Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which film body to pick up next?

I have an LX, KM, and ME Super all with Eric right now. LX is in excellent condition and had the least amount of work of the three. ME Super was the camera my inlaws bought to take baby pictures of my wife when she was born, and the KM is in really great shape as well, but was just one snagged on eBay I think.

I'm itching for another and the primary purpose is a film body to shoot in the field with my Marines, plenty of low light opportunities away from all the light pollution. Been looking at the KX since it has everything other than Av, the MX because of the size and everyone seems to love them, no mirror lock up though. I even looked at some of the P bodies, but most seem incapable of DX coding override.

I've also considered a backup LX to shoot with and cannibalize should the time come I need parts for my nice one. Downside there is obviously the price.

What to do? LX is probably the obvious choice for low light/night time shots. I think some long exposures on automatic catching howitzer muzzle flash would be interesting. If I go with the KX, I could see myself selling the KM.

03-08-2014, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

For being in a field, you probably want a banged up 2nd LX.... dust resistant etc and like you said spare parts, long exposures etc.
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
For being in a field, you probably want a banged up 2nd LX.... dust resistant etc and like you said spare parts, long exposures etc.
Kind of what I was thinking. I'm curious about how most seem to love the MX though. Maybe I should get all three.
03-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I love the aperture priority on my LX too much to go MX....

03-08-2014, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Kind of what I was thinking. I'm curious about how most seem to love the MX though. Maybe I should get all three.
And why shouldn't you!

In the manual focus cameras, it's all about the viewfinder. Those with glasses tend to favor eyerelief over viewfinder magnification. If you don't wear glasses then the MX's huge viewfinder is a big plus. In fact it's the biggest full info viewfinder in the smallest full manual SLR body.

The LX is already the smallest fully interchangeable viewfinder system - along with many other fine attributes, but an MX with a pancake lens is quite useful when you want a full manual SLR in a small package.

03-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for the LX because of the weather resistance, plus the two minute auto exposure capability in Av. And if your batteries go dead, all the speeds from X up can still be used.
03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I vote for the LX because of the weather resistance, plus the two minute auto exposure capability in Av. And if your batteries go dead, all the speeds from X up can still be used.
The two minute auto exposure capability is only a specification number as I have tested both my LX's to be able to autoexpose more than 4 hours. There is no other camera that I have tried - various brands and models past and present, that comes close to this.

03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, but they only claim accuracy at 125 seconds. You are correct, though. I have heard tales of really extravagant exposure times with the LX. I think it just might have the finest auto exposure system ever built, matrix not withstanding.
03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PRK addressed the glasses/contacts, so no issue there. I may have to snag all three. I was looking at a few on KEH recently, but don't like the double price for the black version of the MX, but a black trio of KX, LX, and MX would be lovely.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

I was a K or A 50/1.2 as well and likely could get all three bodies for the price of that lens. Looks fantastic on that LX.
03-08-2014, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Yeah, but they only claim accuracy at 125 seconds. You are correct, though. I have heard tales of really extravagant exposure times with the LX. I think it just might have the finest auto exposure system ever built, matrix not withstanding.
This one is an obvious 15 minute autoepose with the LX using Kodak Gold 100.

This one using Kodak Ektar 100 autoexpose with the LX for >40 minutes one late night at the Hoover Dam.

There is no other camera that can do this. I believe that there is not an external meter that has the single exposure range of the LX.
03-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

LesDmess, On Hoover Dam, all I can say is wow!
03-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I had two LXs. Now I have none. I've owned 7 MXs and still have 3. That about tells you how I feel. It's my all time favorite 35mm camera.

However, I still also use a handheld meter, a 4x5 view camera, a Mamiya C330, and only use my K10D or Kx on manual - and I've disabled autofocus except for the central focusing spot. I shoot pretty much everything at ISO 400, so often go afield without even a meter.

So, I'm a Luddite of the first order, have no use for batteries, and I'm recommending you get yourself an MX!
03-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gord lucas Quote
So, I'm a Luddite of the first order, have no use for batteries, and I'm recommending you get yourself an MX!
Truth be told, I really wouldn't have gotten beyond an SV except I am lazy.
03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's reasonable for an MX these days? KEH has a black model graded as excellent for $325 and a bargain model at $179. That seems crazy considering they have an excellent graded LX at $399. Bargain silver MX listed for $119.
03-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
What's reasonable for an MX these days? KEH has a black model graded as excellent for $325 and a bargain model at $179. That seems crazy considering they have an excellent graded LX at $399. Bargain silver MX listed for $119.
Your idea of $300 excellent would have to be in the same ballpark as theirs.
I suppose if it has been overhauled, is guaranteed it to be like-new, and has a warranty for a few years, an MX could be worth $300 to me.
Mine came from ebay for $25 each and are 100% functional, though the black one looks pretty rough.