Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's with the exorbitant pricing for the LX?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was thinking about picking up a mechanical film slr and after doing some research decided the LX would be the ticket. Once I started searching Ebay I was astounded at the prices people are asking for them. Maybe I'll have to settle for a K1000 or MX. Crazy.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-05-2014 at 10:52 PM.
04-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Apparently the camera is well-regarded and the price reflects that perception.*

May we interest you in a nice KX or MX, perhaps?

Steve

* Have you priced a Nikon FM2n recently?

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-05-2014 at 10:55 PM.
04-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What made you decide that it is the camera for you? Many others have the same idea, so the demand is there.

They were very high end cameras in their day, the top of the line from Pentax. They were made in far lower numbers than the K and M bodies. They are expensive to repair and maintain, a CLA on a K1000 might be $60, but on an LX it would be around $200 due to the complexity of it.

My favorite would be the Super Program, tons of features in a small body and still relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain.
04-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm, in fact, doing some research on the MX and KX. DOF preview is something I would miss with the K1000 in some situations.

04-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX was the top of the line premium quality Pentax professional system camera.
It has a combination of features and capabilities no other camera offers and when properly maintained still works very well.

If you think it's expensive now you should have seen the price when it was in production!

Chris
04-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you do miss the DOF with the K1000 then you simply have to set the aperture where you want it, unlock the lens and turn it enough without releasing it and it will stop down. Of course the KM is the step up from the K1000 and has DOF and self timer. You can also attach a mechanical self timer on the K1000 if you need that function. With the K1000, you actually get an SLR with about the same features of the Leica MP but for a lot less money . . .

The KX is of course a solid workhorse that is fully manual with all the features including mirror lockup while the MX is the smallest manual SLR with the largest and brightest viewfinder with user interchangeable screens. It can use the same screens as the LX with minor metering compensation if you're shooting slides.

But, if you need interchangeable viewfinders & screens, compact but robust build, reliable operation, a wide range of manual shutter speeds when batteries are dead, widest unassisted single metering range as well as the only camera that can aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes (I've tested >4 hours) while monitoring the scene for lighting change and adjusting for it accordingly then there is only one camera ever (past or present by any manufacturer) and that is the LX.

Last edited by LesDMess; 04-06-2014 at 07:01 AM.
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
My favorite would be the Super Program, tons of features in a small body and still relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain.
The OP specified a mechanical camera, though I must agree that the Super Program is high value in terms of features.

Steve

04-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even the MX is expensive. On to the KX.
04-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Even the MX is expensive. On to the KX.
Not a whole lot cheaper than an MX, though deals do crop up every once in a while.

I spent $135 for mine, body only.

Steve
04-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
decided the LX would be the ticket
If you can get one, they're a cracking piece professional photographic equipment.
04-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not a whole lot cheaper than an MX, though deals do crop up every once in a while.

I spent $135 for mine, body only.

Steve
What kind of condition? The few I've seen are considerable more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370950600693?lpid=82

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-MX-Black-Camera-w-SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-1-4-Lens-...item2c8023a4ac

Or beat to s***

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-MX-CAMERA-SEE-VIDEO-DEMO-ASAHI-35MM-SLR-FILM-...item20e2f2ccc3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-MX-CAMERA-SEE-VIDEO-DEMO-ASAHI-35MM-SLR-FILM-...item20e2f2ccc3

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.
04-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call any of these cameras expensive in comparison with current camera offerings, or when comparing them to their original pricing.
I've purchased three MXs in the past 6 months, 2 were in immaculate shape and just need a a basic CLA, though they still work fine before that and I've put rolls though each of them. I've so much other stuff accumulate from buying MXs pacakged with other gear that I've had to sell off a large amount of gear I didn't need or was redundant already to what I'd had - I'd say I've already made back what I've spent on all three cams, or just nearly.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 08:18 AM ----------

This is the one I would buy, if you can land it for $100 or less.
Vintage Asashi Pentax MX 35mm Camera w Body Lens Old Case Fixup | eBay

Send it to Eric for CLA and you'll be set for 20 years. My guess is it'll shoot just fine even now. It's used but not abused - obvious from pics. The case is aged but better looking than mine and it has bot sync port caps which is a bit rare sometimes. I rather use the condition of those caps and whether or not they're still around as a sort of barometer for how the cam was used by the owner.

G'luck.
04-07-2014, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I sold my K2 and K2DMD. I sold my SuperPROGRAM.

I'd sell my LX. I'd sell my MX.

I won't sell my KX.
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have gone through three ME Supers in the last three years and my LX is still solid. Plus the S-21 focusing screen means everything to me!!! I paid $200 for my focusing screen and have no regrets.
04-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also the K2DMD, which IMHO runs a close second to the LX.