Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-mount on M42 body?

I know there are M42 to K mount adaptors. What about the other way i.e. is there a way to attach a k-mount lens to something like a Spotmatic?

Thx

04-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #2

Hi,
I don't think you can do that. The K bayonet is larger than the m42 thread, and both mounts have the same register distance.
If there was an adapter, you would lose the focus at infinity.

François
04-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
François

I saw the list of M42 lenses you have. How do you like using them on the K10? At least I assume you do...
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Banned

no. because as LeFanch said the register distance is the same. the adapter would have to fit in-between the mount and lens instead of inside the mount like the adapter K does, this would cause you to loose infinity focus.

04-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmonroe6 Quote
I know there are M42 to K mount adaptors. What about the other way i.e. is there a way to attach a k-mount lens to something like a Spotmatic?

Thx
Kmonroe,
As far as I know, no one makes such an adapter, because you would loose inifinity as stated above. If you really want such a setup, you could easily take a bayonet mount from a cheap teleconverter and install it in a a M42 body. You can get great deals for both on Feabay or this site. You may have to shim the mount a little, because the M42 mount may be thicker. The distance from the face of the new mount should be 45.5mm from the film preasure plate with the mirror up and the shutter open. I would just get a nice inexpensive K-mount film body,so that I would retain auto diaphram function.

Dave
04-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kmonroe6 Quote
François

I saw the list of M42 lenses you have. How do you like using them on the K10? At least I assume you do...
Hi kmonroe6,
I love using those manual lenses.
It all started with a Sony A100 that got replaced by the K10D last year. I am very happy with the combination.
I do not have any AF lens, that does not mean I won't have any at all, but I kind of gave priority to prime lenses so older lenses were more compatible with my budget

With those manual lenses you need to take your time, and think about the end result a bit more. At least I do. That is not something I used to do when using AF zooms. That might seem strange, but losing AF actually gave me something more

François