Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Okay, any opinions on a camera with as many rusty screws and as dirty and beat up as this?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-11-2014 at 07:41 PM.
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The extensive brassing where the paint wore through and excessive dirt I could overlook since its dirt cheap (no pun intended) for a less common Black MX and would get sorted out in a CLA right after purchase anyways, but as you say the amount of rust where the paint is worn off the steel makes me say to pass on it because its likely been stored in a damp enough environment or gotten wet often enough where the inside probably looks like the outside and it would be too hard to get everything polished up to smooth working condition again to say nothing of possible corroded electrics for the meter. Looks like it was dumped on a shelf in a garage actually.
It is so frustratingly tempting at that price though.
Green oxidization on the top cover in the crevices is another thing to look for on the silver top bodies as a sign its gotten wet or been stored in a damp area.

EDIT: After watching the video if you do decide to take a chance on it ask him to make sure that the meter and all the info displays inside work which he can test with that lens and no film (no meter if the batteries are shot), and ask for sure if the film counter counts up normally all the way. That's a common breakage item on those so its actually good to ask that on any MX you bid on. I don't know what shutter speed he was on but the sqeaky shutter was a bit odd, could just be the video with the shutter speed the camera was set to.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
The extensive brassing where the paint wore through and excessive dirt I could overlook since its dirt cheap (no pun intended) for a less common Black MX and would get sorted out in a CLA right after purchase anyways, but as you say the amount of rust where the paint is worn off the steel makes me say to pass on it because its likely been stored in a damp enough environment or gotten wet often enough where the inside probably looks like the outside and it would be too hard to get everything polished up to smooth working condition again to say nothing of possible corroded electrics for the meter. Looks like it was dumped on a shelf in a garage actually.
It is so frustratingly tempting at that price though.
Green oxidization on the top cover in the crevices is another thing to look for on the silver top bodies as a sign its gotten wet or been stored in a damp area.

EDIT: After watching the video if you do decide to take a chance on it ask him to make sure that the meter and all the info displays inside work which he can test with that lens and no film (no meter if the batteries are shot), and ask for sure if the film counter counts up normally all the way. That's a common breakage item on those so its actually good to ask that on any MX you bid on. I don't know what film speed he was on but the sqeaky shutter was a bit odd, could just be the video with the shutter speed the camera was set to.
Thanks. That's the sort of insight I really needed. I agree with it being "frustratingly tempting" and it makes me wonder just how far can a camera be brought back from the brink.
04-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Thanks. That's the sort of insight I really needed. I agree with it being "frustratingly tempting" and it makes me wonder just how far can a camera be brought back from the brink.
Buy it. If you can get it for under $50 then I think you will have done well. It doesn't look that bad to me. Once you have cleaned it up with some cotton swabs and some alcohol, it will look a lot better. A CLA with Eric and you will have a nice camera that will last for years.