Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
glad to see the MX being chosen quite often. I love my superA and A series lenses but after acquiring my MX I have truly fell in love with this camera. sometimes I feel that all I need is my MX and smc-M 50mm 1.7.
Well I just got my MX today, so I haven't had a chance to run a roll of film through it yet. I only had few minutes to unpack and examine it, but from a quick once over, the shutter fires and appears to be reasonably accurate(1s, 1/1000 and inbetween do seem to yield different speeds), the lens appears to be functionally ok(although I already have a M50 f1.4 that I was planning to use with the MX) and the film advance seems to work. Cosmetically it's not mint, there are some scratches in the finish, mostly on the base plate, and a ding on the top plate, but for $49 US, I'm pretty happy. I've seen people pay twice that for K1000 bodies without lens, and I'd rather have the MX. Haven't decided whether to keep the M50 f2 or sell it.

After handling one, I always wished I could afford an MX back in the day, but at the time I couldn't, then they discontinued them and didn't directly replace the model with an MX2 like Nikon did with the FM - FM2. Lately every time I found and bid on an MX on fleabay the price would skyrocket to $150-$175, and I just couldn't justify that for a 35mm SLR that I will only use occasionally.

Updated: It looks like I'm going to need to look up Eric, the foam is in pretty rough shape, but otherwise, as far as I can tell my "new to me" MX seems pretty sound. Can't wait to get it back and take it out!

Now to find a cheap LX!

Last edited by brothereye; 06-25-2008 at 05:53 PM.
06-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Though here's a hint about the selenium meters: for example the Gossen Pilot lives in a clamshell case. If it's lived in it all its life the total light exposure will be minimal, even after a couple of decades. These meters are small and handy.
Yep. I picked up a Walz Coronet B that came with a camera and it's apparently always been kept in it's leather case. It's in mint shape and the meter works wonderfully outdoors but you're correct about indoors. There they are pretty much useless. Mostly what I use mine for is taking incident light readings if I need one.

CW
06-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
Now to find a cheap LX!
Good luck with your film cameras! Love those things!

Retired my K1000 last year. It's an old .... workhorse isn't quite right... It's an old WAR-horse of a camera. The K1000s just went everywhere & did everything. I don't think they were really anything all that special, they just developed a reputation over time as being the default 35mm SLR. Cheap, plentiful, easy to fix, lotsa support built up, plenty of lenses to fit, etc., etc.

I recently obtained a P30t for $20 just for the lens that was attached to it. Gotta say that was a nice little camera. Would have used that over my K1000 no problem.

Few days ago the PZ-1 was delivered. Again, got that for the lens that was attached to it. WHAT A CAMERA!! This thing has more electronic magic in it than my computer! Got a roll of film in it right now & have been swapping the lens back & forth with my K100D. I like the PowerZoom lens a bunch. I saw another post about the lens being nothing special, but for a zoom it is terrific and the 28-105mm focal range is ideal on a film body. That zoom is my favorite for an outside walkaround lens on the digital. Very good IQ for a zoom.

This will be only the second AF lens I will use regularly. The first AF is a fast 50. All others are manual focus primes.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 06-25-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typing too fast
06-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Good luck with your film cameras! Love those things!
Thanks, I think part of my thing with film is sentimental. Now that I have rebuilt my film SLR kit, I need to find some tri-x and chemistry and I'll be ready to go since I ran across my tank and 35mm reels over the weekend!

Retired my K1000 last year. It's an old .... workhorse isn't quite right... It's an old WAR-horse of a camera. The K1000s just went everywhere & did everything. I don't think they were really anything all that special, they just developed a reputation over time as being the default 35mm SLR. Cheap, plentiful, easy to fix, lotsa support built up, plenty of lenses to fit, etc., etc.
Loved my K1000. It was my first SLR camera, and it had to put up with all kinds of (unintentional) abuse. I got lucky and won a K1000 w/50mm on eeekbay last night for a reasonable price, and while I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the M50s I have now(3 total), I am eager for it to arrive.

I recently obtained a P30t for $20 just for the lens that was attached to it. Gotta say that was a nice little camera. Would have used that over my K1000 no problem.
The P3x series was not as bad as some people seem to believe. I paid about the same for mine, and it is nice. A friend bought the P5 when they were first release, but I always thought the P3 was nicer. In fact, I liked the P3 better than the ME Super, just don't tell any of the ME Super fans.

06-26-2008, 05:45 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteQuote:
and while I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the M50s I have now(3 total)
I have three as well, all smc-M 1.7's one came with an auto bellows M, one came with a K1000 and one I bought separately. this of course leaves out my smc-A 1.7...
06-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Few days ago the PZ-1 was delivered. Again, got that for the lens that was attached to it. WHAT A CAMERA!! This thing has more electronic magic in it than my computer! Got a roll of film in it right now & have been swapping the lens back & forth with my K100D. I like the PowerZoom lens a bunch. I saw another post about the lens being nothing special, but for a zoom it is terrific and the 28-105mm focal range is ideal on a film body. That zoom is my favorite for an outside walkaround lens on the digital. Very good IQ for a zoom.
I just got a PZ-1 too. I happened to have purchased a 28-105mm power zoom a while back for my K10D, and that now lives on the PZ-1. The PZ-1 feels ** very ** familiar after having used the K10D for a while, and I like the grip better.

BTW, TourDeForce, don't overlook the "macro" close focus on that 28-105 power zoom. It is actually pretty darn good. Adds quite a lot as a walk-around lens to be able to get close. Following both taken with that lens:

06-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #82

I'm not counting the two A50s I have. To be honest, I'm probably going to try to sell at least one of the M50 f2s. They are nice, and personally I've always liked the M series lenses better than the A series, mostly due to the "build" and size of the M series. My original, beaten to death K1000 came with an M series 50, it was bought just as Pentax was switching the K1000 kits to ship the A50 instead.
06-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote

The P3x series was not as bad as some people seem to believe. I paid about the same for mine, and it is nice. A friend bought the P5 when they were first release, but I always thought the P3 was nicer. In fact, I liked the P3 better than the ME Super, just don't tell any of the ME Super fans.
I agree with you on the P3 being a very good camera.

06-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I just got a PZ-1 too. I happened to have purchased a 28-105mm power zoom a while back for my K10D, and that now lives on the PZ-1. The PZ-1 feels ** very ** familiar after having used the K10D for a while, and I like the grip better.

You have omitted the one major flaw of switching between the PZ-1 and a DSLR.

I have the PZ-1, an *istD and K10D.

The controls are so similar to a DSLR, that even though I absolutely know I have a film body in my hand, after every shot, I find myself looking at the camera back waiting for the instant image

If there was ever a camera deserving a digital back as a drop in, this is it.

As for the power zoom, if you want to see it get really confused, put a child on a swing, stand at about 45 degrees to the swing as if you were going to take a shot, and watch the camera try to figure out cyclic motion.

I know, it is not really a fair test but it was the only problem I ever foound with the image size tracking and predictive focus
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #85
Site Supporter

Ugly ducklings

I was so impressed with my wife's new P3n I bought a P30T (for $20.00, in near mint condition).

These bodies offer a combination of useful features not found on other Pentax manual focus models.
IMO exposure memory lock is the most powerful and important additional feature.
When used with substitute metering it makes manual exposure practically unnecessary (though
it's there if you ever need it). This feature is sadly lacking in earlier Pentax models, even the LX.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-27-2008 at 11:54 AM.
06-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #86

I think one of the things the P3 series had to deal with is that the P3 was sort of a replacement for cameras that seemed better built and sturdier. The P3 had a plastic top plate, and plastic for the wind lever and rewind crank and it had a cable release socket in a funny place on the side of the lens mount housing. Like the ME Super it required batteries to operate, but the ME Super had a more sturdy looking body. So did the Super Program/A, and Program Plus/A. The P3 and P5 were styled like traditional MF bodies, with no built-in winder, mostly poly externals, etc. Personally I doubt the P3 and P5 were as sturdy as the metal bodied K1000s, but I've never had problems with my P3, and my friend who owned the P5 never had any problems either.
06-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #87
Site Supporter

FWIW my P30T was assembled in China. Eric tells me all parts for the entire line were made in Japan, though.

Chris
06-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW my P30T was assembled in China. Eric tells me all parts for the entire line were made in Japan, though.
Pentax went to China for the cheap labour to allow them to assemble cameras at a lower cost.
The LX, for example, was a 100% bench built camera, and was very expensive to assemble, though it was always built in Japan. The price of them when new is a reflection of that.

Pentax is still far less automated than the other companies with respect to camera building.
06-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #89
Site Supporter

Indeed, there is no discernible difference in fit or "feel" between my wife's P3n (Japan) and my P30T (China).
The finish is different. The P3n is shiny black plastic; the P30T is a dullish gray (titanium colored?) plastic.

Chris
06-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #90
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
BTW, TourDeForce, don't overlook the "macro" close focus on that 28-105 power zoom. It is actually pretty darn good. Adds quite a lot as a walk-around lens to be able to get close. Following both taken with that lens:

Fantastic pictures! I haven't even tried the macro as yet since my daughter nabbed the whole PZ-1 setup.

No matter. I've also got the newly arrived Sigma 17-70 to play with now. I'm likin' this one too, but it seems to suffer from the yellow cast so common with Sigma glass. I think they add that in an effort to boost edge sharpness & combat PF, but if you snap a shot of something yellow... GAAAHHH!! Blowout!