Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus of DSLR Lenses on Pentax Film Bodies

Hello,

there is this great Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Does anybody know if there is a similar chart that includes third party lenses?

Or in more practical terms, would autofocus work on a Pentax Z-1 Film Body for the lenses listed (they all have no aperture ring):

Tamron Lens SP 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD ASP Makro
Sigma Lens 24-70mm, f/2.8 IF EX DG Asp. HSM
Pentax Lens SMC-DA 18-135mm, f/3.5-5.6, DC WR

Thank You

03-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure about the Z-1 but as an example, on my Super Program I can use manual or auto those because I can set aperture from the controls. On my more advanced (?) MZ-S there is no way to do the aperture except the ring so I would be limited to full auto with no manual. Your Z-1 will behave accordingly depending on the features.
03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Even if the SDM/HSM are there, older bodies only used them for power zooms and the camera can't use them for focus.

The Tamron should autofocus but will show heavy vignetting since it's a Di lens (for digital)
The Sigma will not autofocus (HSM) but will cover the full film
The Pentax will not autofocus (DC) and will show heavy vignetting since it's a DA (for digital)
03-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Even if the SDM/HSM are there, older bodies only used them for power zooms and the camera can't use them for focus.

The Tamron should autofocus but will show heavy vignetting since it's a Di lens (for digital)
The Sigma will not autofocus (HSM) but will cover the full film
The Pentax will not autofocus (DC) and will show heavy vignetting since it's a DA (for digital)
Thank you for your quick answer.

I understood from the link below that Di supports both APS-C and full frame and Di II supports only up to APS-C size.

For the autofocus on the Tamron, you make me hope it would work.

Tamron Europe: Technical Glossary

03-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You're right about the Di... what a stupid way to name your lenses...

And for the focus, Tamron usually use old tech with their lenses, as long as the lens reports it is AF in a format the camera understand, the screw drive will work
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron should be equivalent to using an F or FA lens - those lenses work fine on my PZ-1. But if the Tamron lacks an aperture ring, then it's really the equivalent of the D FA 100mm WR - which, as you can see from the chart, also works fine.
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Thank you for your quick answer.

I understood from the link below that Di supports both APS-C and full frame and Di II supports only up to APS-C size.

For the autofocus on the Tamron, you make me hope it would work.

Actually Di supports APS-C and Dii supports both as it is a full frame . In essence,
Di (tamron)=DC (sigma)=DA (pentax)
Dii(tamron)=DG(sigma)=DFA/FA (pentax

03-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The pentax and the tamron work fine n the ZX/MZ series
I think the Sigma will work fine too
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have used a Sigma 70-210 as well as the DA*50-135 on a ZX-50. Screw-drive auto-focus on a little plastic camera seemed silly, so I got an SF1.
03-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Not sure about the Z-1 but as an example, on my Super Program I can use manual or auto those because I can set aperture from the controls. On my more advanced (?) MZ-S there is no way to do the aperture except the ring so I would be limited to full auto with no manual. Your Z-1 will behave accordingly depending on the features.
The Super Program will only work in Program or Tv modes with lenses without aperture rings. The Z-1 works just like a K-5 and can control the aperture with the rear dial giving access to all modes*.

* To clarify, you can't select Manual or Av from the mode selector as these need the aperture ring off 'A' but you can use HyperManual & HyperProgram (Program/Av/Tv) as these work with the aperture ring on 'A' - any old Z-1 shooters will understand the (insignificant) difference. The Z-1 'IF' button does the same as the green button on the K-5 (reseting HyperManual or HyperProgram to the selected program line), except it doesn't need to stop-down meter as the mount isn't crippled.

John.
03-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually Di supports APS-C and Dii supports both as it is a full frame . In essence,
Di (tamron)=DC (sigma)=DA (pentax)
Dii(tamron)=DG(sigma)=DFA/FA (pentax
This is not what is noted on the Tamron home page. See link. Could you clarify the source of your information?

03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The pentax and the tamron work fine n the ZX/MZ series
I think the Sigma will work fine too
Does this include the autofocus or just the Av/Tv setting? Did you try yourself?
03-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Does this include the autofocus or just the Av/Tv setting? Did you try yourself?
I hope this information can help you somehow. I had used Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro lens on my Z1-p and it works normally (AF, Tv, Av,TAv, bracketing, etc) vexcept for heavy vignetting from 18-100mm(?)
03-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes AF and AV/TV on a ZX7, I saw a bit of vignetting until 28-30mm but it works fine (use panorama mode to erase the vignette)
Pictures turn out really good
03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Yes AF and AV/TV on a ZX7, I saw a bit of vignetting until 28-30mm but it works fine (use panorama mode to erase the vignette)
Pictures turn out really good
Thank You for info

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 11:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by on9ye Quote
I hope this information can help you somehow. I had used Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro lens on my Z1-p and it works normally (AF, Tv, Av,TAv, bracketing, etc) vexcept for heavy vignetting from 18-100mm(?)
Thank you for info