03-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What? No link?

I remember seeing a listing on a home decor Web site a few years ago featuring fully functional FED and Zorki rangefinder cameras as vintage photo decoration. The prices were quite good (less than $40 with lens) and inventory was snatched up very quickly.


Steve

P.S. I have several of my older cameras sitting on the fireplace mantel...
Wooden Camera Search Results | Overstock.com

Here ya go...

JJ
03-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster


Birthday sucess, on time and perfect thanks a lot guys....

JJ
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
birthday, camera, cameras, field, jj, moon, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printer large format recomendations Wired Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 25 09-24-2013 08:14 AM
Suggestions for online photo printing (large format) wedge Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 11-30-2012 12:10 PM
Kodak Large Format Book... magkelly Pentax Medium Format 2 10-15-2012 07:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top