Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey

wow. this is p0rn. nice combo!

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 07:32 PM ----------

LesDMess. How did you rig the picture of the watch? Completley dark room?

Regards
Baard-E
Thanks Baard-E.

Regarding the watch shot, it had to be a very dark room but of course your eyes adjust to it and it won't seem that way. Looking at that roll, it was a progression of longer exposures with that shot being the longest.

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 10:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The original Olympus OM-2 extreme long autoexposure ability is legendary - virtually unlimited.
The only limiting factor is battery capacity.
Chris
According to John Hermanson of Camtech, the original OM2 maximum exposure time was 19 minutes at ASA12 while the OM2N max is 3.5 minutes -> TP - OM-2/2N

All the other capable bodies I have tested vary with each model except for the Canon which consistently maxes out at 30 seconds.

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 11:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eagle1 Quote
LesDmess, On Hoover Dam, all I can say is wow!
Thanks!

03-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
According to John Hermanson of Camtech, the original OM2 maximum exposure time was 19 minutes at ASA12 while the OM2N max is 3.5 minutes
Yes, those are the manufacturers specifications.
In actual use OM-2 autoexposure time is far longer.

Chris
03-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
What is it about the KX? Are you as fond of the MX, or do you prefer the K body?
I prefer the KX to the MX for the following reasons:

It's slightly larger and therefore easier to hold.
Controls are spaced further apart and easier to operate.
I also prefer the analog meter display to LEDs.

The LX is nearly as compact as the MX but the controls are easier to operate.

Chris
What he said.

Steve
03-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is it about the KX? Are you as fond of the MX, or do you prefer the K body?
I like the KX's viewfinder. It's not as big as some, but it's crystal clear and nice and bright. Mine both have the IMHO better split focus screen. That really helps me manually focus a lot better. (I have one just like it on my digital K-x.) I like the way it meters. It's rock solid, just like a Spottie. It's got mirror lock up. It's a bit quirky compared to a lot of the other manual Pentax bodies but I like it and after a bit of using it I didn't mind it. I found most of the things most people usually quibble over with the KX actually helped me, rather than hindered me. The only thing I did find hard about it is that I have to use the wrong eye a lot with it to be able to operate it and not get poked in the eye, but I got used to that fairly quickly.

I was just starting to use a K1000 when I got my first one. Honestly, I've barely touched the K1000's since. The KX is just so much better than the K1000's. MY K1000's they just don't quite have the hand feel of the KX's. When I go out to shoot with film I pretty much always have an SPII body in my bag ready to go with one lens and one of the KX's with another lens. They've become my favorite film pair up. My 2 KX's are black and in great shape so they still look really smart, grin, but I think even if they were both chrome and black I'd still make a place in my bag for them.

Check out the stats more closely here. The KX is a bit of a different beast in some ways....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-kx.html

03-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, those are the manufacturers specifications.
In actual use OM-2 autoexposure time is far longer.

Chris
The specs in the manuals are far shorter at 120 seconds.

I also tested the OM2 and my results match his. Did you test it and got far longer autoexposures or know of others who did?
03-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like the KX's viewfinder. It's not as big as some, but it's crystal clear and nice and bright. Mine both have the IMHO better split focus screen. That really helps me manually focus a lot better. (I have one just like it on my digital K-x.) I like the way it meters. It's rock solid, just like a Spottie. It's got mirror lock up. It's a bit quirky compared to a lot of the other manual Pentax bodies but I like it and after a bit of using it I didn't mind it. I found most of the things most people usually quibble over with the KX actually helped me, rather than hindered me. The only thing I did find hard about it is that I have to use the wrong eye a lot with it to be able to operate it and not get poked in the eye, but I got used to that fairly quickly.

I was just starting to use a K1000 when I got my first one. Honestly, I've barely touched the K1000's since. The KX is just so much better than the K1000's. MY K1000's they just don't quite have the hand feel of the KX's. When I go out to shoot with film I pretty much always have an SPII body in my bag ready to go with one lens and one of the KX's with another lens. They've become my favorite film pair up. My 2 KX's are black and in great shape so they still look really smart, grin, but I think even if they were both chrome and black I'd still make a place in my bag for them.

Check out the stats more closely here. The KX is a bit of a different beast in some ways....

Pentax KX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Like I mentioned earlier, I had one, but it was in rough shape. Decided to keep the KM as it was functionally and cosmetically in better shape. My gripes about the KM are the no mirror lock up and the fact there isnít a lock/switch for the meter and shutter release. The meter is on whenever the lens cap is off. Otherwise, I like it. I prefer the split screen and my KM has the microprism screen.

Curious if anyone prefers the KX over the LX.
03-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter

My gripes about the KM are the no mirror lock up and the fact there isn’t a lock/switch for the meter and shutter release.
I have always wondered why Pentax did not provide an advance lever meter switch for the KM similar to that in the KX. The lens cap solution is dumb, in my opinion. As for MLU...another reason to by the KX

Steve
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Did you test it and got far longer autoexposures or know of others who did?
I worked in camera service at Olympus Corporation in the mid-1980's.
I did not service the OM-2, but my trainer did. Mr Okabe also performed professional service.

I recall customer reports of exposures far longer than 19 minutes.
Were their reports overly optimistic? Perhaps.

Another possibility is that there was some change in maximum exposure time during production.
The OM-2 could lock up when batteries became exhausted, as might occur during an extremely long auto exposure.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.
03-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Any ideas why the MX's shutter speed dial is consistently reported as tight or requiring more effort to turn? Why was it designed that way?
The MX shutter speed dial is not significantly stiffer. IMO the main cause of difficulty is its location.
The MX shutter speed dial is lower, closer to the top cover. It is also closer to the pentaprism cover.

I did have one MX body whose shutter speed dial was more worn than the others.
I could move that one easily with one finger at the front.

Chris
03-13-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I finally got used to the MX shutter dial. It's stiff, but I can move it with my index finger, just got to be forceful and it goes where I want it to.

I used to own LX and MX and I sold the LX, I didn't use any of the extra features to justify the extra 100g. It didn't take better photos and I liked the bigger viewfinder in MX, not to mention simplicity of it.
03-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Curious if anyone prefers the KX over the LX.

I sold my LX. I prefer the KX. I'm not a fan of LEDs; the KX analog match-needle meter is first rate.
The LX is a great professional system camera but frankly overkill for me. The KX has all the features I require.
IMO the KX also handles better, due mostly to its slightly larger size.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-13-2014 at 05:43 PM.
03-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I haven't sold my LX but it sits on the shelf calling out, "Money!" because I rarely use it. When I want to shoot film with old lenses I invariably take one of the KX'es.

Still there's a part of me that enjoys the idea of having a KX, an MX and an LX. All in black.

Gotta kill that.
03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anyone have a KX to sell me?
03-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #44
Veteran Member

A decent KX chrome body can be found with patience on Ebay or Goodwill Online fairly often for less than $75 but finding the 2 black ones took me a while. I had to pay a bit more for them than I wanted to because via Ebay or Goodwill Online a lot of people are bidding crazy sums for just about any older black Pentax made before they went into the era of plastic bodies. If you see one you can expect to have quite a few people bidding against you but you can still pick up one for less than $150, maybe even with a lens or two if you get lucky. I think Goodwill Online has better ones than the ones on Ebay though. If you keep mostly to the auctions by stores on the West Coast you'll find they have the better equipment. Tacoma in particular gets some nice gear and it's usually fairly clean.

---------- Post added 03-14-14 at 04:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Still there's a part of me that enjoys the idea of having a KX, an MX and an LX. All in black. Gotta kill that.
This made me laugh because I so get that. I have a Honeywell Black SPII and a black Spottie F that don't work right now at all, broken, both of them, but I'm hanging onto them until I can get them fixed. I do have a Honeywell black SPII that does, but that camera could also use a CLA beyond what I can give it. I have two black KX's in pretty decent shape but those I want Eric to CLA one of these days too. That's FIVE older black bodies, albeit only 3 of them work and you know what? I'd still kill for a working black ASAHI SPII. Why the working Honeywell one hasn't quite satisfied my black SPII lust I dunno, but it's a fact it hasn't quite. There's no excuse for it. I don't need it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having one that says Honeywell on it vs Asahi, but it doesn't matter, I just plain WANT it anyway. SPII's in general are an obsession with me, but that one, the Asahi SPII in black it's like some kind of Holy Grail thing with me...
03-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well I haven't sold my LX but it sits on the shelf calling out, "Money!" because I rarely use it. When I want to shoot film with old lenses I invariably take one of the KX'es.

Still there's a part of me that enjoys the idea of having a KX, an MX and an LX. All in black.

Gotta kill that.
Stop the killing

I will never part with my LX...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo