Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Shutter on SP500 stuck open

Hello, I have a Pentax SP500 here thar appears to be stuck open, I can get it back down after actuating the shutter on Bulb mode a few times. It seems to get stuck back up the next time I shoot though. I never had this issue on my Nikon SLR and DSLR camera's so its weird. I am shooting in chilling -25c weather, could that be a culprit?

Thanks, first time posting on this forum

03-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you're shooting in extreme cold, I believe you need to get your camera and lenses lubricated every few years. My old 35mm film gear (which hasn't been taken apart and re-lubricated & works perfectly at normal temperatures) seizes up around 0ºC.
03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other thing that might be the problem if this is the two shutter dial model, such as I had, you must set the dial you are not using to the 1/25 or 1/30 position for things to work right. The first thing I thought of was that the front dial was on "T" and the second push of the shutter release should close the shutters.
03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If you're shooting in extreme cold, I believe you need to get your camera and lenses lubricated every few years. My old 35mm film gear (which hasn't been taken apart and re-lubricated & works perfectly at normal temperatures) seizes up around 0ºC.
Thanks, it appears to be unseized, I'm guessing too that the lubrication has seized due to freezing. This is a bit weird because my D800 and D90 don't have these issues.

03-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photographictime Quote
Thanks, it appears to be unseized, I'm guessing too that the lubrication has seized due to freezing. This is a bit weird because my D800 and D90 don't have these issues.
Send it to Eric and have it given a Clean/Adjust/Lubricate. It needs an "oil change" if it seizes up in the cold.