10-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But your old K2 has company now.

10-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am glad I'm not the only one. That's why most of the time I pick the K2 over my SuperProgram.
I agree, too, but I did always like the Super Program, (Got a Super A for myself I hope to get seals on, soon) even if I didn't trust automatic exposure for my own work at the time. If only they'd kept the ME Super's finder. It didn't used to bother me, but I'm somewhat less quick about dealing with the odd manual metering, having to look all up and down the left side of the finder, which I'm not used to. I was shooting my ME Super the other day and actually decided I was better off in aperture prioity, tired as I was.

I think the KX may be my going favorite for an old-school body. (LXes aside, but ...Probably not for a while, those. )
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What! No SF1n?

I may have missed it when I went through the threads here but one of my all time favorite film cameras seems to have been overlooked. The Pentax SF1n is a great camera. It has served faithfully as my kid, and now grandkid, camera for almost 30 years, capturing literally thousands of great memories.

I own a KX, which I love and use regularly, and I have a very nice digital K200D, but the SF1n is still my everyday, run around town, camera. It does not have as many features as some Pentax cameras but this makes it all that much simpler to use. If I need mirror lock up I pull out the KX. Even though there is no DOF preview, depth of field is not that hard to master if you only use two or three lenses all the time, and for fast-moving grandkids depth of field is usually a moot point anyway. The controls are a bit different then other Pentax cameras since there is not a dial to be found anywhere on it. But after you get used to them, the slide switches are fast and easy to use.

I recently shipped this off to Eric to re-attach the rubber grip, and this is the first service this camera has had, beyond an occasional cleaning by yours truly, in all the time I've owned it. This camera is a quality piece of workmanship like so many Pentax cameras, and I just can't let it be overlooked in this thread. It is reliable, fast and takes really good pictures. For my money that makes this one of Pentax's best film single lens reflex cameras.

10-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But your old K2 has company now.
Oh man, I'm drooling. What a lovely copy - looks perfect!

I looked for a nice black K2 for years and years.

Then I came across this.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-31-2009 at 04:13 PM.
11-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
from a pro stand point the LX, from an advanced amateur standpoint probably the MX for allot of people probably the K1000 (it just has a certain something) but there are plenty of other good cameras. I certainly cant leave out the spotmatics some of which were the most advanced in their class for that era. I for instance adore my superA I had to have it shipped from the UK as they were only available here in the states as the superPROGRAM but I really love it. its the closest you can get to using a modern DSLR but with that old school look and feel (not to mention build quality) of a film SLR. of course im sure plenty of people would feel that some of the MF cameras were the best like the beloved and long running all mechanical masterpiece known as the 67 (6x7). so its really going to be all opinion but strictly speaking the most 'pro' camera pentax ever built would be the LX.

Why did you get the SuperA compared to the super Program. To have it in black, or because of esthetics ?
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
The 67II has basically no shutter shake If you don't believe me someone has a video out on the net of a quarter balancing on the camera with the finder off and the shutter doesn't disrupt the quarter on its edge.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That was me, and it's an American nickel and my 20 year old 6x7.
I expect the newer ones are smoother....
Here it is:
http://www.pdmlpug.org/VIBRATION.MOV
wow, pretty amazing. I thought is was a way more massive impact
11-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #112

It comes down to "Best for what?"

The ME Super is probably the best in terms of value for money. You can pick up a good one for very reasonable sums, add a motor winder and dedicated flash if you choose. However you set it up you have a compact but solid SLR that's a pleasure to use.

For later cameras I like the SF series. Heavy, but well built with AF and a motor drive built in. The F series lenses are still very well thought of and they're not hugely sought after yet.
11-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #113
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Why did you get the SuperA compared to the super Program. To have it in black, or because of esthetics ?

. . .
The SuperA and SuperProgram are the same camera with different names. One name was for U.S. market and the other international.

11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do I have to pick one?

For nostalgia, it's my ME Super. I bought it new.....
For pics...it's the 67II
For build quality, it's my K.

I have a LX but it didn't make it onto the list. I also picked up a MZ-S that I was going to sell, but I decided to shoot a roll through it to make sure it was working well....now I don't want to let it go...
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #115
Pentaxian

I have held my friend's LX, and I've owned a ZX-30. I currently own a *ist, Super Program, Me Super, K1000, and Spotmatic. The LX is a truly lustworthy rig, for a multitude of reasons. But out of the ones I actually own, I think my Super Program is my favorite of the lot; even over the autofocus *ist!

If they made a Super Program with autofocus and a digital back option, I don't think I'd keep any of my other cameras.

Actually, yeah I would.
11-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
If they made a Super Program with autofocus and a digital back option, I don't think I'd keep any of my other cameras.
Wouldn't we all

Steve
11-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #117
Pentaxian

I have owned and used more than a dozen different Pentax film SLR models.
My hands-down favorite is the KX.

Chris
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #118

MZ-S

To me, the MZ-S was the last, and best, Pentax film camera. I used ME, MX, LX, Super Program, SF-1 and ZX-5 before the MZ-S. The LX was great, but it didn't have autofocus or the green button. I use my MZ-S once in a while and my reaction is always "What an awesome camera this is."
11-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I just looked and the MZ-S user manual numbers some 137 pages.
That makes it far more complicated than anything I'd ever be interested in.

IMO a simple manual focus camera is best, and was alway Pentax's forte...

Chris
05-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #120
Veteran Member

How about the Pentax LX Millennium Special edition? Perhaps the last Pentax manual 35mm.
Sorry to resuscitate this old thread, but I think I'm in love!!! Even though I now count myself amongst the dSLR generation, this truly is a thing of pure beauty....I think my lust for a Leica M6 TTL has been replaced.

Last edited by stillshunter; 05-29-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: formatting