Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

SF1 split prism focus screen?

Hi,

Will keep it short - I have a SF1 that could really use a proper MF focus screen.

Are any with split prism readily available? Any common swaps? In particular, I have a ZX-M that came attached to a lens. I wouldn't use it seriously - weird-ass battery and way too chintzy - any chance that screen will swap in?

Cheers,
Drew

04-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The normal screen in the SF1 is F-20. Other screens for it were FD-41 (center spot), FG-40 (grid) and FI-40 (metric ruler). None of them have split-screen or micro-prism ring.
I have never seen any of them available.
04-01-2014, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #3

Drew,

I use the ZX-M (or MZ-M as it is called in Europe) split screen successfully in SF and Z/PZ bodies with excellent results. The dimensions are identical for all models, just swap them. I took the screen from a defective MZ-M body, because I find the MZ-M too good to kill it only for the screen...

With focus trap and split screen, you have two good options for manual lenses on the SF1 !

Give it a try! BTW, Pentax sells this split screen as spare part for a few dollars.

Cheers,

Vranx
04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
Drew,

I use the ZX-M (or MZ-M as it is called in Europe) split screen successfully in SF and Z/PZ bodies with excellent results. The dimensions are identical for all models, just swap them. I took the screen from a defective MZ-M body, because I find the MZ-M too good to kill it only for the screen...

With focus trap and split screen, you have two good options for manual lenses on the SF1 !

Give it a try! BTW, Pentax sells this split screen as spare part for a few dollars.

Cheers,

Vranx
Good to know! Thank you for sharing this.

04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, thank you - precisely what I was hoping to hear!

I was perhaps a little harsh on the ZX-M, by the way. Controls seem well-placed, but it's insanely unbalanced with my 19-35mm Tokina mounted on it. Also, I've got other MF bodies that use $0.10 LR44 batteries.
04-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
Guys, thanks again.

Made the swap tonight - my SF1 is now a MF monster!

Like an idiot, I put a scratch in the screen when removing it from the MZ-S. Apparently the MZ screen isn't interchangeable. Had to "carefully" destroy the frame. Luckily, it's unobtrusive.
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
Drew,

Cheers,

Vranx
You mentioned swapping the screen from a ZX-M. Would a screen from any of the other ZX series bodies work too? I imagine that the screens in all ZX series bodies are the same but I would like to ask if you know for certain before I tear into a ZX-50.

Thanks!
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson installed a ZX-M screen in my MZ-3.

Chris

04-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You mentioned swapping the screen from a ZX-M. Would a screen from any of the other ZX series bodies work too? I imagine that the screens in all ZX series bodies are the same but I would like to ask if you know for certain before I tear into a ZX-50.

Thanks!
My experience is:

Screens for SF, Z/PZ and MZ/ZX series are fully interchangeable concerning dimensions and finder brightness/metering accuracy. Only about the last flagship MZ-S, I don't know. But all MZ bodies except the manual focus MZ-M feature a plain matte with AF grid screen, so I don't see the point of using those instead of the standard screens of SF or Z/PZ. But it's true, they can be easily taken out and they'll fit the other body series. Whenever you see the finder coverage of 92% in the body's specs, there is pretty good chance for having a fitting screen.

Hope, this helps.